Anybody running Bilstein catridges?

flyingdutchman

I'm curious if anybody is using the Bilstein B6 shock? Its a non-adjustable sport shock. P/N 34-003527
I had some Bilsteins on another car and I really liked them.
Thanks

rallyst185

yes, Bilstein is the best...I have them in my alltracs and I use the same strut insert in my ae86 fronts :) ...only thing I've ever liked the dampening better in was DMS coilovers, but theres a very big price difference between the two

flyingdutchman

rallyst185":368mtm2h said:
yes, Bilstein is the best...I have them in my alltracs and I use the same strut insert in my ae86 fronts :) ...only thing I've ever liked the dampening better in was DMS coilovers, but theres a very big price difference between the two
Good to hear! Was trying to decide if it was worth it
Do you have them front and rear?

diceman

I'd be interested in which bilstein people are using and for what purpose.

There are (very rare) bilstein rally struts that I believe use the 36mm and 46mm pistons/valves and the regular insert you can still buy that uses a 30mm piston iirc. A search for the old part number for the insert you posted above indicated it was a p30 series indicating p=insert and 30= piston diameter. I spoke with bilstein uk to check and get some damping rates for these.

The main benefit of the monotube inverted strut configuration used by bilstein I understand is the better high speed damping achievable with a larger piston (high speed blow off controlled by the flexible discs covering some valve holes) and the ability to cope with higher side loads on the larger inverted shaft.

As It is an inverted insert it therefore has 2 outer tubes (strut case & insert case) which prevent adopting a much larger valve/piston or shaft than stock. Comparison with a Kyb super st185 (twin tube) I have dismantled indicated it uses similar sized valve/piston and shaft. Dismantling a tein ha (twin tube) indicated it used a 35mm valve/piston and a similar sized shaft.

The only benefit I can see left for the insert is that it is a high pressure design and is likely to more resistant to cavitation and air bubbles under extreme use.

This is speculative as I haven't used them but my thoughts currently are that I like the benefit of the bilstein setup but I would want to use a 36mm valve/piston design which will have to be a custom strut.

I do wonder if dms actually use bilstein components in their 40mm shaft & 36mm valve/piston as the dims are the same.