Baller on a Budget BBK (BBBBK)

bajallama

So here it goes, another All Trac brake thread. I liked all the other ones but I'm not throwing down $800 for calipers whether it be Porsche or ST205, I refuse to dump that much money in an 80's Toyota. So here is my BBBBK for you all to enjoy and copy me if you want.

Just a little background, I'm an aerospace engineer who competed in Formula SAE while in college. I've owned $hitty 80's Toyotas since I was 17 and I still haven't learned.

I might make a kit available if there is an interest.

I have a blog that I post the updates too, so through the process I will just put links to it and make this thread open to discussion and criticism.

And for a taste, I will be using 04 Subie Sti front rotors (which has been discussed here) 03 LS430 4 pot front calipers and for the Rear 06 Legacy vented rotors (Same size Parking brake drum!!) and 03 LS430 2 pot calipers. All this stuff is brand new that I am buying from my local auto parts store, so if you hit the local scrap yard, you might get the stuff cheaper but for rotors and calipers I'm only at $480 for new rotors and rebuilt calipers!

More info:

http://www.projectz61.com/beginning-to-stop-this-pig/

bajallama

There's no spacers, it will be just the rings that locate the rotor on to the hub properly. they may need to be tackwelded onto the rotor since the bore diameter is so close.

I have no idea what the brackets and rings will cost, you guys will be the first to know. Just seeing if there will be an interest.

underscore

I'm interested in the rears since I already got the Porsche kit for the front. Although, I spent a lot less on calipers than $800

deecee

Of note, my engineer had a bit of a rough time lathing the hubcentric centre rings to fit the 58mm centre sti rotors to the 54.1mm spigot. With an annulus of 2mm thickness, he said if he had the opportunity to open the rotor centre to 60-62mm, making the hubcentric rings would have been easier for him. Then again, I didn't want to lathe rotors every time i needed to change rotors.

C-dubb

I've been looking into BBK options, but don't want to pay $900 for a brembo or Ksport kit just for fronts. I would rather do a little more work and save some money. Looking forward to seeing how this setup turns out.

ALLensTRAC

After seeing this I did some digging regarding the Leggy GT rotors. They are 290mm diameter stock. It looks as though Racingbrake.com carries a 316x18mm rotor upgrade for them. This might be a good option for US available rotors that could be used with 205 rear calipers.

As for the LS calipers, have you looked into pad options yet? I don't know if they have any performance pads available yet but when I checked a couple years ago they didn't.
Good luck with the project and I will keep an eye on this as well!!

bajallama

EBC makes pads for the LS, just Google it. I'll have to bring up my calc sheet again but from what I remember of it, the rear gain was going to be too high if you went any larger of a rotor. I'll check again but the legacy rotor I think should be plenty. I'm getting some other things done to the setup that won't be required to keep it budget like SS lines, cyro treating the rotors and out-gassing the pads.

bajallama

So an update on the Legacy Rear setup.

There is an interference with the hub and the inner diameter of the legacy rotor. If you look at the legacy rotor you can see there is a little step in which the rotor indexes on. So if you use the Legacy rotor you will need to machine your hub down to that diameter. I assume it's safe because it's that way on the Legacy. The good news about this is that if you machine it, you will no longer need the ring since the rotor will be indexing on the outer portion of the hub, not the center. That is definitely a better way since it is an outer diameter and a lot more meat.

So I thought, cool, just pull the hub turn it on my lathe and I can start taking measurements for the caliper mount. Nope, I spent about 8 hours trying to get that damn hub off. The splines rusted themselves to the hub and it will not let loose. Tried a sledge, WD, a torch and every combination. I even bought the Harbor Freight 5 ton gear puller and it still wouldn't budge. So I had to pull the whole upright off and not its going in a press to pop it out.

polm

Got my eyes on this! Btw, porterfield also makes the R4S performance pads for the ls430 so that's an option too. I know many suppliers such as raybestos make premium grade pads for the ls430, a much cheaper alternative than performance pads. Good luck!

New Guy

I'm a big fan of BrakeBest ceramic pads. I haven't noticed any significant fade even on track days and they wear like iron... And they're easy on the discs, too.

bajallama

Update!

http://www.projectz61.com/bugger/

ALWAYS PUT ANTI-SEEZE ON YOUR AXLE SPLINES!!!!!!

or this bully happens:

DSC_0019.jpg

bajallama

Sad to say it will not be a bolt on affair. There will be some maching of your hub and a small amount to the rotor. THe stupid legacy rotor has a lip that hits the parking brake bracket. Small things that your local Napa should be able to do on a lathe.

bajallama

Put the rear on hold since it looks like that rear caliper is not going to work after all, but I did get the rotor to fit really good.

So I switched to the fronts and it's looking good. Let me know if you guys would be interested in buying brackets for the front. I can get quotes from shops to machine these parts if you guys are interested. Remember these calipers are only $70 each and the rotors are about $50.

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg