Silly question really...

Franly

Wondering if an ST165 or ST185's front end would bolt on to an 89 Camry non-alltrac. Trying replace the suspension in hopes to convert it to an All-trac. With custom work, of course.

phattyduck

The front end has nothing to do with whether the car is AWD or not. The complete floorpan is different on a Camry FWD vs. Alltrac. Don't even go there. Go find a good Camry Alltrac and start there - they do exist.

-Charlie

MWP

No chance.
The early Camrys have a rather bad front suspension setup that isnt easily fixed.

phattyduck

MWP":quhxqwqh said:
No chance.
The early Camrys have a rather bad front suspension setup that isnt easily fixed.
Its very similar to an MR2 rear suspension, oddly enough... And yes, I would best describe it as a 'compromised' design. :shoots:

-Charlie

phattyduck

MWP":18o3uf4m said:
Do MR2s only have a single fixed point LCA and use the sway bar as a caster rod?
They have a caster rod and a separate swaybar. A toe control rod replaces the steering rack, of course.

MR2 rear:
dcp_2099.jpg

My Camry Alltrac (best photo I could find):
0528C51A-830A-4D74-A989-0D3E5112E156-271-000000197395D6A8.jpg

Lower ball joint is the same PN, and the arm looks almost exactly the same (though isn't quite).

-Charlie

MWP

Ah yeah, ok.
The MR2s is a fairly standard McPherson strut setup.

The Camry is a cheap ass McPherson strut setup.

Franly

Wow, thanks for the feedback. And yeah, it's because it's bad that I want to swap it. New struts all around, strutmounts, bushings. Nothing seems to work except possibly changing the springs. If I'm going to spend alittle, might as well go all out, if you know what I mean. Oh well, it was worth a try, I'll look around for a Camry Alltrac partout (Which would kill me to see one) and see if I have any luck. Thanks again guys, I'll use the pictures as reference as what to do to "Fix" the front end suspension.