Rear Swaybar Endlinks Upgrade?

BraveUlysses

The adjustability of the endlinks is nice because you don't have to try to fit OEM Mercedes links (which apparently don't make the cut).

In general, adjustable endlinks are useful for preloading the swaybar, if it has certain undesireable charataristics on hard launches. Pre-loading the swaybar has been an old trick for musclecar draggers to help with their off-the-line launches.

It won't do fuckall about ride height, at least in a useful sense.

ChrisD

Not sure on pre-loading the sway bar...it just pivots on the chassis...?

But yeah, my Mercedes ones are now toast on the first hard drive. The balls popped out of the joints. FYI, the car is rides like ass without the sway bar connected! :lol: :doh:

ChrisD

Which year and set of Racing Beat end links should I order???

There are 3 options

Sway Bar End Links
90-97 (Front & Rear)

Sway Bar End Links
99-05 (Front)

Sway Bar End Links
99-05 (Rear)

Don't want to order the wrong ones, someone please help! :)

SBCelicaGT

chris_dittrick":28bmvs0d said:
Here's a question...

Fully adjustable end links are nice and all, but can someone help me grasp what the actual effects of adjusting them are? In other words, what affect does this have if you shorten the link? And what if you lengthen it? Will it make a significant difference in handling? Stiffness? Torque on the sway bar?

Assuming you have had your car corner balanced on scales, your car will probably not sit flat. If this is the case, the sway bar will automatically be preloaded on one side. This will produce inconsistent handling anomalies. In other words, the car might turn better to the right, than the left. The adjustable links allow you to "fix the glitch." Mcmaster.com sells a spherical rod ends for a good price that can be used to make end links.

ChrisD

Thanks, received 'em yesterday. They look very nice and will work great. I only asked because nowhere did anyone state specifically that the 90-97's were the ones to get. By the looks of the instructions, I think you get a different washer set...minor difference I guess.

:)

SBCelicaGT

Here are the endlinks I'll be using on the rear sway bar:

endlinks_compare.jpg

Teflon lined plastic (carbon fiber I think) races so I shouldn't need to worry about lube. Zinc coated so they shouldn't rust. The center section and the rest of the hardware came from Mazdaspeed Miata endlinks.

SBCelicaGT

BraveUlysses":3pt628zs said:
SBCelicaGT":3pt628zs said:
Here are the endlinks I'll be using on the rear sway bar:

[.img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/sbcelicagt/Celica%20V6/endlinks_compare.jpg[/img]

Teflon lined plastic (carbon fiber I think) races so I shouldn't need to worry about lube. Zinc coated so they shouldn't rust. The center section and the rest of the hardware came from Mazdaspeed Miata endlinks.

Doubtful that its carbon fiber in there, but they do look good.

Nope, they are. Look up part 2458K341 from McMaster-Carr:

Zinc-Plated Steel Housing and Ball, PTFE-Lubricated Fiber-Reinforced Plastic Race

It's not the bling bling woven carbon fiber you are thinking of. It's more like a graphite composite.

b00staholic

For those who went with the Racing Beat Miata endlinks, did the kit come with the nuts and bolts you now need to install them because the endlinks don't have a built-in stud like the stock ones?

tweekgt4

just got a set of RB rear miata links.

they come with everything you need.

actually going to call them tomorrow to see if the front links have a shorter middle stud. the shorter one may be better for use with the whiteline rear swaybar and tein ss coilovers.

fyi, the brake brackets on the tein ss coilovers (picked up last week) still need to be bent to clear with the rb links.

SBCelicaGT

Quick note:

Be sure, if using long bolts, to have the bolt head facing the inside of the car. Otherwise the long threads will impact the body making a dreadful sound. :(

CMS-GT4

I have the MB rear links, and have them slightly tight. I would curious what results anyone had with using adjustable front links and loading the sway bar? I have concidered getting a front sway bar, but am not sure what kind of handling characteristics it may cause.

QIK_GT4

Thank god! I still have hope

Today at work I tracked down these after market endlinks by Nolathane they are 108mm centre to centre and are a direct replacement upgrade for the st185

Nolathane Part-Number: 42707

and the price! fuck yeah! only $70AUD for the two!

picture00593.jpg

jjpetek

I think this might have been overlooked above. Under NO circumstance should you preload the sway bar. Adjustable links are not for preloading, and they do not adjust the bar stiffness. They do two things as intending by the manufacturer. First and formost: they take the preload OFF of the bar. Second: They allow slight clocking of the bars 'central-position" in the chassis for installation variation and also recenter the bar if the link has been moved on the bar to adjust bar stiffness. It is extremely rare that solid links ever line with bar mounting holes exactly. This preload changes left-right handling characteristics, and when stiffer bars are used can disrupt the chassis very unpredictably. Make sure alignment and cornerbalance is done without bars connected, and make sure there is no preload of the bar during install.

Another reason to switch endlinks aside from adjustability is stiffness. As we increase bar stiffness, a much higher amount of force is transmitted through the endlinks. On one side of the car, the endlinks is pulling, which isn't a problem assuming the joints themselves are strong enough. On the other side of the car, the endlink is pushing. Now look at that long, long, skinny little endlink and tell me it wants to push hard without bending. If you're going to bother replacing the links, get stiff, adjustable links. :smokes:

Meurz

Ok, digging (not really since it's a sticky) an old topic up..

I cut my rear endlinks to place Tein SS coils. The best upgrade known today are the Racingbeat Miata ones? Which partnumber do I need for the REARS ONLY? The link posted in this topic (page 3 iirc) is for F+R but the text says 2 links... So this part# is for the rear of the 185 only? :roll: And I need to bend the brakeline bracket a bit to fit them? Can someone clarify this for me? Then I'll order them.

thkohlb

twosrus now make a set of swaybar links for the st185 i have them on mine and i like them so far i just thought i would let you know. Only have about 40 miles on them, i'll let you know how they feel in a bit

David Hawkins

I was waiting to hear back from Travis before I put them up. :)

They're like our MR2 links, except that the center section is a threaded stud since they're so short. They'll retail for $75/pair shipped (about $10 less than OEM, but beefier and rebuildable) once I get the page up. If you're interested, drop me an email.