Chassis Reinforcement, Options and Ideas

thespen

So, I currently am restoring the chassis on my 90 alltrac. I have it up on jack stands and completely stripped down. Originally I had planned on stitching the chassis but for my purposes, at the moment, I’m not sure if that is the best idea. I intend to weld in some reinforcement; a rear tower brace and some pinch rail work at the least. After scraping off the majority of the seam sealer I’ve noticed that the stock spots are pretty frequent as is. In most places there is less than 2” between.

My question is this: given that most people who seam/stitch weld do 1” on 1” off this will line it up exactly between the existing spots. Is the best idea to still stich EVERY seam or are there certain seams that benefit more and others that would not. Since I am still not sure whether it is the best idea to do a full stich job what other reinforcements could be done to help improve the chassis rigidity without adding a cage? If anyone has stich welded their chassis and could comment on the handling performance before and after it would be great to hear what you think.

I am well aware of the dangers and concerns involved with stitching a chassis so that’s not part of my consideration in whether or not to go ahead. Really what I’d like to accomplish with this thread is to get a good idea of what people on the forum regard as the most effective chassis reinforcements. Since I’m looking to keep a visually stock interior the least intrusive methods will be the most valuable. I look forward to seeing what ideas we can come up with!