Hydro-Ebrake

Suspension and other discussion

Re: Hydro-Ebrake

Postby rallygarage » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:16 pm

I have a handbrake on my rally car. Works well. All 3 of my diffs are plated. No visco and no torsen. I run gravel events usually.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
rallygarage
Club Member

Postby l0ch0w » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:47 am

^dont you still run the risk of torquing off your transfer-case?
Andrew

1991 Red Alltrac
Frankenstein engine, lots of mods :P
l0ch0w
Established Member

1991 Toyota Celica

Postby klue » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:49 pm

you guys sound like some pussss EEEE's
clutch in when you use it, how hard is that. If you break it then i guess you didnt clutch in...

:smokes:
facebook.com/xiiimotorsports
#xiiimotorsports ON instagram
klue
GTFour God

Postby 4rsnduction » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:59 pm

klue wrote:you guys sound like some pussss EEEE's
clutch in when you use it, how hard is that. If you break it then i guess you didnt clutch in...

:smokes:

Even with the clutch pressed in the rear wheels and front wheels are still turning because the car is in motion.
If the wheels are turning then there is some torque on the drive shafts, tail shaft and throughout the gearbox and transfer box.
Locking the rear wheels and tail shaft with the handbrake will still stress the shit out of the transfer and VC because the front wheels still spin in the forwards direction.
4rsnduction
Club Member

Postby ccmo612 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:51 am

Hydro hand brake is not worth it unless you are going to be using it all the time such as a rally. You just use the hand brake to break the car loose in the rear you don't need to get back on the power until you disengage it because you need all four wheels to push you through and out of the corner. So in any normal situation you are not going to be at full power and torque when you use it.
ccmo612

1988 Toyota Celica

Postby l0ch0w » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:51 am

I can see where it would be useful in a high dollar rally where they can afford to replace the dog-geared transmission and clutch type center diff after each race.. But unless you are a professional team, I just don't see where it's useful...

@klue: why the heck would it even matter if the clutch is in? Spinning wheels and vehicle momentum will have an exponentially greater amount of force load on the drive train than the engine could ever produce...
Andrew

1991 Red Alltrac
Frankenstein engine, lots of mods :P
l0ch0w
Established Member

1991 Toyota Celica

Postby klue » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:46 pm

l0ch0w wrote:I can see where it would be useful in a high dollar rally where they can afford to replace the dog-geared transmission and clutch type center diff after each race.. But unless you are a professional team, I just don't see where it's useful...

@klue: why the heck would it even matter if the clutch is in? Spinning wheels and vehicle momentum will have an exponentially greater amount of force load on the drive train than the engine could ever produce...

Your basically saying the same thing the last person said.

Yes I get it vehicle in motion, take into consideration that if your racing/rally you dont give a shit about breaking stuff. You want to get that car around the course as fast as you can, and if that means shortening the life of a transmission then so be it.

clutch in take the engines torque off the drivetrain, and its just got to deal with some rotating mass. A a lot easier thatn 350ftlbs.
facebook.com/xiiimotorsports
#xiiimotorsports ON instagram
klue
GTFour God

Postby rallygarage » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:08 pm

Last night I asked at our rally shop and got this answer. Ideally in rally you will have simple plated 1.5 LSDs in all three positions. When you lift off gas pedal all 3 diffs will unlock. That allows handbrake action without damadge. I wouner if any of dog gear kit manufacturers have any diff solutions for front and center. I also wounder how plated LSD will work as center diff for street use. No answer about visco and Hydro-Ebrake.

The pipe dream here is an active center diff that will unlock when you pull Ebrake. Evo and STI can have that for street.
rallygarage
Club Member

Postby 4rsnduction » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:32 pm

rallygarage wrote:pipe dream

yes
4rsnduction
Club Member

Previous

Return to Handling and Braking