Help understanding the gt4dc citcuit for code 54

CMS-GT4

I am trying to sort this out but have some questions.
Here is the link.
http://www.gt4dc.co.uk/website/howtos/st205_code54.php

They use resistors to solve the problem. I am trying to do this at the ecu. Can anyone verify what B and E are on the diagram? I think they are ground and power.

And can you tell what colors are on the diodes? I thought I had this hooked up right with a 1k ohm, but still threw a code 54.

thanks,
JC

Mafix

seems that they may be a power and ground...also looks like you can just wire a 1kohm resistor between the 2 and it'll work fine. i'm sure one of those is ground and the other perhaps is a check value positive line for the ecu.

Gary

If you are doing this at the ECU, just putting the resistor between E and B will not eliminate code 54.
You have to join E, M and M+ together and hook them with a 1k ohm resistor.
Connect that 1k ohm resistor to the IC relay (or any power wire)
Also, you will need another 1k ohm resistor between that IC relay wire (or any power wire) and the MTT.

See this diagram:
st205ecudv2.jpg

CMS-GT4

Thanks gary. I may have done it wrong. I spliced into the ground, and the ecu power then to the m+ m= and mtt wires. I had two resistors hooked up. It looked just like their diagram but for e and B I used ground and ecu power. So, your saying I use the IC relay instead?

Gary

One thing that isn't right is you can't use diodes.
You will need resistors. (1k ohm is brown-black-red)
Diode is used to control direction of the current, which is not in this case.
Another thing is that doesn't look anything like the write up. :p
But yes, according to them, E is grounded.

1om2.jpg

Gary

It doesn't matter on this type of circuit.
The forth stripe represents the tolerance of the resistance.
Gold is +/- 5%
Silver is +/- 10%
None is +/- 20%

CMS-GT4

If I ever get to meet you gary, I will give you a big kiss!! That fixed both my codes. Thanks gary!

CMS-GT4

Well I have a new problem. The code is off as long as the car idles. As soon as I revi it, it thrrows a code 54. Could it be something is either shorting out, or the resistors are not enough under more load?

Gary

I believe they suggest you to link two pins together, not grounding it. :shrug:
Now, this one is a bad suggestion but, have you reset the ECU?

CMS-GT4

Yes. I reset it a couple of times. I am doing this at the ecu. So what other wire is the LEV supposed to be linked to? This could be my problem.

I reset everything, then I let the car ilde fora bit and its fine. Its until I rev the engine or try to drive then the code kicks in.

Maybe if I hook the LEV to this other wire it might fix my problem. Thanksfor you help gary. I just need to know what the other wire is.

After looking at scotts diagram and yours, what if I put LEV where M+ and M- is?

Gary

After I look at the wiring diagram, the LEV should be grounded in order to avoid the error code.
In the write up they short the 2 pins and one of the pin is grounded.

On Scotts diagram, I'm pretty sure that the diode is not necessary.
And yes, you can put LEV to M+, M and E because they are all grounded.

One thing though, make sure the INT pin must be hooked up to a 12V source.