ABS Poll!! Who has it and who doesnt?

ABS on a ST185, who has it and who doesnt?

• Yeah I got it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope nothing there..

• Yeah I had it but I took it out!?

• No but I went and got it put in!!

• I cant tell if I have it or not....

• Total voters

illGT4

QIK_GT4":1u0vnena said:
i have an abs light (dosent light up) in my dash but cannot locate abs in my engine bay.. isnt it the thing that sits near the left head light and near the powersteering fluid?

That's part of the ABS system. It also has it's own diagnostics port and ECU located inside the cabin. (The Diag. is near the small fuse box in the engine bay.)

QIK_GT4

QIK_GT4":38gy5yxw said:
i have an abs light (dosent light up) in my dash but cannot locate abs in my engine bay.. isnt it the thing that sits near the left head light and near the powersteering fluid?

well theres nothing there in that spot for me lol...

why do i still have the light then?

Greg Forbes

Yeah, the instrument clusters are the same for ABS and non-ABS cars, so you'll have the light either way. How you can tell if you have it for sure is by turning the key to the start position. If you have ABS, the light should light up. I don't have ABS, so it always stays dark on mine.

Indy3sgte

i have a 1990 st185 and i dont have it...and the owner before me didnt take it out...so mine came stock that way :shrug:

Dan

BraveUlysses

illGT4":16bq7w3p said:
I was under the impression that all US ST185 had leather and ABS.

I dunno..

:shrug:

Thank God that's not the case; many cars came w/o leather, which is awesome seeing how poorly the leather of that era has weathered since then compared to the cloth seats.

hacker_720

first off I also hate abs, sucks in snow situations, and street racing.

This is how it is:
in a perfect work, threshould breaking would be better.
we are not perfect, new ABS can dance around the threshold sevel times a second. therefore it wins.

but it is no fun

The stoping difreance between threshould and ABS, is pretty small, and the chance you would get in a situation where that little differance actually counts, is very unlikely

so take out the ABS and drive free my friends!

illGT4

hacker_720":11ydfcw6 said:
first off I also hate abs, sucks in snow situations, and street racing.

This is how it is:
in a perfect work, threshould breaking would be better.
we are not perfect, new ABS can dance around the threshold sevel times a second. therefore it wins.

but it is no fun

The stoping difreance between threshould and ABS, is pretty small, and the chance you would get in a situation where that little differance actually counts, is very unlikely

so take out the ABS and drive free my friends!

Street racing.. hrmm... good start.. :shrug:

ABS can dance around threshold, yes.
The stopping distance between threshold braking and ABS is however only as small as the skills of the threshold(er). And I can setup a few different situation where you will notice that it counts. :)

ABS does suck if you want to left foot trail brake to initiate a drift. Or if you are wanting lockup for evasive/stunt driving. It sucks when you're doing a forward 180* at speed and you need to modulate the brake and your ABS is kicking in... extending the 180....

Trust me.. I know. :)