P06 Honda conversion, poor mans EMS

88Allheeze

I just got done making a chipped honda ecu work in my st 165, I dont have the funds to get AEM EMS so i ended up using a honda ecu that i chipped and RTP. I got about $50 into this setup and a bit of time, the tricky part is machining the honda distributor and making a shaft adapter to bolt on the honda parts to the toyota head. The greatest thing about this is that there are program such as CROME that you can make all ur own fuel and timing maps, launch control and the best part, you can get rid of that flapper door maf! It uses a MAP!!!!!

if anyones interested i can send some pics of the current status and more info.

Mafix

i'm sure everyone will be interested. i'm also sure everyone will ask to see some pics and a dyno graph.

cardude

very interested indeed. will there be pictures and a write up possibly?
Did you have to change many sensors or anything except the distributor work.

88Allheeze

yes when i get everything all nicely ran i will make a wiring diagram in how i did this, my friend that machined the distributor and adapter was saying that he could do more for a fee.

I had to use the distributor, air temp sensor, coolant temp sensor ( for ecu) then i used my zeitronix 3.5 bar map and wideband

cardude

are you able to do any kind of knock sensor control? do you still use the stock computer to run stuff like AC?
this has very much sparked my interest because i am a poor man.

88Allheeze

no most hondas dont run knock sensors, i just have a msd knock box, you can get that js safeguard too i think. I have long since rememoved my a/c but you could still use the stock ecu for that.

cardude

ive been reading up on this a little and it seems that some vtec motors use knock sensors and crome at least has knock control.
i could be wrong though.

gearhead313

wow, this is pretty cool. its nice to see you got a honda ecu working, i can't imagine how much time you put into wiring and matching circuits up!

Hondas have knock sensors, mostly vtec engines. I'd recommend going to a p72 so you at least have the knock option. You could even use the IAB circuit to activate the TVIS, that'd be pretty cool.

How's the RTP working out for you?

88Allheeze

Yes, ive got a few weeks into wiring research, but its worth it in the end, I removed my TVIS but before it was gone i thought of doing that.

I just got the datalogging part working, Honda has a built in RX and TX signal and there are multiple free programs out there to datalog.

Next working on the real time programming.

Does anyone have a st165 tps connector lying around? I could really use a new one to finish my project, my other one broke

cardude

what are you using for the rtp. are you using ostrich?
it seems that by the time i get sensors and such i could almost get a megasquirt for the same price and put in about the same amount of work because i want knock control and all the fancier stuff.

88Allheeze

well i got everything running and driving great. I also got the real time programming working and datalogging also. Now its time to re make my harness and get everything tucked away

WannabeGT4

Props for thinking outside the box.

Is there any chance of using the Honda ECU with the Toyota distributor, coil and ignition module? If not do you have some detailed drawings or instructions for making the Honda distributor work?

88Allheeze

i wish i could have used my toyota one but a honda uses 3 pickup for sensing distributor rotation and also the coils have differnt impediance. I do have the exact messurements on how to get a honda distrubutor machined and the exact messurements on making the shaft adapter. If you want I could see how much my moms boyfriend would charge to machine yours to to fit.

Remember you will need an obd1 honda distrubutor, id suggest getting one with an internal coil from a d15 honda ( should be easy to find).

The reason i suggest to use the honda dist. is because the size of the housing is a little bigger than the stock toyota but it has an internal coil and small igniter, so you can get rid of that off ur firewall.

I have currently modified my wireharness for using the honda setup, which you get ride of alot of un needed sensors. Also Im re running my harness to follow the firewalls pinch weld, so i dont have the pesky harness running though the intake manifold ( alot easyer to remove the injectors) If your gunna keep the tvis, id suggest to either have an rpm switch made ( i have some schmatics if u want them) or get a VTEC ecu and use the rpm output of ur choice to activate the solinoid.

88Allheeze

on thing you could do instead of cutting and remaking the wireharness, is to take an old ecu and use the female plug from it, then use it as a jumper harness between the honda ecu can ur stock harness, i did this for testing before i remade the my harness

coyoteboy

very impressive mate, what size maps etc does it have. Any tips as to where to find the software so i can look round it?

88Allheeze

www.tunewithcrome.com

It goes from 500rpm in 100rpm increments to 7900 rpm, then from 26 inches of vac to 41 psi of boost (for my 3.5 bar map)

It also has a afr table so it uses the o2 to find the target afr for the rpm

this is the main map editor im using, then ECU control is more for gauges and datalogging