CXRacing Coil-overs review

Domspun

Needed a cheap suspension for my daily driver, a 92 GT-Four, so I got the cheapest I can find on eBay. I bought an FMIC kit from CXRacing for my ST205 about two years ago and it's still doing great and it was the cheapest I could find. Really best bang for the buck! So I decided to buy from them again.

Out of the box, they are very well made, look very high quality and sturdy. I was expecting a lot less quality. One nice feature is that the height is adjustable from the body without moving the spring or the stroke of the shock. Installation went almost perfect, the hardest part was removing the old suspension and rear end-links holes were too tight, had to drill them. I did not use the brake hose brackets, I tie-wrap my hoses! :p The front ones were slotted, but not the rear. I always used tie-wraps on my GT-Fours, a lot easier to change parts! :D

Since it's my daily driver and we have terrible roads, I set them to full soft and almost stock height. It is surprisingly comfortable. It's a little firmer, but you only notice it on sharp bumps. Can't complain, they delivered.

I will test them on the track on June 24th.

We'll see for reliability, stay tuned!

Domspun

After on week of driving, I chose to change stiffness setting up 4 clicks stiffer. It was a little too bouncy. At full soft, it was almost like having no shocks.

New Guy

They're tempting... But how do they compare in ride/performance/longevity to other budget coilovers? (Tein SS, BC Racing, etc.)

Domspun

On the street, ride quality is as good as almost any coil-overs I had a chance to have a ride in or drive. As for performance I will see on the track in June. For longevity, only time will tell! :shrug:

New Guy

Have you ever had your hands on something like BC Racing coils to compare against? I'm curious how beefy these really are.

Mine will never see any real rallying but my struts are about gone and Celica coilovers cost hardly any more than a set of Camry struts/springs/mounts.

fussellbug

The pictures on the CXRacing website look nearly identical to the Megan Racing coilovers. They may be made by the same manufacturer.

Domspun

fussellbug":2li5q9eh said:
The pictures on the CXRacing website look nearly identical to the Megan Racing coilovers. They may be made by the same manufacturer.
Yeah, I was told that BC, Megan and those, are all made by the same manufacturer. BC use a different body size, so the parts are not compatible, but apparently, they are all the same inside. :shrug:

Domspun

Update

Went on the track last monday. I setted the damping to full hard front and rear. Since the spring rates are not very high, it was still a "street-friendly". It was a lot better than lowering spring and sport shocks. To be a full race setup, it would need a lot stiffer springs. Also a rear sway-bar upgrade would make this a decent setup.

For a daily driver with occasionnal track time, I would totally recommend these coil-overs. For the price it's very hard to beat.

Domspun

Still good! Getting ready for the real test, winter!

I went to Shannonville. It's the best track to test stuff out. Big variety of curves plus I have a lot of experience on it. I went at least once a year for the last 10 years!

Domspun

Winter update.

Still running good. When it's -20c they are hard as hell! I guess they have very cheap oil in them and it gets too thick for a proper valving. I wonder how long will they last? When they're shot, I'm getting Koni inserts! :D

celica_gtx

Nice I've had my eye on these aswell as the Koni. Thanks for tje info I'm the same way u can never be to sure. But at tje end of the day u gotta think about ur goals n how often are u tracking the car. Gunna make my decision ina month or 2

Domspun

Car hasn't moved a lot since the accident. Luckily they survived the impact! Only the bottom bolt hole snapped off, but I got it rewelded. Now it's back on the car. Only need a little body work and an alignment and I'm good to go! :D