no more TEC3 & Nemesis, AEM installed!

tweekgt4

the nemesis does support wideband o2 and has it's own controller built in but it's not compatible with any other wideband except for the sensor you can buy as an option for it.

there's a way i can switch my aem wideband to a 0-1 simulated but i can't remember if i can calibrate the sensor to the nemesis...

i'll check the board for the wiring and griffin has already been giving me advice.

thanks all.

turbo4wd

Terboman":2uimgb7o said:
The AEM MAP and IAT conversion is pretty well documented. Read this old post from the MR2 Boards.....
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=4764&page=1&pp=30

I think on our forum, Griffin has had the most firsthand experience tuning these AEM units. Maybe he could write something up for all the AEM owners to help them get started with their tuning?

Just a thot.........

I wasn't able to get the link to work.. is it working for anyone else? I need to start reading up on this as well so I can install your AEM Lee.. :D

tweekgt4

this is for a gm 3 bar and gm iat...

thanks to griffin for the wiring colors.

1) would you be able to tell me which MAP (ABC) wiring
goes to which color wire on the stock boost sensor?

I assume you mean the colors of the wires on the car. Pink with blue
tracer
is 5V reference, Red with white tracer is sensor output, brown is
ground

2) power and ground (red and black) on the IAT to
which wire on the AFM wiring?
polarity doesnt matter - one wire to the grey wire and one to the brown
wire

and...

my car starts with the sensors hooked up. i just need to figure out how to turn down the fuel and mess with warm up enrichments. it's pig rich now from the previous maps. anyone have the batt offsets for 3rd gen 540cc injectors?

tweekgt4

i was running pig rich and was able to turn the fuel down. as i turn the fuel down to about 13.8 AFR, my idle shoots up to 2600ish rpm. i messed with the throttle rotor stopper screw and hte idle screw on the t/b and got it as low as 1600. this is with the screw on full tight.

that's not the way it should be. well, i have made a few more adjustments so we'll see.

if you can offer any advice, it iwll be greatly appreciated!

i will also check for disconnected vacuum hoses too.

Terboman

Jeez, all these AEM users on this board. Griffin, Marcus, Dan...now Herman..and prob some dudes I can't remember. Seems like the one mod that everyone agrees on. I always thought it would be good for the majority of owners to be using the same EMS so that everyone could pool their tuning knowledge.

U know what? I was just cruised over to the AEM forums and poked around a bit. Did you guys hear about this "early" or "late" versions of the AEM box for 3sgte's?? What's the diff?

tweekgt4

i saw that they have two versions for the alltrac/mr2 now.

i think the only difference is that the older boards had too many fixes and instead of referencing the newer fixed units to the older needing fixes, they just gave the newer units a new model.

save on confusion?

i know the first 10 boxes needed to be sent back for some updates needed to be done.

anyways, i figured out my idle... my car idles now! the idle% vs. target needed to be adjusted.

next thing is to adjust the fpr to lower the base back to where it should be. at idle, i can't bring my AFs stoich. it's at 13ish. pushing 550cc to 580cc and then trying to get 580cc doesn't seem to work.

this will be fun when i get blitz 850cc since there's no posted values. may have to send it in to AEM.

one thing for sure is, if the part is not stock

tweekgt4

car is idling well... drives well under 3000-3500 (maybe lil more above that). still need to fine tune the AFs but it's close!

i haven't really pushed the car yet on high to higher boost and i'm not even sure where the boost is at the moment. very light footed.

i did get rid of the afm thanks to griffin.

so... all i gotta do now is figure out timing. i'm using as it seems a more conservative timing map than the one given as a base map from AEM...

i'm looking into it.

illGT4

tweekgt4":1umzxxhv said:
car is idling well... drives well under 3000-3500 (maybe lil more above that). still need to fine tune the AFs but it's close!

i haven't really pushed the car yet on high to higher boost and i'm not even sure where the boost is at the moment. very light footed.

i did get rid of the afm thanks to griffin.

so... all i gotta do now is figure out timing. i'm using as it seems a more conservative timing map than the one given as a base map from AEM...

i'm looking into it.

cool herman.

I'm going with either nemeisis or aem in the spring. Trying to get a feel for either.

( and no i've never been to celicatech.com .. someone just brought that up though, besides you.)

tweekgt4

you just picked up an aem?

welcome to the aem club. ;)

i've spent many hours reading and getting to know my aem software. i haven't figured out what and how boost compa is used as of yet but i got most of the other stuff down. i wish someone else had some timing maps i can compare to mine other than the map from AEM...

BoostedBlueToyotas":158xfabc said:
Woot, I just bought one from Craig at Thompson Toyota

So add me to the list (after I get my car running and broken in :D )

damselracer

im also looking for a standalone, and pretty much narrowed it down to the nemesis or the aem. Im not all that familiar with tuning, so having someone like Ricky B close by to help is really a strong factor for buying the nemesis, but i have heard better things about the aem..... argh, decisions.

One question i have about both of these- does anyone know if either or both of them have adaptive learning? That would be a major selling point for me if they did.

tweekgt4

the nemesis has ricky b for support and he's great to have around but can't always be there. when i had the nemesis, it took a few times to get it remotely close to a decent tune and i still had to find a person to do some street tuning.

for aem is the same. if you have someone who can drive the car steady (this rpm range hold at this load) and if you have a wideband, you can get a good street tune down. as for on boost, you can pretty much do the same if you can watch the AFs.

the hardest part is learning the software. i never got comfortable with the nemesis software but i did the tec3 and the aem is getting nice to use.

the nemesis has long term learning but i don't know how far it goes as to learning and making adjustments to your fuel curve. you can easily add or take away fuel yourself. the aem has an idle learning feature but as the name says, i think it has to deal with idle only.

now, another reason why you don't need really need adaptive learning is you have o2 feedback. both ems can bring AFs to a target you put in a map. also, o2 feedback should only be used up to a certain rpm...

damselracer

thanks for the info! thats what i needed to know

i know someone who has the nemesis in his MR2 so i think i will play with it and see how comfortable i get with it. If I dont like it, i guess its time for the AEM :)

Griffin

damselracer":1smjpb4o said:
im also looking for a standalone, and pretty much narrowed it down to the nemesis or the aem. Im not all that familiar with tuning, so having someone like Ricky B close by to help is really a strong factor for buying the nemesis, but i have heard better things about the aem..... argh, decisions.

One question i have about both of these- does anyone know if either or both of them have adaptive learning? That would be a major selling point for me if they did.

Its not nadaptive learning, but the AEM does employ a feedback mode and a knock protect mode - the feedback mode lets you build a map to your DESIRED A/F ratio and then as long as you have a wideband hooked up the car will autocorrect the fuel setting to get the a/f ratio to your target. Its cool because if you set it up to do that and then log a couple runs you can go back, look to see how much correction the ECU was having to make and then correct the basemap to where the ecu is naking minimal correction. You then leave it enabled long term and it will continue to keep your car running at your target A/Fs even if you get some high alcohol content fuel or the general condition of your engine changes. The knock protect basically watches for knock and if it shows up then it kicks in fuel and pulls timing to compensate.

Both feedback and knock protect can be turned on and off at will.

JOSH

so, I got the AEM for my st185 and I am currently installing it? :D
I wanted to know how all you guys hooked up your UEGO controller? I know the orange goes to the ox1 input on computer and I believe you can use the black with yellow stripe wire from the factory 02 for switched power.
Now according to the UEGO instructions it says the signal ground is not needed?

The other ground they said hook to battery ground. Why? Is this just to insure a good ground? I see battery ground as no difference as any other. My battery is about 15 feet away in the back probably where most of you have yours?

SO, how did you guys hook your grounds?

Did anyone else bother to take out all the unneeded wiring from you harness or am I the only crazy one? I already unhooked my ac, abs, and cruise control a while ago and now with all the uneeded sensors I ended up losing half my harness!

I started reading the 199 page manual and stopped at about page 20 because it felt to much like boring computer work than horsepower crazed tuning fun. When I get this running I am sure I will probably have some stupid software questions?

Thanks guys for any input on the ground situation.

:shrug: , Havent installed mine yet, or bought any sensors (wideband,
IAT, etc...). Maybe I will have car running this summer, but this is
getting to be a long hard process :x

Austen_gt4

well if you would stop sending everything out to get coated it probly would be close!! j/p yeah i know one thing after another..

tweekgt4

it's been a while but i think i hooked the ground up to the ground on the aem... if not i grounded it to a screw somewhere in the passenger kick panel area.

i believe i only hooked up the ox1 wire and that was it.. sorry, it was sooo long ago.