Which KYB GR2/AGX if I do the rear strut to insert conv?

ChrisD

Okay so I think I have settled on doing the rear strut conversion so that I can use inserts. Now the question, what rear struts should I order? I would like to get the KYB GR2 because the price is good.

Does anyone know the model number that I should order? What fits?

enzytebob

I wouldn't go w/ the GR2's if i were you. They're on the soft side plus they go flat and floppy real quick.

Try to go with either KYB AGX's (adjustable) or Tokico HP's (non-adjustable but firmer and more durable). They shouldn't cost much more.

enzytebob

Try KYB AGX Part No. 765015. With the strut tops from Ground Control that you need to order you can calculate how much of the original strut top you need to cut off and then weld on the GC strut top with the AGX insert.

For reference, here's a link for the GR2 and AGX model #'s for ST165. I'm sure you can find them cheaper elsewhere.

http://performance.speedycarparts.com/i ... part=strut

Regarding the Tokico Hp's, i take back what i said about availability for the ST165/185. They only made Hp's for Toyotas through 1985. :)

gtfourdreams

from personal experience. the front inserts put into the rear can be pretty stiff, ive probalby told you this already. try getting KYB AGX for the front, and KYB GR2 (or something else) in the rears. buy it from Checkers/AutoZone/etc. if you don't like it take it back. ;)

ChrisD

gtfourdreams":396qeetj said:
from personal experience. the front inserts put into the rear can be pretty stiff, ive probalby told you this already. try getting KYB AGX for the front, and KYB GR2 (or something else) in the rears. buy it from Checkers/AutoZone/etc. if you don't like it take it back. ;)

No I hadn't heard this before, but thats an interesting thing to note. I just spent a bunch of my spare change on a whiteline rear sway bar, so my funds are a tad limited right now....hmmmm

The cheapest source I have found for pretty much everything is summitracing.com. $40 /each for the GR2, and $90 a peice for the AGX.

Now you've given me something else to think about.......and I was all ready to order the GR2's this morning.

ho hum...

ChrisD

Maybe go with ST185 GR2 in front, and ST165 GR2 in back? Would the front then be too stiff?

Why do they need to make this so complicated. :doh:

935motorsports

I would suggest ST185 GR2 in the back. Why?

-Shorter strut, more travel allowed when lowered.
-Cheap
-Typically you want a hard front, softer rear, depending on your driving style

The first thing that I noticed on my TEIN setup, was that the rear shock was much shorter. I'd try to duplicate this. When you put long front struts in the back, you are almost out of travel when the car is lowered.

On the flip side, the OEM rear shocks are actually longer then the front. The longer shock, when at stock height, allows the car to soak up dips and bumps in the road without a harsh ride.

ChrisD

I hadn't thought of that. Thats a good point on shock travel.

I think I will go with the ST185 GR2 in the back then.

For the front, can I also run the ST185 GR2, since it is slightly stiffer than 165 GR2? Do I need to modify anything to make it work on stock strut housings and 165 lowering springs?

Or will the lowering springs allow the 185 GR2 to fit in with no problems?

935motorsports

You could put ST185 GR2 in the ST165 housing, but it is slightly shorter and you would need some washers in there to account for the space. I'd suggest just going ahead with the ST165 AGX in the front and the ST185 GR2 in the back.

ChrisD

Awesome. Finally ordered everything. My car will have, once all is complete:

Intrax lowering springs (ST165)
KYB AGX on front (ST165 - 765015)
KYB GR2 insert on rear (ST185 - 365075)
Whiteline rear adjustable sway bar
Polyurethane bushings F/R - sway bar to chassis
Polyurethane bushings - rear trailing arm
New swaybar end links
SS brake lines

I will report back. Should be like a whole new ride. :smokes:

ChrisD

KYB AGX 765015
summit: $89.95 / each
935: $190 / pair

KYB GR2 365075
summit: $39.95 / each
935: $120 / pair

:(

I am unsure on the other stuff that I ordered from josh, mostly because I talk to him all the time over msn.

geladen

chris_dittrick":2jdw5zw9 said:
Awesome. Finally ordered everything. My car will have, once all is complete:

Intrax lowering springs (ST165)
KYB AGX on front (ST165 - 765015)
KYB GR2 insert on rear (ST185 - 365075)
Whiteline rear adjustable sway bar
Polyurethane bushings F/R - sway bar to chassis
Polyurethane bushings - rear trailing arm
New swaybar end links
SS brake lines

Similar to what I have done except that I have a Ground Control adjustable set-up and the rear inserts are the AGX.
I also got the entire Whiteline Sport pack with both bars and a but-load of urethane.
I couldn't tell you how it handles because I'm in the process of intalling a Haltech and rebuilt motor into the car.