Opinions on Suspension setup ST165

Suspension and other discussion

Re: Opinions on Suspension setup ST165

Postby ZeroDrift » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:55 pm

I personally would advise against poly bushings for the chassis for a street car. Select bushings would be fine, but it honestly does make a car very harsh. This is my experience when I was younger and am even more set against this for a street car. This of course is more in reference to the super stiff poly bushings, as I'm sure there are several out there that are more along the stock durometers.

As far as coilovers: The primary issue with most sub $2k coilovers is that they often get coil bind right out of the box, and the dampers are typically cheap universal drop in modules. Stick withe Koni struts, or if you are set on coilovers buy a used set and toss the spring in favor of Swift Springs and remove the stock damper in place of a Koni insert. The wife and I have deemed the Bilstein PSS9 coilovers in this category as well and have moved to better suspensions.

Best of luck with your endeavors!
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
ZeroDrift
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Re: Opinions on Suspension setup ST165

Postby Mafix » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:37 pm

mathmatecally the coilovers i have, combined with the sway bars, combined with many other factors

megan street 182 coilovers (remember mine is fwd)
st 182 rear sway bar
poly everything
upgraded heim endlinks adjusted to zero preload
ect

with the supplied springs and all the crap i have the suspension is on good for a 2500lb car. (8k front 4k rear)
FYI. building suspension is not cheap or easy but generally yeilds a little better result than what i have. the only reason this works for me is because my car fully loaded is 2700lbs.
Mafix
Gold Member

Previous

Return to Handling and Braking