Custom parts from T3 for the 5th gen celica

Suspension and other discussion

Re: Custom parts from T3 for the 5th gen celica

Postby CTechBlueDragon » Thu May 22, 2014 1:55 pm

Ahhhh.... I saw multiple people offer to send parts to get things made, there was always some excuse and T3 just bailed on us basically. This happens to 90+% of all group buys for this car. My opinion is people try to focus on their specific part they want at the moment and not having the company produce a few cross-generational parts more would be likely to buy first to get the company interested. It may just be impossible for most companies to care about our cars. The love of money is the root of all evil after-all as God tells us, so it is no surprise when they don't see dollar signs before their eyes they just bail on us after lying about intending to produce anything. I always try to support these types of things but until someone that owns 1 or more all-tracs or celicas they personally want to make parts for in their own shop were pretty much at the mercy of the capitalist ideal. Making a few lowly celica owners happy is not motivation for a production line. Anyone who takes this on and intends to produce parts for us has to realize you need to get parts in-stock and things will sell eventually. There is a reason most of us own a 20+ year old celica and its because we cannot pay for a BRZ or tons of upgrades right away or we would just choose a different chassis, so inherently low cash flow in the community is another detractor. Another big problem is there is never a set timeline for these things, even when a group buy actually completes you never know when it will be done or when you need the money, not everone can just throw 3-500 in a bank and not touch it for 6 months while someone tries to get something produced. I was in Klues group buy for diff bushing kits and paid deposit and we never knew when the money was going to be called in and I ended up cut out before I even knew it was completed. I had spent the money because it was taking forever and we had absolutely no timeline on payment, so it was part my fault. But all these factors turn people off on both sides of this equation.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Last edited by CTechBlueDragon on Thu May 22, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTechBlueDragon
Club Member
 
Posts: 204
Images: 50
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:12 am

Re: Custom parts from T3 for the 5th gen celica

Postby CMS-GT4 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:44 pm

Well before everyone becomes distressed, last I heard was t3 was going to still do it. They were putting it behind their other projects, but a few of us contacting them, as well at Bill telling them he was taking his oem stuff back seems to have them motivated.

I think one thing that might help is getting the admins of these forums to send out newsletters now and then. Would be nice to let more people know this sort of group buy is going on. I think their ball joint kit will do well, especially when they find maximum compatibility. I still think it might work for 7th gen and tc guys which will open up the market more.
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
User avatar
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member
 
Posts: 10337
Images: 7
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:12 pm
Location: St Louis Area (IL)

1992 Toyota Celica

Re: Custom parts from T3 for the 5th gen celica

Postby Cuttyman9 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:01 am

well hmm if i were a business and i had money being offered up by tons of people in MR2's and AE86's id prolly go that route vs making parts off shit people send in.

also I'm not speaking specifically about T3 and i dont include group buys cuz that doesnt work with all the fickle people.


i went to T3 to have parts made, i figured since they showed interest it was worth a shot. they specialize in niche markets so it made sense but i did not go in with "one part in mind".
i went to them from the perspective of knowing theres nothing for this car and wanting to enrich the culture. ive been tired of building everything from scratch myself and having to tweak stuff, i truly believe that if you start building parts more people will buy them and gather more interest and maybe other companies will consider it and possibly other people will buy these cars and the ball rolls from there.


the difficulty with T3 is they are increasing in size about the same time i came to them, which makes sense given the large variety of parts they do make for a large span of vehicles, yet have a staff of now 5. according to them they cannot find a machine shop to keep up with their demand yet can meet any demand from any part that doesnt require machining.


its sad that from talking to people on here and other forums and getting to see their rude demeanor kind of makes me want to scrap all of it and just build one off parts for myself just like everyone did prior.
1992 Celica GT Hatch
1971 Cutlass
1967 Chevelle
1975 Trans Am
1966 C20 Long Bed
1999 F150
User avatar
Cuttyman9
Club Member
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: NorCal

Re: Custom parts from T3 for the 5th gen celica

Postby Cuttyman9 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:05 am

well hmm if i were a business and i had money being offered up by tons of people in MR2's and AE86's id prolly go that route vs making parts off shit people send in.

also I'm not speaking specifically about T3 and i dont include group buys cuz that doesnt work with all the fickle people.


i went to T3 to have parts made, i figured since they showed interest it was worth a shot. they specialize in niche markets so it made sense but i did not go in with "one part in mind".
i went to them from the perspective of knowing theres nothing for this car and wanting to enrich the culture. ive been tired of building everything from scratch myself and having to tweak stuff, i truly believe that if you start building parts more people will buy them and gather more interest and maybe other companies will consider it and possibly other people will buy these cars and the ball rolls from there.


the difficulty with T3 is they are increasing in size about the same time i came to them, which makes sense given the large variety of parts they do make for a large span of vehicles, yet have a staff of now 5. according to them they cannot find a machine shop to keep up with their demand yet can meet any demand from any part that doesnt require machining.


its sad that from talking to people on here and other forums and getting to see their rude demeanor kind of makes me want to scrap all of it and just build one off parts for myself just like everyone did prior.


T3 will eventually reenter building stuff but my interest in trying to help other people is definitely diminishing.
1992 Celica GT Hatch
1971 Cutlass
1967 Chevelle
1975 Trans Am
1966 C20 Long Bed
1999 F150
User avatar
Cuttyman9
Club Member
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: NorCal

Re: Custom parts from T3 for the 5th gen celica

Postby athousandleaves » Thu May 29, 2014 6:22 am

Am I missing something here?
Where were we so rude an off putting to you?

Looks to me like a lot of us HELPED you by emailing T3 asking for stuff to be developed for the 18X chassis.

Seems like your enthusiasm has soured pretty quickly after just one endeavor, can't imagine how you'd feel if you were involved with one of our efforts to get a front LSD made.

Go ahead, make your own parts, enjoy your car. We're not standing in your way. Just stop trying to blame 'us' that T3 was too busy to make this happen.
1992 Red GT-FOUR RC 626•1800
Image
1992 White turbo4WD
User avatar
athousandleaves
Established Member
 
Posts: 1288
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Custom parts from T3 for the 5th gen celica

Postby underscore » Thu May 29, 2014 6:18 pm

athousandleaves wrote:Am I missing something here?
Where were we so rude an off putting to you?

Looks to me like a lot of us HELPED you by emailing T3 asking for stuff to be developed for the 18X chassis.

Seems like your enthusiasm has soured pretty quickly after just one endeavor, can't imagine how you'd feel if you were involved with one of our efforts to get a front LSD made.

Go ahead, make your own parts, enjoy your car. We're not standing in your way. Just stop trying to blame 'us' that T3 was too busy to make this happen.


Agreed. Our frustrations are with T3 for pulling the same crap as everyone else.

What I don't get is the machine shop part. If one machine shop cant keep up, start working with two or more. I assume all they do is the design work?
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3792
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:29 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC

Re: Custom parts from T3 for the 5th gen celica

Postby GT4_DRED » Thu May 29, 2014 6:56 pm

R&D takes time, patience, commitment and money. Some attempts will never make it to market, while others will. If this doesn't pan out, then we acknowledge the effort(s) and redirect energy to the next idea. It's efforts like these from enthusiasts like yourselves that have helped in enabling us to keep these cars evolving with such little attention from the aftermarket. Gotta keep the synergy going!
Image
'00 SC300 - "The long way home" daily driver
'88 ST165 - project "Rahtid"
'88 ST165 - Project "Supah Cyat"
'91 MR2
'93 Corrado SLC - "Purple Haze"
User avatar
GT4_DRED
Club Member
 
Posts: 415
Images: 0
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: North GA.

Re: Custom parts from T3 for the 5th gen celica

Postby bajallama » Fri May 30, 2014 1:54 pm

Sorry to hit this late, but are you guys just looking for them to make RCA's utilizing and extended ball joint? I am currently getting my BBBBK brackets made for those that were interested and I can probably take on another project. I would need some information like how large of a spacer you would like to correct the roll center and I can design accordingly to make clearance for the brake rotor issues plagued to the 185 people. My 165 is slightly higher than stock height so I have no use for RCA's but if I could make some sales on some I wouldn't mind.

Also might be able to whip up some front camber plates. I have these coilovers and the have front plates that I can copy:

Image

Side note, if anyone is interested in the coilovers, they are $1200 and very well made for being Chinese. They have 24 damper settings and the brackets are very good and all the brake lines and abs sensors mock up. I plan on making a shock dyno to verify the damper ratios and optimize the spring rates later on. They fit the 165 but the rears need the top bolt hole drilled.
ProjectZ61.com
User avatar
bajallama
Club Member
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:32 pm

Re: Custom parts from T3 for the 5th gen celica

Postby CTechBlueDragon » Fri May 30, 2014 4:08 pm

A kit that lets you bolt the 205 fronts on easier and without milling down the rotor or spacing behind the rotor would be at the top of my list along with the camber plates too so I would say start there, but that's just my selfish opinion! lol Anyone have a set of the longer 205 arms they want to sell me? I have tried everything to get the toe adjustment piece out of the sleeve and its not coming out, too much rust. I do not want to shell out 200 for control arm bushings right now! :cry:
CTechBlueDragon
Club Member
 
Posts: 204
Images: 50
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:12 am

Re: Custom parts from T3 for the 5th gen celica

Postby bajallama » Fri May 30, 2014 4:33 pm

CTechBlueDragon wrote:A kit that lets you bolt the 205 fronts on easier and without milling down the rotor or spacing behind the rotor would be at the top of my list along with the camber plates too so I would say start there, but that's just my selfish opinion! lol Anyone have a set of the longer 205 arms they want to sell me? I have tried everything to get the toe adjustment piece out of the sleeve and its not coming out, too much rust. I do not want to shell out 200 for control arm bushings right now! :cry:


You could do STi rotors/UCF calipers like mine instead of 205
ProjectZ61.com
User avatar
bajallama
Club Member
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:32 pm

Re: Custom parts from T3 for the 5th gen celica

Postby CTechBlueDragon » Fri May 30, 2014 5:41 pm

I am committed at this point, I already decided to mill them down and get a spacer for behind the rotor and trim the ears, but I would wait if someone could work something out. I want the front and back brakes to match I spent way to much on all this junk not to get it all in together. Even with milling the rotor down its still a nice upgrade... plus that does remove some rotational mass/un-sprung weight which I saw as an advantage...?
CTechBlueDragon
Club Member
 
Posts: 204
Images: 50
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:12 am

Re: Custom parts from T3 for the 5th gen celica

Postby bajallama » Fri May 30, 2014 8:04 pm

CTechBlueDragon wrote:I am committed at this point, I already decided to mill them down and get a spacer for behind the rotor and trim the ears, but I would wait if someone could work something out. I want the front and back brakes to match I spent way to much on all this junk not to get it all in together. Even with milling the rotor down its still a nice upgrade... plus that does remove some rotational mass/un-sprung weight which I saw as an advantage...?


Oh didn't know you had the parts. ehh unsprung yes, not much in inertia since you are removing material from the center. Unless you are talking about the overall diameter of the rotor.
ProjectZ61.com
User avatar
bajallama
Club Member
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:32 pm

Re: Custom parts from T3 for the 5th gen celica

Postby athousandleaves » Fri May 30, 2014 8:10 pm

:offtopic:
1992 Red GT-FOUR RC 626•1800
Image
1992 White turbo4WD
User avatar
athousandleaves
Established Member
 
Posts: 1288
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Custom parts from T3 for the 5th gen celica

Postby CTechBlueDragon » Fri May 30, 2014 8:39 pm

I want T3 to make a kit for me, but they won't. There back on topic! Its 10 mm off the diameter so it would help, these things are super heavy.
CTechBlueDragon
Club Member
 
Posts: 204
Images: 50
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:12 am

Re: Custom parts from T3 for the 5th gen celica

Postby TRDTurko » Fri May 30, 2014 9:32 pm

bajallama wrote:Sorry to hit this late, but are you guys just looking for them to make RCA's utilizing and extended ball joint? I am currently getting my BBBBK brackets made for those that were interested and I can probably take on another project. I would need some information like how large of a spacer you would like to correct the roll center and I can design accordingly to make clearance for the brake rotor issues plagued to the 185 people. My 165 is slightly higher than stock height so I have no use for RCA's but if I could make some sales on some I wouldn't mind.

Also might be able to whip up some front camber plates. I have these coilovers and the have front plates that I can copy:

Image

Side note, if anyone is interested in the coilovers, they are $1200 and very well made for being Chinese. They have 24 damper settings and the brackets are very good and all the brake lines and abs sensors mock up. I plan on making a shock dyno to verify the damper ratios and optimize the spring rates later on. They fit the 165 but the rears need the top bolt hole drilled.


are those caster plates as well or just camber? also I am guessing that you mean a spacer between the control arm and ball joint to adjust RC? If it was that simple, why didn't anyone else think of that?
88 Celica GTS - RIP
87 Corolla - RIP(sold for parts)
93 Honda Civic - RIP
88 Celica AWD Turbo - Current Project "Racetrac"
85 Honda Civic - Sold
91 Honda Civic - Sold to ice racer
08 Mazda 3 - Daily
88 Celica Alltrac - RIP(sold then writen off)
User avatar
TRDTurko
Club Member
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 4:47 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

PreviousNext

Return to Handling and Braking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron