Hub Project to make us wheel options (5/100 to 114.3)

>Cause I am not sure there is enough room to remove the 5x115 studs and piece once they are installed.

I'm not sure what you mean?

To do what I want, the hub will need to be pressed out, install the new 10 hole ring from behind, then reinstall.....10 hole will definately work with both patterns

Pat

CMS-GT4

What I am getting at is, are your wheels drilled for both patterns? If so, then a 10-hole wheel will fit over 10 lugs with no problem. But if the wheels are not duel pattern, then there is no place to put the 5 other bolts. So, they would have to be taken off to run the other wheel.

So are your wheels duel pattern?

Ah, you dont quite get it.....when its all done the will be no studs sticking out, but you'll see 10 holes with threads....at this point I can put on a 5/100 wheel or a 5/114.3 wheel, I'll just need to turn the wheel on the hub to align the appropriate holes then screw in a VW gti wheel stud which is 12-1.5mm with a conical taped head on it. all done!

btw when you guys put on the 205 rear rotors it needs to be centered since the hub center is a little bit bigger on the 205

Pat

CMS-GT4

I think I see what your saying now. So the studs will not be pressed into the hubs. You just move them to the holes you want to run. I still look forward to this, cause this will be likely the only way I end up going to 5x114. My rotors happen to be duel drilled as well. :D

Jonstew's been done with the cad dwgs some time ago, I've just been too busy & since the guy who usually did my cnc work passed away, its been on hold

If anyone knows someone who can use an IGES file to cut the adaptor out of chromoly & do the machining to the hub, let me know

Pat

etantshi

alltrac101":35k72m2t said:
darthripley":35k72m2t said:
i have a set of ST205 hubs in my living room that i can get measurements off of if they are the same as ST185 hubs.
just let me know where & what to measure.

would you happen to have the rears for the 205 as well? if so cay you send ne pics?

Pat

What kind of measurements do you need?

I have st185 fronts off the car right now, the rears I had off the car, but I just reassembled them.

Dunno if this helps or not.

ST205 on top ST185 on bottom
100_1249.jpg

ST205 rears in background (with studs in)
100_1248.jpg

Fronts (mix of st205 and st185)
100_1246.jpg

Lemme know what measurements you need.

etantshi

Do you still need clearance from the rear backing of the hub to the stock side brake assemblies? I can get that when I go to the shop later on tonite.

CMS-GT4

I am curious what the final cost of this project for the consumer will run.

• Hubs will need to be pulled and drilled.
• Possible new wheel bearings.
• Stud conversion parts
• Redrill rotors or custom brakes.

It won't be cheap, but wheel options will go up considerably.

etantshi

I think the rear will necessitate modification or scraping of the whole stock parking brake assembly, and moving toward a caliper type parking brake.

CodingParadox

Has anyone tried using something like a 93+ camry rear spindle, but instead of the normal driveshaft-less bearing, using the front bearing + hub? There's a cap on the back side of the spindle, the hole goes all the way through. I just don't have a camry spindle to check out, but I'm tempted to order one up through car-part.com for some test fitting.

I'm tired as hell of blowing through rear bearings/hubs/spindles. I really want to swap to a new spindle/hub with better bearings. This type of redrill solution doesn't solve that problem at all, unfortunately.

exST165

Is there anyway to upgrade the bearings? I wondering if there is an common heavy duty application out there that could be made to fit with a bit of machining to either the hub or spindle or both. Similar to the way that Audi TT brake rotors will work. Anyone have any industrial/automotive bearing supply catalogs with specifications?

Either that or a complete hub/spindle assembly from a 4WD SUV like a 4Runner or Sequoia that could be made to work with "minimal" fabrication.

Just trying to think outside of the box here ...

Thomas

CodingParadox

The hard part is finding a spindle setup with similar suspension mounting points. The alltrac rear is a (3? 4?)-link crazy thing with mcpherson strut that's not shared on many platforms. The camry is the closest thing we have.

lumbercis

alltrac101":39ymn3uu said:
the rears can be redrilled to accept 5-114.3, but its getting real close to the edge, potentially dangerous
with the fronts, for some reason it apperas to be small in diameter than the rears, so the front is out of the question

with what I want to do, I can keep my gram lights & run my new volk as well

P

Are you sure? The pics above look like their is tons of material on the hub in between the bolt hole. Or do you mean that the 5x114.3 bolt circle would push out too close to the edge of the hub?

J.

lumbercis

^Wouldn't Pat's ring-mod thing have the same problem then? As I understand it, it attaches to the back of the stock hub?

J.

CMS-GT4

I was looking at my hubs yesterday and I do not think there is enough material to go out to 5x114. You might have just a couple MM of material on the outer side of the bolt. So the backing plate would have to be holding everything together like pat said.

There still might be room for failure though. Seems a bit risky.

lumbercis

So the idea of the backing plate is that it would provide the extra reinforcement that you would lose by drilling out that close to the edge of the hub?

Isn't getting the wheels themselves re-drilled for 5x100 a lot easier?

J.

CodingParadox

Some wheels you can't redrill. However, I'd still way rather get an actual 5x114 hub to get bigger bearings. The alltrac bearings are just horribly horribly weak. If you do motorsports in your alltrac at all, you'll be replacing bearings at least once a year, twice sometimes.

lumbercis

Do we have any unexplored options to achieve that?

Whats the fewest/smallest parts that we could have manufactured to allow the Camry thing to work?

J.