Baller on a Budget BBK (BBBBK)

Suspension and other discussion

Re: Baller on a Budget BBK (BBBBK)

Postby ALLensTRAC » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:45 pm

Cuttyman9 wrote:On the F sport I didnt see where they used the 6 pots, I only saw a caliper similar to the is350 one.
the isf def uses a 6 pot.

The GS Fsport does not. It uses a different mono block body with IS350 specs.

The IS250/350 has an available add on F sport brake kit which is 6 piston front and 4 piston rear using large 2-piece drilled rotors. This is only available as an add on through the F sport accessory catalog. These kits have been confirmed as Stoptech kits rebranded as Fsport.

The ISF uses 1 piece 14.25 drilled front rotors with brembo 6 piston front calipers and 345mm rear 1 piece drilled rear rotors with 2 piston brembo calipers.

I hope that clears up some of the confusion.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Allen

1992 Toyota Celica Alltrac "Never ending Project"
2014 Lexus CT200h Redline/Black "Daily project"
2006 Toyota Highlander Wifes daily
ALLensTRAC
Club Member

Postby Cuttyman9 » Thu May 01, 2014 3:24 am

Haha yeah, I never really looked into it.

I ordered a pair of those rotors.
Should be interesting to see what shows up.

I realized on the rear of my car I can remove the backing plate and it removes the two ears for the calipers which is cool cuz I can do away with all of that, make a backing plate/bracket that houses some wilwood mechanical E brake calipers and a pair of dual pot calipers to plop on (whichever I decide on) then a reasonable sized rotor with no worries of drum sizes.
1992 Celica GT Hatch
1971 Cutlass
1967 Chevelle
1975 Trans Am
1966 C20 Long Bed
1999 F150
Cuttyman9
Club Member

Postby underscore » Thu May 01, 2014 3:45 am

I noticed something interesting working on my 1987 RX7 the other day, the rear brake caliper serves as both the rear brakes and the ebrake. It has the normal hydraulic connection and then some kind of internal system that allows the cable connection to operate the caliper hydraulicly. Presumably this isn't the only car that does this sort of thing, so could retrofitting a caliper set up like this allow us to remove the factory drum style ebrake and not worry about rotor sizing as much?
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby ALLensTRAC » Thu May 01, 2014 10:19 am

Cuttyman9 wrote:Haha yeah, I never really looked into it.

I ordered a pair of those rotors.
Should be interesting to see what shows up.

I realized on the rear of my car I can remove the backing plate and it removes the two ears for the calipers which is cool cuz I can do away with all of that, make a backing plate/bracket that houses some wilwood mechanical E brake calipers and a pair of dual pot calipers to plop on (whichever I decide on) then a reasonable sized rotor with no worries of drum sizes.

Oh now that is definitely the ideal solution although I'm not sure how close our rear spindle backing plate stud pattern matches up to the 184's. If you do decide to make that bracket I would be interested in buying them. This is a great weight reducer to as then we can run a 2 piece rear rotor with a smaller hub. Maybe with this you could make it for the MKIV supra rear rotor using those LS calipers the OP has or the 300zx calipers could work too! So many possibilities using the Wilwood parking brake calipers!! Look at Alltrac101's project thread as there are pics of his rear bracket using wilwood stuff.
Allen

ALLensTRAC
Club Member

Postby MWP » Fri May 02, 2014 1:27 am

I think the LS430 rear calipers will work with a ST205 rotor on the back of a 185 (not sure about 165).
With the weight at the front, and the shift in CoG, the rears dont do too much, so I cant see the need to go any larger than the 205 rotor on the rear.
I might end up running LS430 calipers all round... ive found a set for $500.

BTW... some cars also run two rear calipers.
One for the handbrake/ebrake and one for normal braking.
Handbrake/ebrake should NEVER be hydraulic.
My collection of GT4 documentation: http://gt4.mwp.id.au
Daily: Celica GT4 ST185 (~170kw/atw)
Project: Toyota RA28 '77 Celica (1UZ-FE powered)
Chairman of the SA Classic Celica Club.
MWP
Established Member

Postby bajallama » Fri May 02, 2014 4:50 am

If you run a larger rear rotor than the legacy, then the UCF30 rear caliper should work, but if you go that route just bolt on the 205 calipers. That's the cost effective solution I came to if you can get some 205 rear rotors. I'm going to post the excel sheet soon, just been lazy. AE86 rear calipers are integrated caliper/ebrake. Its usually a simple lever that pushes on a screw that turns into the pad to clamp. On my old vw I had a line lock as a parking brake, but they typically loose pressure after a while. There's a thread on MR2OC of a guy with an SW20 that did UCF30 calipers all around with MK1V supra rotors all around.

On a side note, MWP, how is that electric steering working out so far? I want to do the conversion but the previous owner did the ghetto power steering to manual rack conversion (the miata forum one) pretty much ruining my rack I believe. I want to use the Rav4 column like you did, will any power steering computer work? The guy with the Sera EV seem to have no issues with a ABS computer. How did you convert your rack other than the way the Miata guys do it?
ProjectZ61.com
bajallama
Club Member

Postby MWP » Fri May 02, 2014 12:18 pm

Finding 205 calipers is the problem, and the wrecker wants $400 for just the LS430 fronts, or $500 for front & back.

Copy & past those EPS questions in my build thread ;)
This thread will get very OT if i answer them in here.
My collection of GT4 documentation: http://gt4.mwp.id.au
Daily: Celica GT4 ST185 (~170kw/atw)
Project: Toyota RA28 '77 Celica (1UZ-FE powered)
Chairman of the SA Classic Celica Club.
MWP
Established Member

Postby bajallama » Fri May 02, 2014 3:56 pm

I saw a pair of rears for $200 on eBay not too long ago, you can get the whole rear end for about $500 sometimes. Also check on just buying reman LS calipers, I got them here in the US for $80 each shipped (fronts and rears).

Cool, thanks. I'll post up there.
ProjectZ61.com
bajallama
Club Member

Postby GT4_DRED » Fri May 02, 2014 7:41 pm

Just as an FYI.. Just by boredom I tried to bolt the st205 rear calipers to my SC300 and they fit just fine with the oe SC3 rotors. I'm currently running Supra TT calipers on the SC3 which bolted up and allowed me to use the larger TT rotors. TT calipers may work fine with the larger st205 rotors.
'00 SC300 - "The long way home" daily driver
'88 ST165 - project "Rahtid"
'88 ST165 - Project "Supah Cyat"
'91 MR2
'93 Corrado SLC - "Purple Haze"
GT4_DRED
Club Member

Postby bajallama » Fri May 02, 2014 7:52 pm

So you're saying that the TT calipers and the 205 rear calipers are identical in bolt pattern?? I thought that was true but I read a thread where it was not the case and said it was dimensionally the same, but the bolt pattern was different. I was thinking of just bolting on some SC300/MK14 NA rear calipers if thats the case with the legacy rotors. (I don't really care for 2 piston rears as long as the clamp force is adequate.)
ProjectZ61.com
bajallama
Club Member

Postby ALLensTRAC » Fri May 02, 2014 9:04 pm

GT4_DRED wrote:Just as an FYI.. Just by boredom I tried to bolt the st205 rear calipers to my SC300 and they fit just fine with the oe SC3 rotors. I'm currently running Supra TT calipers on the SC3 which bolted up and allowed me to use the larger TT rotors. TT calipers may work fine with the larger st205 rotors.

If you get bored again would you be willing to take a picture of the rear backing plate bolt pattern? I'm pretty sure the backing plate will swap to the Alltrac which means we could run the 190mm parking brake shoes. Also did you by chance bolt the TT caliper onto your 165?

I believe member Celi-GT4 had MKIV rear brakes on his 185 with redrilled rotors. He's mentioned it in a few posts but I can't find any pictures.
Allen

ALLensTRAC
Club Member

Postby bajallama » Sat May 03, 2014 2:04 am

ALLensTRAC wrote:
GT4_DRED wrote:Just as an FYI.. Just by boredom I tried to bolt the st205 rear calipers to my SC300 and they fit just fine with the oe SC3 rotors. I'm currently running Supra TT calipers on the SC3 which bolted up and allowed me to use the larger TT rotors. TT calipers may work fine with the larger st205 rotors.

If you get bored again would you be willing to take a picture of the rear backing plate bolt pattern? I'm pretty sure the backing plate will swap to the Alltrac which means we could run the 190mm parking brake shoes. Also did you by chance bolt the TT caliper onto your 165?

I believe member Celi-GT4 had MKIV rear brakes on his 185 with redrilled rotors. He's mentioned it in a few posts but I can't find any pictures.

I have read similar, but read the exact opposite elsewhere.
ProjectZ61.com
bajallama
Club Member

Postby Cuttyman9 » Sat May 03, 2014 3:37 pm

What I could do is take an sc300/400 rear caliper, plop it onto the fwd celicas I find in the yards to verify the pattern.

My idea was to use this independent of the caliper for braking purposes

120-12069-BK which are a shade under 200 shipped for a pair new.

Without the backing bits and shoes and crap I just have to make a bracket and pick a rotor/caliper

Pretty neat about the sc300 stuff, I'll let y'all know what I find out

I wonder if the parking brake stuff has the same pattern on the back of the SC too... hmm there are so many to look at in the yards now days it should be pretty easy to research there. It would be nice to have a 5x114.3 rotor to work with.
1992 Celica GT Hatch
1971 Cutlass
1967 Chevelle
1975 Trans Am
1966 C20 Long Bed
1999 F150
Cuttyman9
Club Member

Postby soarer.jzz30 » Sat May 03, 2014 10:17 pm

Crazy I used to have an sc300 with ls400/supra bbk
'97 Toyota Soarer 5speed(dd), '90 ST185(money pit)
my build thread: http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=38003
soarer.jzz30
Club Member

Postby bajallama » Mon May 05, 2014 5:23 am

Cuttyman, why not use the legacy upgraded rotor mention in the beginning that Allen talks about. You can use the stock parking brake with modifications that I show.

After seeing this I did some digging regarding the Leggy GT rotors. They are 290mm diameter stock. It looks as though Racingbrake.com carries a 316x18mm rotor upgrade for them. This might be a good option for US available rotors that could be used with 205 rear calipers.
ProjectZ61.com
bajallama
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to Handling and Braking