Hub Project to make us wheel options (5/100 to 114.3)

CMS-GT4

I figured to keep conversation here so we did not clutter up the faq thread too much. I was looking at my rav4 spindles and my idea for the svx rotors will not work. Rather than making the hub ring thicker, they just moved it out further for the new center bore. I do not think there is enough material to machine it down for the svx center bore. So that ruines that idea for a simple rotor for me. If I could easily enlarge the center bore of the svx rotor to fit the rav4 hub, then that might be another option, but possibly more work than its worth.

EDIT: I was looking at the wrong hub number. The SVX is 58 where the rav4 is 62. Its really only 2mm coming down from the center bore from top then bottom. I measured the thickness of the ring on the hub and it is around 5.5mm thick. So I wonder if there would be any strength issues by making it only 3.5mm thick.

CMS-GT4

Searching on ebay, I may had found a possible rotor for the 205 setup.
Its from a honda pilot and some acura sedans.
screen20120411at115312p.png

Another rotor:
cadillac sts
The stud thickness is something else we need to compare.
Doing the conversion
screen20120412at120626a.png

CMS-GT4

Are you working with a bracket or something. I was under the impression nothing over 307mm will fit.

tubasteve

Working to get the 205's to get bolt on with hub swap like i did for the 185. and on the st205 to bolt onto the 185 using little modification. I'm just fighting my self a bit for safe and cheap.

CMS-GT4

So I am trying to figure out how much disc the SVX rotors allow for the pad sweep. These rotors are still about $25 each, so paying to get the center bore machined to 62mm should not add that much more to the cost and still makes them a budget rotor.

I have also been kicking around the idea of supra rotors. There was a russian forum that drilled a new mounting hole in the 205 calipers then cut the ears down so they could use a bracket to attach the spindle.

I think one way I could accomplish this is make a guide metal that had 4 holes. Two holes would bolt into the stock location and then it would hold the new guide holes in place. I could use a drill press to make new holes and thread them. I am now sure what to use to cut the ears down though.

Then I would just have to fit it on the supra rotor and measure for a bracket.

gtfourtc":2r2xmwdk said:
I just checked out that link, here are a couple more pics of that bracket setup, its not as simple as a bracket they modified the caliper
to have 4 smaller bolts connect to the caliper in different places than the oem mounting holes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Of course that is a lot of work, and sort of defeats the purpose of these calipers so I am still not sure what my plan is.

EDIT:
After looking at the svx rotor and pad size, I think a lot of pad sweep area would be wasted using this rotor.

aus jd 2703

I'm trying to fit the 205 calipers with 315mm rotors as I want full size rotors. But I'm planning custom hats on two piece rotors. Just gotta work out spacing

CMS-GT4

tubasteve":3tru15ef said:
^ working on this exact plan as we speak

If you look at the linked thread there is a drawing of the bracket and all dimensions.

Edit here is the drawing: I am curious if there is a strength difference over using 4 bolts over 2. I imagine the caliper is just as strong as the tension point would change to a higher/thickersection.
ST205FrontCaliperBracketDimensionsS.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21323&start=75

And the actual russian thread:
http://www.caldina-turbo.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=4063

tubasteve

thanks, i have those posts and the pictures, im just using a supra rotor as i want to use supra pads and supra rotors XD.

THANKS A MILLION on the help though.

-jr

Cuttyman9

Alright so sorting through this has brought me to the conclusion that I need rav4 hubs trimmed as pressed into celica bearings to swap the front on my 2wd celica. It's stock drivetrain wise, my plan is to swap the rear first then get another spindle assembly and install the other hubs so if the ones with the 5x114.3 fail I can swap my old ones on and be good to go till I fix the 5x114.3.

Being that this doesn't pertain to the awd variants, the rear needs to be from a Camry using a Camry brake rotor? I've looked up the brake rotor size and shape and they appear to be identical aside from the bolt pattern.
I'm hoping that this would be that simple.