clucking in rear after letting off gas?

scrapp

All of a sudden, in low gears, or high rpm in higher gears, if you get off the gas abruptly, this clunk/thud is heard/felt behind the front seats. its as if giving gas pulls something away from the car, and stopping abruptly causes to crash back into the car. Any ideas? what broke now?

jprine01

I had this clunk from my rear-lower control arm (the spherical bearings). Sounds crazy if you dont know what it is, but basically the bushings in the syspension. On the rear arms, the bushings in the hub/spindles are not bushings, but insted a type of bearing that works like a ball joint. My wheel was physically moving back and forth when i let off/hit the gas. My diff cushion was also bad though.

scrapp

Well i looked under the car, and some kinda rubber bushing in the middle of the car, lined up with the diff, is all ripped to hell with rubber missing.

Rick89GTS

scrapp":2ik68v4q said:
....and some kinda rubber bushing in the middle of the car, lined up with the diff, is all ripped to hell with rubber missing.
Yep, that's the rear diff cushion :(

RIalltrac

If the cushion is all torn up start there, if you still experience a clunk after that I would suggest looking at suspension arms & bushings. I doubt your going to have issues with your driveshaft.

Rick89GTS

Lot easier to change a rear diff cushion than to start fiddling around with your driveshaft. Especially when it's that obvious!

ChrisD

I also vote for diff cushion. Plus it is a very cheap fix if you just fill it with polyurethane!

___Scott___

The Diff Cushion is in the middle of this pic:
DiffMount640x480.jpg

Details on how to repair it are here:
http://www.planetcampbell.us/DiffMountR ... Repair.htm

jprine01

My diff cusion was in better shape then the one in the picture, and it still was clunking. They are expensive from the factory, like 200$ if i remember correctly. What people are doing is buying polyurathane mixture and pouring it into an old mount. Only bad part is it takes like 5 days to cure before you can use it. I still have my old mount if you want to buy a spare so you can drive your car while it cures :) I got solid mounts for my diff.