Suggestions on installing poly bushings

celigts

Hey guys so I finally paid for my gt4 poly bushings :/ but I have them in transit now non the less and plan on doing my subframe and the poly bushings all at once since ill be unemployed again. I wanna take advantage of that and get this done before I start looking for another job so cuz I have the time to do it.

Ill be doing it all at home and wanna know what's a good lubricant to use for both so they can freely move however they want without damaging the bushing.

Killtodie

I used Mobile 1 synth grease when I did my Conquest.

GREASE everything, inside and out. Clean everything too, if you are burning out the old bushing, wire brush everything so the metal is nice and shiny.

and grease everything! First time I did my bushing I had to later remove the subframe and redo everything (also paint it all in por15) cause I had so much squeaking. The little packet that comes with grease is never enough.

Hotrodhendrix

Killtodie":2t4ksjef said:
I used Mobile 1 synth grease when I did my Conquest.

GREASE everything, inside and out. Clean everything too, if you are burning out the old bushing, wire brush everything so the metal is nice and shiny.

and grease everything! First time I did my bushing I had to later remove the subframe and redo everything (also paint it all in por15) cause I had so much squeaking. The little packet that comes with grease is never enough.

MMMMM conquest tsi/ Starion mmmmmmm

celigts

Por15 does sound like an option. Would the por be affected if I was powder coating the arms and stuff that fits in a household oven? Anyone know. Also should I stay with a silicone based grease as mentioned or packing grease, the synthetic grease.

Burning the bushings out is my plan but! Will it compromise the steel strength? Make it weaker?

Killtodie

Either use POR15 or powder coat.

Burning bushing should not damage the steel, you really only let it burn for like 2 minutes so the rubber just falls out. It never gets red hot, just a small flame. Just cleanup all residue afterwards.

This is the grease I recommend. You can use it for bearings and any other lubrication. It's good against water resistance and rust
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Mot ... rease.aspx

POR15 is sensitive to UV so if you want, you can top coat it with some paint, primer it and then paint over it. But since this is chassis stuff, it will never see the light of day or get UV damaged.

Fox 21 Alpha

Did you guys coat the actual inside of the bushing surface (on the subframe) with POR15? I was considering it since I have some rust I had to remove, but I'm wondering if it will be too thick and not allow the bushing to fit in.

Killtodie

No. The paint will rub off. Grease all points where bushings touch metal. Just get a wire brush and attach it to a drill and clean the inside surface

Grease the inside of the control arm, the outside of the bushings, the inside of the bushing, the metal rod that goes through the bushing.

Any access grease will get squeezed out, just wipe it.

IMG_5875.JPG

IMG_9576.JPG

IMG_9666.JPG

IMG_9697.JPG

IMG_9695.JPG

IMG_9749.JPG

underscore

I got my RC's set pressed by a shop, but for my GTS I'm gonna try to do it with a DIY puller, I posted up the concept in another thread a few weeks back. Burning that rubber stunk like hell and seemed to take forever for the larger subframe bushings so I won't bother with that again.

As far as grease goes the GT4 Racing kits comes with a tonne of grease, I have no clue what it really is cause it's labelled in Polish but it seemed to work well on my motor mounts and swaybar bushings.

celigts

underscore":2oaf4eic said:
I got my RC's set pressed by a shop, but for my GTS I'm gonna try to do it with a DIY puller, I posted up the concept in another thread a few weeks back. Burning that rubber stunk like hell and seemed to take forever for the larger subframe bushings so I won't bother with that again.

As far as grease goes the GT4 Racing kits comes with a tonne of grease, I have no clue what it really is cause it's labelled in Polish but it seemed to work well on my motor mounts and swaybar bushings.

I bet if you used a respirator you wouldn't have smelt it :) many nasty things stay out if that mask.

Landon

When I did my rear suspension bushings(GT4 poly) I only used the grease that was supplied and I haven't heard a squeak since and its been a good 4 years now. If you could get access to a press that would make life a lot easier with both removal and install. That or a puller set-up might work as well. Good luck man!

celigts

Landon":1m2er2tx said:
When I did my rear suspension bushings(GT4 poly) I only used the grease that was supplied and I haven't heard a squeak since and its been a good 4 years now. If you could get access to a press that would make life a lot easier with both removal and install. That or a puller set-up might work as well. Good luck man!

Well I'm very lucky I do have a farmer friend with a hydronic press. Now to find him on a time he isn't busy lol it's gonna be hard to do it now dang it. Parents are trying to sell the house... Might not be able to scatter the car over the garage lol

If gt4 supplies with a sufficient amount or grease ill be fine.

Don't think weather is gonna make the difference right?

Landon

well what way would weather effect it? lol. if you do it outside might be pia if it snows or something. but if you can get access to that press that will make your life a hell of a lot easier. Just get all the parts off your car and out with the old, in with the new bushings and you're good. thats what i did and it was fairly straight forward. check my project if you want to see some crappy pictures of what i did. lol

celigts

I think I might have to do that. And just meaning will the bushings and grease be good for -40 weather. Shouldn't be a problem I don't think

Landon

oh got ya. No, I don't think you should have any issues there. I live in a fairly cold place myself and haven't noticed an issue. Theoretically I don't see why it would make a noticeable difference.

underscore

I've got a slight imperfection in one of the rear subframe bushing holder spots, there's a slight gouge and now a bit of metal sticking up from that gouge. What's going to be the safest and easiest way to remove this excess metal so I don't damage the bushing?

celigts

Landon":1umppor4 said:
oh got ya. No, I don't think you should have any issues there. I live in a fairly cold place myself and haven't noticed an issue. Theoretically I don't see why it would make a noticeable difference.

Well this is the time to ask before install so that's good to hear.

Should post a pic o the metal piece in the bushing Underscore