Can I install struts with ground controls from home?

Suspension and other discussion

Re: Can I install struts with ground controls from home?

Postby 88st165 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Haha. There were a couple reasons why I made my own spring couplers. There are many available off the shelf that hold the springs on the inside diameter. This wouldn't work for me since the spring perch would interfere with it so I made mine hold the springs on the OD. Also I found one version that hold the OD but the ID on it was still present so I would have to fork over the $100 for a pair and still machine them for clearance. Lastly, making stuff is just fun anyway lol.

I def would look onto helper springs if you are having issues with the springs leaving the seat while driving but you really shouldn't experience that unless you're getting air or lifting tires off the ground when turning. I just did it bc it would piss me off to make sure the springs seat correctly every time I lower my car. I change wheels alot for track and dd and autox since I use my civic for all that. (Haven't driven my celicas in 3+yrs. Common trend with some of us lol)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Red st165 - Garage Queen turned wannabe track rat
White st165 - slapping back together and hoping for the best
Black st165 - gone
2011 FA5 - Family Truckster
88st165
Established Member

Postby underscore » Wed May 08, 2013 8:17 pm

My GTS ran into issues when I hit a big frost heave (with really old struts mind you) and the spring was able to shift so when the weight came back down, the spring was crooked. It ended up toasting the inside of my tire :(
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby 88st165 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:08 pm

Def a good reason to get helpers but by the time you add up the GC kit, helpers, struts, camber plates, you are already well into the range of entry level coilovers like Megans, ksports, d2s, cx, xyz etc. which I think is money well spent at that point. That's why I had Megans on my red 165 before I sold them to bloodmoney. Kinda wish I didn't to be honest bc then is prob be driving my car right now lol.
Black st165 - gone
88st165
Established Member

Postby lumbercis » Thu May 09, 2013 5:11 pm

^Koni inserts are better quality than any 'entry-level' coilover you can buy. If you just need simple street suspension to replace old parts there's nothing wrong with getting cheapo coilovers but if you plan to do any kind of auto sport and care about handling you'd be better off with Koni inserts and coilover sleeves. They're really a bargain for what you get. Just a little more effort to piece together.
Caldina powered...
lumbercis
Gold Member

Postby 88st165 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:31 pm

Yes I realize that and that's why I use them on my other car. I did not mention any strut brand specifically but my point was that even with kyb agx's which aren't that great (I have those as well) still the cost is almost more than an entry level coilover. Plus you have to package it and deal with minor issues that come along with piecing things together rather than running something that was designed to be together. I'm not advocating the use of cheap entry level coilovers at all (I sold my Megan's) I am merely saying for those who want something to bolt on its not a bad option when you consider it as a whole (camber plates, independent height and spring preload adjust, pillow ball mounts, etc). For those who want all out performance at a decent cost then GC sleeves and koni inserts are prob the best bang for the buck. I am not trying to force my opinion on anyone just expressing it, sorry for getting a bit off topic.

Good luck with the install.
Black st165 - gone
88st165
Established Member

Postby celigts » Thu May 09, 2013 10:03 pm

No problem and love the discussion upon the question. Helps me decide what to get and sounds like Koni yellows are what I should be getting. Anyone know they they have some for our rear end? I heard its limited for what fits without modifying. For the top mountings should anything be purchased? Is camber plate needed? Pillow mount is aftermarket upgrade?

I'm new to suspension.
91 Celica Alltrac - Parts pile pending instal :P
3SGTE project motor very slow
Intake/Heat shield project slowly moving
Winnipegs respected TTI forum. join and love the community will welcome you with open arms and legs ? http://toptierimports.com/
celigts
Established Member

Postby 88st165 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:24 pm

For when I ran the kyb agx's I used 4 front strut inserts and did the strut conversion in the rear. Had to drill out the rear top hat to accept the larger diameter of the front strut rod. Not really an issue. I'm sure there are other ways people have done it using strut inserts from other models.
Black st165 - gone
88st165
Established Member

Postby celigts » Fri May 10, 2013 3:16 pm

So all ill need to do is drill the strut cap for the different diameter? That's simple!!!!

So are the rear an insert like the fronts? Haven't removed the rears on here yet or touched the fronts. Waiting to get the car home.
Winnipegs respected TTI forum. join and love the community will welcome you with open arms and legs ? http://toptierimports.com/
celigts
Established Member

Postby underscore » Fri May 10, 2013 3:50 pm

I believe the rears are a sealed unit and require some modification to accept inserts.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby 88st165 » Fri May 10, 2013 4:50 pm

No not that simple. Need to do the rear strut conversion which I mentioned I did in my previous post. Search it and you will find lots of info on it.
Black st165 - gone
88st165
Established Member

Postby celigts » Fri May 10, 2013 10:37 pm

K I will yet. Once I get there ill research it. Now I know tho that I am capable of installing the fronts from home.
celigts
Established Member

Previous

Return to Handling and Braking