Help/opinions on suspention setup please!

TRDTurko

Ok here is my situation. I am building a 165 for AutoX and time attack. The car will still be street legal and the tracks I will be running on are kinda bumpy, not to mention the terrible streets here in Winnipeg. Adjustment of camber, caster, and shock stiffness is a must, ride height adjustment a major plus. I will be using 17x9 wheels with a +15 offset all around, which according to my calculations, will rub on the stock rear spring perches. (I know these will stick out so will probably be using flares) And I do not want to use spacers.

Currently I have:
stock struts with KYB adjustable inserts
Intrax lowering springs
23mm front swaybar
17mm adjustable rear swaybar

edit:
have GC coil overs and camber/caster plates on order. GC recomended 550 front 350 rear so I will try that first.

other questions:
1. Is the front sway bar too big? I have access to a stock bar if it turns out to be too stiff
2. What spring rates should I use at stock weight?
3. And off course alignment setting suggestions would be appreciated.
4. Where can I get oem crash bolts?

sainz

i was looking at ceika aswell but i have decided on futurne auto 500 series with swift springs upgrade.
8kg and 6kg because im old.

lumbercis

Have you decided which classes you are planning on competing in? For auto-x I know certain modifications will bump you to a different class. You need to check out the rulebooks for the classes you plan to compete in and then plan your mods around that.

I'd probably just show up with the car as-is which would put you in something like Street Touring under SCCA rules. Drive it to get some seat time and experience and then decide where you want to go from there. What I'm getting at is that you don't really need any mods other than a well-maintained car to go out and practice your driving. Once you have some seat time you can decide what classes you think are good fit for you and mod with that goal in mind.

If I was in your shoes I might even put stock springs and front swaybar back on the car and compete in Stock class. Then maybe go to Street Touring with your #2 option when you're ready.

J

TRDTurko

I have been doing autoX for 5 years now in mostly stock cars, I want to go faster now. With the 2nd gen engine swap in the car the lowest class I can run is street prepared so that is the class I am prepping the car for. Suspension is pretty much unlimited in that class as long as the mounting points stay the same.

lumbercis

If you're going to go for SP I'd definitely do your #2 option with Koni race inserts front and rear as they're more easily rebuildable to your specs. Check out the old threads by gtfour77 who campaigned an alltrac in SM or SP before switching to an mr2. You can find some of his videos on youtube also under gtfour77 or search for marteen valent.

Good luck!

MWP

Koni have a huge range of inserts.

Ive got a pair of 8611-1259 ill be trying to use soon.
http://www.koniracing.com/8611.cfm#8611

These are dual adjustable and have a wide range of adjustment, so there should be no need to have them revalved.
Only problem is they are quite short stroke.

TRDTurko

Just ordered my GC coil overs and I have universal camber plates coming for all four corners. Setting all this up is going to be very educational for me.

Mafix

TRDTurko":2yb72eaq said:
Ok here is my situation. I am building a 165 for AutoX and time attack. The car will still be street legal and the tracks I will be running on are kinda bumpy, not to mention the terrible streets here in Winnipeg. Adjustment of camber, caster, and shock stiffness is a must, ride height adjustment a major plus. I will be using 17x9 wheels with a +15 offset all around, which according to my calculations, will rub on the stock rear spring perches. (I know these will stick out so will probably be using flares) And I do not want to use spacers.

Currently I have:
stock struts with KYB adjustable inserts
Intrax lowering springs
23mm front swaybar
17mm adjustable rear swaybar

edit:
have GC coil overs and camber/caster plates on order. GC recomended 550 front 350 rear so I will try that first.

other questions:
1. Is the front sway bar too big? I have access to a stock bar if it turns out to be too stiff
2. What spring rates should I use at stock weight?
3. And off course alignment setting suggestions would be appreciated.
4. Where can I get oem crash bolts?

the front sway bar can go in the trash, you don't need it.
i'd recommend 12k front and 6k rear
off course settings?
any parts store or the big t

your struts and springs are not good for autox (mine shocks are rubbish too)
i'd switch to a koni insert and you need adjustable springs perches and set rate springs. (i had what you have, and while it's very good on the street, it's rubbish on the track)