ST165 to ST185 ECU Conversion

All4Traction

Today i got my AC working, i guess a wire came out of one of my AC plugs, HAHA, so i guess it wouldnt have worked before i switched ecu's :p

DangerViking

just got my connectors and plugs this week and *fingers crossed* may be getting a sample of the female 165 ECU plugs soon.. if so, I'll post on here about how I got them :)

celicast3sgte

Anyone in this thread interested in a 205 ecu?! i got one laying around I dont want it, im running standalone. PM me if your interested. I have a harness like the one u made specifically for rewiring these ecus to other models.

Qlynxer

I was able to get some female plugs of a MK3 Supra ECU, i can also confirm that first gen eclipse GT had the same type of ecu. I also have two of the three male plugs. Still looking for that for that last one however.

QUan L

DangerViking

I got em!!! they came in the mail yesterday, two brand new female 165 ECU connectors, no scavenging needed. I went to Tyco/Amp's website, and under their questions page, there's a link to ask for samples, so I wrote:

I am attempting to build a prototype standalone Electronic Control Unit for several vehicles which use part number 1-172319-7. If possible, I would like to investigate purchasing or receiving a few samples of this connector to complete the prototype and detemine feasibility for the project before making a large-scale purchase (600 is the minimum order that I have seen for this part number, and I will not need that many units until my proof of concept has been completed). If there is a way to make a smaller order of 5 or 10 connectors, I would be interested in that as well. Please let me know. Thank you!

While it wasn't *strictly* true, it was what they wanted to hear... two days later I got this email:

Response (Kass C.) - 04/10/2006 03:49 PM
I have place an order for 2 pieces, which is the max from our Japan sample room. You should receive these in about 7 days.

and I got the connectors a few days later. woo hoo! I'd suggest varying the story slightly so it doesn't look *too* suspicious, but it's worth a shot :)

DangerViking

Alright, almost done with a diagram for 165 <--> 185 harness conversion, and I'll be doing a writeup when it's all over, hopefully :)

On the 185, the circuit opening relay for the fuel pump is controlled by the FC line on the ECU, but looking on the 165 wiring diagram, the same plug on the circuit opening relay connected to the fuel pump is run by the AFM... therefore, if you use a 165 AFM, you don't need to connect the FC pin to anything? Just wanted to make sure, that's the only thing I really had any question left on.

Here's what I've got so far (the FC pin is circled so that I'll remember to look into it):

http://www.dangerviking.com/alltrac/ECUpinouts.JPG

P.S. this whole thread should probably be a sticky, since so many people are doing first to second gen swaps, and there's been some really good info on here

Qlynxer

Finished up my harness yesterday and everything seems to be working fine. Car idles smoother and seems to have better throttle response. Much thanks to All4traction for sharing this wonderful idea. I would highly reccomend that all 185 swappers look into this. I've never done anything electronic related but was able to get everthing put together in just a day.

Quan Ly

BTW On the 165 ecu, what does ELS and ACT got to?

This is really interesting stuff. While I'm not yet going to go for the '185 setup, this would make the engine swap a pretty much complete bolt-on when I do get around to that. This needs to be stickied or FAQed, and if I need to, I'll be scavenging a few ECUs as well. This is far far better than having to hack into your wiring!

alltrac.net

sticky worthy

I had done all the wiring (in theory) on paper in a notebook for this conversion, and lost the paperwork.

It's good to see that someone actually got it done.

This opens the doors for st205 ecu on st165. Since it is so close between st185/st165.

datajon

HI.

female receptacle is amp/tyco part # 174518-7

the male plugs are part #'s 174514-6 (16 pin), 174515-6 (22 pin), and 174516-6 (26 pin), with contacts being part #'s 173631 (large) and 173716 (small). you'll need 16 of the larger and 48 of the smaller ones.

does any one know the parts numbers for the 205 ecu pcb sockets and plugs as well as th e185 ecu socket and plugs..

i have been looking though
http://www.onlinecomponents.com/ stocks all these parts.

but no pictures , or spec of connectors, with plugs. Thus making it very hard to know what parts to order.

wanting to make more conversion leads, for mega squirt, motec, pectel ecu upgrades, but don,t wish to continue hacking good working ecu and looms apart for the critical parts……..seem’s such a waste..

many many thanks for any info..

datajon

Hi its been a long time.

Hi.

At long last got the 185rat on the rollers, having used dl1 & accelerometers for gauging power output, when road mapping..

Having recently changed the turbo, due to oil seal failing on the exhaust side, thus filling the exhaust system with oil, 3rd turbo this year.

hopefully the hybrid ct turbo should last for a few months.

ecu megasquirt msextra 029t code, with custom electronics.

Operating boost window 1.6 bar max

Dyno run boost max 1.34 bar

slight misfire 5550 & 6050 , having problems with position sensor, used denso, now using missing tooth setup, similar problems , moving onto optical sensor & wasted spark.

charge temps /power

run (1) 1.32 bar MaT 31.7C 272.06 bhp 323.48 ft/lbs wheels
run (2) 1.34 bar MaT 39.4C 282.24 bhp 302.72 ft/lbs wheels

Engine health poor, smoker…been running 1 to 1.6 bar for almost a year…not bad for stock internals….lol

dyno plot as you can see the missing ignition signal...

DSCN4007.jpg

ms log of event

run1.jpg

injector duty 101 % on 550 running higher fuel pressure, improved fuelling system, with mods….no 5th injector this time, a close call.

not bad 1st run using mega squirt.

Think some larger injectors , wind the boost up a notch 1.6bar hopefully see over 400 bhp on flywheel…

Using ms-extra running on the megasquirt is best buck for bang return..

Gary ST165

awesome results datajon. :D

323.48 ft lbs at the wheels is very impressive on a 50mm CT hybrid @ 1.34 bar and 550 cc injectors.

the megasquirt has delivered at long last. congratulations.

not bad for stock pistons

8)

toytech

great info, just ordered my connectors and wire terminals.
If they are correct< I will pass the info on to mr controls so they can make plug and play harnesses for the standalone without killing an ecu for the connector.

All4Traction

Well, I will have my harness and ecu up for sale in a short while, check out the for sale watch section and shoot me some offers.

Toxygene

What's the largest horsepower number you can safely run on stock internals?

Is it unusual to be in the 300-350 range on stock internals?

xCH121Sx

Since theres a minimum order of 30bux at Onlinecomponents.com...

anyone wanna buy all the components needed for 15bux Shipped in the US.

i was just gonna buy double to get closer to the 30 minimum buy.

when i receive the stuff ill let you know and ill ship it when i receive the money... sound like a plan?

GT4gone

Anyone familiar with the above website, and part #'s??? I'm looking for the male/female/connector pins for a conversion from ST165 harness to the ST205 ECU?? Someone.. :shrug: HELP?

1) female 165 part # (3pcs, i believe)...
2) male 205 part # (4pcs, i think)...
3) (#pcs?) large connector pins
4) (#pcs?) of small connectors

BACKGROUND: i have a complete gen3 w/ partial harness, all the clips and plugs in place. so i plan on hacking my 165 harness at each plug, replacing it with the 205 plug.. then making one of these nifty harness adaptors, and plugging in my 205 computer...
Will it work? Will i have to change anything in my engine bay like the fuel relay or resistor? injector pack? igniter? etc, etc??

ON THE CONVERSION HARNESS: most of the connectors between both 165/205 ecu's will be an easy concept of: "A=A, B=B, etc.." but i know the 165 is AFM, and 205 is MAP, so i know there will be a hurdle there - do i just splice the MAP plug where the AFM used to be in the engine bay, and at the ECU's connect AFM=MAP?? What other hurdles will i have to overcome, either on the engine wiring or on the ECU side, esp with the differences between the two engines/harnesses?

anyone familiar with this, please let me know whats ahead of me.. never swapped between generations before, so i'm unsure what more is needed aside from the engine itself, and computer to run it... what other components of a Gen3 will i need? What headaches will the conversion harness bring?

THANKS!!! Cant wait to hear back...