The SMT7...closest to a standalone you can go :)

Weasy2k

As promised here is a brief summery of what the SMT7 can do and i wil also include some pricing information at the end:

Well the long wait is finally over! The SMT7 will be tested by me on the mr2 once i get it in mid november....after years of development and the success/shortfalls of the SMT6 have taught the Perfect Power team alot about what to do for its next product.

Here is some key features that will really benifit the MR2 market.

IGN MAP
Up to 2 balanced ignition signals (CRANK+CAM) can be intercepted and mapped via Throttle/RPM, AMP and Air temperature for the purpose of retarding/advancing the ignition.

This is great for proper modification of engines that involve timing to be adjusted with refrence of the CAM and Crank sensors (soon to have an additional DOHC support) Something the SMT6 lacked...

ANA1 MAP
An analog signal is intercepted via the A1IN/A1OUT connections and mapped via Throttle/rpm, AMP and Air temperature for the purpose of altering fuel at specific engine conditions.

With the adition of having Air temp and engine temp on the same table you are able to modify how much fuel comes in depending on the temp of your engine and can also be modified by the air temp (heat soak and such).... This will come in handy.....

OXY MAP
A narrow band lambda signal is intercepted and can be mapped via Throttle/RPM.
A wide band signal can be modified (not intercepted and not displayed!).
This feature gives the ability to modify a closed loop system on cars that already have one installed.

It is now possible to modify the closed loop system with a wideband unit to make more precise tuning for low-mid power ranges

ANA2 MAP
An analog signal is intercepted via the A2IN/A2OUT connections and mapped via Throttle/rpm, AMP and Engine temperature for the purpose of altering fuel at specific engine conditions.

A second input for Analog signal so you can modify open and closed loop using the same piggy back system or whatever else you can think of (maybe getting rid of your AFM)

More below....

Weasy2k

FUEL LOOP
A closed loop system can be constructed on cars that don’t have one installed. It requires a narrow band lambda sensor and the loop control is provided via Throttle/RPM. This feature operates with the ANA1 MAP fuel tuning.

Not mr2 related but great for people who want ot add closed loop tuning on a older vehicle

BOOST
It is for turbo installations where the boost must be controlled to avoid knocking on non-decompressed engines, or when the boost is increased at high RPM. The boost level can be specified for each RPM. The SMT7 will operate a “bleed” valve with the specified PWM values. Take note not to use a solenoid that measures less than 13 ohm.

This is great for the mr2 and having turbo system U can set 2 fuel maps to go with 2 boost maps...flip a switch your crusing at 10psi...flick the switch and rip around at 19psi. Fun Fun

LAUNCH CONTROL
This is for turbo cars where “spooling up” of the turbo is required on the start line. The ignition is retarded when a specified RPM is exceeded and advanced when the clutch is released.

People go giddy with this feature and some people hate it...but its nice to have that option!

Heres the real kicker:

MAF/MAP CONVERSION
The SMT7 can be used for converting from a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor to a MAP (Manifold Absolute pressure) sensor. The SMT7 can “learn” the MAF sensor characteristics while monitoring the MAP sensor. After the “learn” process the SMT7 requires fine-tuning.

Now that is what makes the SMT7 really shine! For below what a VPC or Standalone will cost you...u can loose the stupid flapdoor!
This is a big step in piggy back technology and best of all it doesnt need to be "chipped" or whatnot like the VPC does.....great little addon!

Those are just SOME of the features the SMT7 does right out of the box....
I will be working closely with Perfect Power to make sure this unit will work with the 3S-GTE engine and the 5VZ-FE (Tacoma/4Runner) toyota engiens (more will come shortly after)

All the testing will include working with every commanly used features (ignition timing, maf conversion, fuel map).

Of course i have to note one thing...Is this as good as my favorite EMS the Hydra Nemesis? NO! but this is the closest thing to being a standalone until you can afford to take the next jump (at current price the smt7 is half the cost of EMS) in regards to mods on there MR2's......

The price for the unit as of Nov.3/04 is 580USD......
compair that to the emanage....which is around 500 with 1/4 of the features and uses alpha-n to determine load...which is not good for turbo vehicles (TPS vs RPM scale) as at the same throttle position you can be at -10in hg or in the 3psi range+ (dpeending on the turbo spool and load) this will provide either really rich or really lean condition using TPS vs RPM load.

Hope this was informative! More info on my website soon as i get everything up to date...feel free to email me for more information.

ChrisD

I think he's referring to a harness that will allow him to just plug in the stock engine harness to an smt harness, which then would plug into the ecu, no soldering required, and go. If you take a look at the wiring diagrams, they aren't that tough at all though. Definitely no harder than any other piggyback out there.

Weasy2k

Ahhhh i understand what he ment by 165 i thought he was talking about a price :)

:oops:

Sorry :p Yea the smt6/7 does not comewith plug and play (notto say they wont in the future) but for one simple reason....
Each person is different....some may want only fuel control (total of 4-5 wires to modify) where as others want it to control as much as they possibly can (NO2, WI, FUEL, TIMING, LOOSE AFM etc) which requires a bit more work. Just let me know what you want before you order and ill be able to help you out on what kind of wiring you need to be doing. :smokes:

Weasy2k

I am placing the order for a SMT7 shortly as they just started production of the next batch of the units, so testing will begin shortly.

___Scott___

chris_dittrick":2zxqi540 said:
I think he's referring to a harness that will allow him to just plug in the stock engine harness to an smt harness, which then would plug into the ecu, no soldering required, and go.

Good luck with that. The ST165 ECU connector is tough to get. I've spent more than 6-months tracking down the part number and trying to buy the things, and just yesterday I found out the minimum purchase quantity is ~ $13,000.00 USD worth of them. I'm working other channels, but don't hold your breath.

Weasy2k

Then again what for? there is a total of about 6 wires you have to work with for basic fuel and ignition setup.... :smokes: Easy

emicen

___Scott___":1ufrw5gy said:
chris_dittrick":1ufrw5gy said:
I think he's referring to a harness that will allow him to just plug in the stock engine harness to an smt harness, which then would plug into the ecu, no soldering required, and go.

Good luck with that. The ST165 ECU connector is tough to get. I've spent more than 6-months tracking down the part number and trying to buy the things, and just yesterday I found out the minimum purchase quantity is ~ $13,000.00 USD worth of them. I'm working other channels, but don't hold your breath.

:shrug: Seems like a lot of hassle to supposedly save effort with pnp type function.

Weasy2k

emicen":1qlcy191 said:
___Scott___":1qlcy191 said:
chris_dittrick":1qlcy191 said:

:shrug: Seems like a lot of hassle to supposedly save effort with pnp type function.

Agreed!

MIG407

think the smt7 would have the capability to support a 350-400hp application?...
weasy2k would you mind making a write up of how to install and tune this thing? also adding a map bin to your site would be nice...and would really help out those starting out.

would i be able to control 880cc injectors with the smt7 ? or am i restricted to 550cc?...

Weasy2k

MIG407":2ze08ako said:
think the smt7 would have the capability to support a 350-400hp application?...

That is in the works and will be proven, My goals for my MR2 is 330-350hp so at least ill touch the lower end of your scale :p

weasy2k would you mind making a write up of how to install and tune this thing? also adding a map bin to your site would be nice...and would really help out those starting out.

This is also in the works, a bin dump will be made as well to help with starting out as you mentioned.

would i be able to control 880cc injectors with the smt7 ? or am i restricted to 550cc?...

No problem here you can control 880cc as well as 550cc....no restriction.

The website will undergo alot of content building in the month of december and you will see big changes daily. This includes a detailed write up of the smt6 and smt7 (including pictures)

Weasy2k

MIG407":3hajzzpp said:
if itll handle 880cc injs...then it can defenitely support a 400hp application.

It can handle them, but there is one problem that will come up, and that is your maf runs out of breath at around 275-300whp.

Of course the smt7 if everything works out the way it should, will be bale to replace the AFM(if you got them) with a 3bar sensors :)

Weasy2k

MrWOT":2jw729y0 said:
So any idea when the testing will happen? I'm just itching to get one of these :D

testing will happen as soon as i get this unit :)
Most likly early Jan....through Jan ill test the more indepth features of the smt7 unit. Within the first couple days i will test the basic features and if it all works out ill quickly release the unit....