FYI 17x9 +35 Rubs on Tein Coilovers (ST185)

Scrap Metal

This probably has been covered before.

Just installed gold 17x9 +35 Enkei RPF1 wheels w/ 235/45/17 tires on my red ST185

The front is touching/barely clearing the Tein Coilovers which means I'll probably need spacers.

What spacers have you guys run up front without the need for extended lugs?

I can post pics when there's daylight. Too dark right now.

Also had a which thought of loosening the strut bolts and seeing if adding + camber would help, but I don't if I'll be able to align it back to spec?

Akihero

im interested to know as well cause i have the same set up but going BC and i picked up 25mm in the back wondering how the front will be

underscore

I wouldn't go more than 5mm without extended studs, I went to 8mm with my RPF1's but had to get extended studs as there's not enough stud left to safely bolt it together. If you need extended ones order rears for an IS300 from ARP, the OEM stud is the same as our fronts.

Scrap Metal

I'm sure this size fits fine with the stock struts because the tire will sit under the spring perch.

I'm just posting this to point out my clearance issues with the tein coilovers.

30650618562_643a66145c.jpg

Yeah... I need to lower the car

30721894646_44cba90a9b.jpg

Scrap Metal

FC Zach":2vka8cmb said:
Why no use an adapter/spacer like this? Then you don't have to worry with replacing studs.
30768827675_0e630bef19_z.jpg
To use an adapter like that at minimum needs to be as thick as the protrusion of the stock studs. That would out the front wheel way passed flush. I hate the hella flush stretched tires look so that won't work haha.

Smallest possible spacer is what I'm after. 5 mm hopefully will clear.

FC Zach

Ha ha, yeah I totally understand! I don't get that fad either. These work great for me however my wheels are 2" narrower than yours.

CMS-GT4

Scrap Metal":1q3od19i said:
I'm sure this size fits fine with the stock struts because the tire will sit under the spring perch.

I'm just posting this to point out my clearance issues with the tein coilovers.

30650618562_643a66145c.jpg

Yeah... I need to lower the car

30721894646_44cba90a9b.jpg

Something isn't right with your setup. On my HAs the spring perch at 2" lower didn't get near the wheels like that. Either the struts are over lowered, or or you have extra long springs on those teins. The green springs lead me to believe you have the SS model, as the HAs used a black spring.

underscore

^ I'm not sure how the Teins work but maybe someone adjusted the height using all the way to the max, and then someone else dropped the spring seat really low to try and bring it back down.

Scrap Metal

CMS-GT4":1aawpsj2 said:
Something isn't right with your setup. On my HAs the spring perch at 2" lower didn't get near the wheels like that. Either the struts are over lowered, or or you have extra long springs on those teins. The green springs lead me to believe you have the SS model, as the HAs used a black spring.

Yeah pretty sure you're right they are the Tein SS as they have green top mounts unlike the gold ones on the HA

Not sure if they are long springs or not, i honestly didn't think my car was lowered that much? I've got about 3 inches before the bottom perch bottoms out
30721894336_b66cde2323_c.jpg

CMS-GT4

See if you can find the PDF manual. It has all the info on them. Then you can measure from the top of your wheel well to the center of your wheel to figure out your ride height settings.

Scrap Metal

underscore":2unwg7m5 said:
^ I'm not sure how the Teins work but maybe someone adjusted the height using all the way to the max, and then someone else dropped the spring seat really low to try and bring it back down.
I wish that were the case. The Tein Super Street is a super budget coilover. The only height adjustment is the spring perch. The lower body doesn't spin for height adjustment.

Scrap Metal

Well... This is embarrassing.

Upon closer inspection. The wheels are 17x9.5 +38

Seller has them advertised as 17x9 +35... When I bought the wheels they looked great, glanced at the rear face to verify the enkei stamp and saw the 17 9 and what I thought was 35... But I was wrong hahaha

Anyway. Even with the 5mm spacer I had to add positive camber using the play in the lower strut mount. Added negative camber back in through the top hat/camber plates. Lowered the front a half inch and now it's great!

Still need to lower the rear and roll fenders. Pics soon.

shogun86

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am having the same issue. Did you use 5mm spacers all around to clear the struts?