Recommended EMS on 185 motor for 450+ hp?

RWDragoon

Just tuned a supra with a SM4 tonight stock engine VVTi with GT35R turbo and 830cc injectors (full race fuel pump) and on pump gas at 19lbs of boost made 430hp and 384lb/ft of torque not bad for a full street setup

Simba

RWDragoon":2e05n6tv said:
Just tuned a supra with a SM4 tonight stock engine VVTi with GT35R turbo and 830cc injectors (full race fuel pump) and on pump gas at 19lbs of boost made 430hp and 384lb/ft of torque not bad for a full street setup

That's actually pretty horrible, assuming you mean a 2JZ. I make considerably more power on mine with a smaller turbo and less boost. Unless you're at some crazy altitude, I'd take another look at your fuel and timing.

RWDragoon

we are at like 3000ft above sea level. Running 91 octane pump gas 430hp is a good number up here. It is a conservative tune with about 11-11.2air/fuel. With race gas we could do high 500's maybe 600. The biggest problems we have with the SM4 is VVT-i Cam control.. Its very difficult to find information on.

$200GT-4

Why not just advance the VVTi as soon as the engine gets the slightest whiff of boost? FWD-3SGTE is tuning it yourself an option or not? Widebands and datalogging software make it pretty easy. Unfortunately for me I haven't gotten the SDS to see eye to eye with the wideband, which is the same signal the datalogging software for the wideband gets so I've had to glance back and forth from the tach to the AFR gauge; also effective but a bit more time consuming. If you know what AFR #'s to shoot for the timing's the only thing you really have to worry about when it comes to blowing up your motor.

RWDragoon

Well the best way we have found regarding the VVTI is to have a consistant camshaft sensor mounted on the exhaust cam. So therefor technically we can only estimate where VVTI actually is in realtime another sensor needs to be mounted to tell us actual timing.

ST185pinjo

Isn't 11-11,2 a bit rich?

I'm running 11,5 at 15psi. My friend is dunning 11,8 at 15 psi on 95 but he uses WI.

This is a question only.

Hic

RWDragoon":133kr6if said:
we are at like 3000ft above sea level. Running 91 octane pump gas 430hp is a good number up here. It is a conservative tune with about 11-11.2air/fuel. With race gas we could do high 500's maybe 600. The biggest problems we have with the SM4 is VVT-i Cam control.. Its very difficult to find information on.

No it is quite easy. Email Ray Hall at info@autronic.com and ask him for cam setup. He has an exactly same setup. 2JZ GTE with GT35R and VVTi. So...
don't say support is no good. ;)

purplecelicaGt4

Simba":y8lyjym7 said:
Any of them will do it, it depends what you want out of the system. If you want to plug it in and go (more or less), AEM. If you want better anti-lag abilities and the ability to self-tune it on the road, check out Autronic.

If you're going to be running lots of boost and want maximum flexibility over your timing and fuel maps, pay a few bucks more and go MoTeC.

I'd stay away from the hobbyist systems like the MegaBoom, they don't have enough map points for a properly running street engine IMO.

By saying Mega Boom you meant megasquirt?

silence

Hic":jzn3n8tx said:
first of all, go to MS forum and see the problems yourself.

Then you can decide :)

I disagree. MS is a great tool for those that know how to tune and want total control without breaking the bank. I'm currently installing it on my turbo bmw. Dont be so quick to dismiss it, there is great support, and a lot of options when using it.

Hic

silence":1v4bxsns said:
Hic":1v4bxsns said:
first of all, go to MS forum and see the problems yourself.

Then you can decide :)

I disagree. MS is a great tool for those that know how to tune and want total control without breaking the bank. I'm currently installing it on my turbo bmw. Dont be so quick to dismiss it, there is great support, and a lot of options when using it.

I tuned more than 100 cars.....and I would never, in my wildest horror dream choose MS for my project, even for a lawnmover :)

I know how to tune and precisely because of that I know MS CAN'T DELIVER!

silence

Hic":1s7d2ctr said:
I know how to tune and precisely because of that I know MS CAN'T DELIVER!

Give me facts, not opinion!

Why can't MS deliver? WHat doesnt it have that other EMS systems have?

Mafix

actually now that i own one and know how to use it, i'm very impressed with the hydra. it can do so many things it's not funny. although tuning is a PITA. the end result is very good