Celica ST205 Front Brake Issues.

Suspension and other discussion

Celica ST205 Front Brake Issues.

Postby Mickey205 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:44 pm

Hey Guys,

As of lately, Ive noticed that each time I mash the brakes, there is a small creaking sound coming from the front brake calipers(hoping it is) as if under some sort of stress idk . The sound occurs ONLY when I mash the brake pedal.

Could it be that the brake calipers and it components wanna be serviced? You feedback would be much appreciated.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
1996 Toyota Starlet Glanza (SOLD)
1994 Toyota Celica Gt4 St205 WRC - Daily Driven
Mickey205
Newbie
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Celica ST205 Front Brake Issues.

Postby 83841 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:44 pm

Possible ABS issue? or IBS? j.k. could be struts/springs/calipars... any audio or video would help.
-1977 Celica GT (white) Sold
-1980 Celica Coupe (Brown) Sold
-2000 Celica GT-S (Black) Sold
-1993 MR2 (Teal) Sold
-2007 FJ Cruiser (Black) Sold
-2006 Evo IX MR (Grey) - Garaged
-2008 S2000 (Silver) - daily
-1994 Celica GT-FOUR - WRC (Silver) - Garaged
83841
Club Member
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: Celica ST205 Front Brake Issues.

Postby Mickey205 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:56 pm

83841 wrote:Possible ABS issue? or IBS? j.k. could be struts/springs/calipars... any audio or video would help.


My gt4 does not come with ABS. Therefore you gotta rule that out.
1996 Toyota Starlet Glanza (SOLD)
1994 Toyota Celica Gt4 St205 WRC - Daily Driven
Mickey205
Newbie
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Celica ST205 Front Brake Issues.

Postby phattyduck » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:26 pm

Are you sure it is coming from the calipers? I would guess it is inside the car from the stress of your foot on the pedal.

-Charlie
'89 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GTE - SV25/ST205 hybrid
'99 4Runner SR5 4WD 5VZ-FE
Previous: '88 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GE BEAMS, '90 Camry 3S-GTE, '90 Camry DX
User avatar
phattyduck
Established Member
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:09 am
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: Celica ST205 Front Brake Issues.

Postby Mickey205 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:43 pm

phattyduck wrote:Are you sure it is coming from the calipers? I would guess it is inside the car from the stress of your foot on the pedal.

-Charlie


I have proven that it is coming from at calipers. When i mash the brake pedal and the car is moving at even a rolling pace from rest, once i mash the pedal it sounds like something is pressing against something and when i let go the pedal i hear like its releasing...Thats why i am of the assumption that is the brake calipers.
1996 Toyota Starlet Glanza (SOLD)
1994 Toyota Celica Gt4 St205 WRC - Daily Driven
Mickey205
Newbie
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Celica ST205 Front Brake Issues.

Postby Overtriped » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Take them off the car, look at the pads, test each piston with pump pliers or a C clamp to make sure non of them are seized open. Make sure you have the Anti squeal Springs in place, take the boots off the rods and clean/re grease them, wire brush the "slidders" where the brake pads seat. put them back on the car, make sure the pads move back and fourth freely, if not you may have to grind them down a bit.

I'm constantly battling my truck's 4-pot calipers. Ive had 2 frozen pistons ( they are rebuildable) but i just get remaned calipers though for like 40 bucks minus the core charge. Ive gone through like 3 sets of pads in the last 3 years and im ready for another set already. ( never replace the rotors plus i brake pretty hard)I also have to grind the pads down to make them fit EVERY time. :shoots: When the pads go on mine they make a really bad Grinding sound, makes the same sound when the pistons are stuck too. Hope this helps. :D
90 ST185~205
04 Tundra V6 5spd 2wd
TOYOTA JUNKIE
Overtriped
Club Member
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:33 am
Location: Windham, Maine

Re: Celica ST205 Front Brake Issues.

Postby gt4tified » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:59 am

Could be that the sliders are sticking. Make sure all caliper bracket bolts are in good condition and properly torqued, check rotor and disc pads for uneven or abnormal wear.
ST185 JDM GT-FOUR RC- "White Trash"
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8264/dynographsmallstretchedmu9.jpg[/img][/url]
gt4tified
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3151
Images: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:22 pm
Location: Trinidad, W.I.

Re: Celica ST205 Front Brake Issues.

Postby Mickey205 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Overtriped wrote:Take them off the car, look at the pads, test each piston with pump pliers or a C clamp to make sure non of them are seized open. Make sure you have the Anti squeal Springs in place, take the boots off the rods and clean/re grease them, wire brush the "slidders" where the brake pads seat. put them back on the car, make sure the pads move back and fourth freely, if not you may have to grind them down a bit.

I'm constantly battling my truck's 4-pot calipers. Ive had 2 frozen pistons ( they are rebuildable) but i just get remaned calipers though for like 40 bucks minus the core charge. Ive gone through like 3 sets of pads in the last 3 years and im ready for another set already. ( never replace the rotors plus i brake pretty hard)I also have to grind the pads down to make them fit EVERY time. :shoots: When the pads go on mine they make a really bad Grinding sound, makes the same sound when the pistons are stuck too. Hope this helps. :D


I on my second of brake pads(non genuine) which i hate so much due to the stopping distance has increased significantly when they are hot as oppose to the genuine brake pads that the car came with. I will take your advise and pull the calipers apart and check/clean the pistons and re grease everything...Thank a lot dude!!!!
1996 Toyota Starlet Glanza (SOLD)
1994 Toyota Celica Gt4 St205 WRC - Daily Driven
Mickey205
Newbie
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Celica ST205 Front Brake Issues.

Postby Mickey205 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:19 pm

gt4tified wrote:Could be that the sliders are sticking. Make sure all caliper bracket bolts are in good condition and properly torqued, check rotor and disc pads for uneven or abnormal wear.


Thanks I will try that!!! however I would like to know form you, where in Trini.. I could POSSIBLY get a ST202 OEM lip kit or one for the ST205?
1996 Toyota Starlet Glanza (SOLD)
1994 Toyota Celica Gt4 St205 WRC - Daily Driven
Mickey205
Newbie
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Celica ST205 Front Brake Issues.

Postby gt4tified » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:52 pm

Mickey205 wrote:
gt4tified wrote:Could be that the sliders are sticking. Make sure all caliper bracket bolts are in good condition and properly torqued, check rotor and disc pads for uneven or abnormal wear.


Thanks I will try that!!! however I would like to know form you, where in Trini.. I could POSSIBLY get a ST202 OEM lip kit or one for the ST205?


where are you from...and do you want just the front lip or all around?
ST185 JDM GT-FOUR RC- "White Trash"
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8264/dynographsmallstretchedmu9.jpg[/img][/url]
gt4tified
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3151
Images: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:22 pm
Location: Trinidad, W.I.

Re: Celica ST205 Front Brake Issues.

Postby Mickey205 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:47 pm

gt4tified wrote:
Mickey205 wrote:
gt4tified wrote:Could be that the sliders are sticking. Make sure all caliper bracket bolts are in good condition and properly torqued, check rotor and disc pads for uneven or abnormal wear.


Thanks I will try that!!! however I would like to know form you, where in Trini.. I could POSSIBLY get a ST202 OEM lip kit or one for the ST205?


where are you from...and do you want just the front lip or all around?


I am from Antigua. I would like to get the all around lip kit. If possible. Do you have Facebook, if so whats ur profile name? The st202 lip kit would work well on the car.
1996 Toyota Starlet Glanza (SOLD)
1994 Toyota Celica Gt4 St205 WRC - Daily Driven
Mickey205
Newbie
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:12 pm


Return to Handling and Braking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest