Supra TT fuel pump
20psi of boost
greddy td06 turbo
FMIC

Goal is reliable 350AWHP

Fourplay

gtfourever":zyhpbk5n said:
need it or not? .... Goal is reliable 350AWHP

Need no. Beneficial yes, especially in terms of a potential increase in reliability and longevity which I assume are important to you.

ST185pinjo

I'm with Fourplay.

WI has other benefits than keaping cool, such as cleaning of your engine from carbon buildup.

20 psi is substantial. Some kits are cheap($200) and if you only use it for cooling and keeping clean from carbon buildup I say yes. You need to build in safety's for when you suffer a blocked nozzle or you run out of water.

I have been looking into WI myself. A member on the MR2oc runs 26 psi on a GT30 on an unopened engine. :shock:

magnum

I don't like the idea of one or two nozzles that most companies use for their water injection kits. Liquids do not flow evenly in a intake plenum. And just like nitrous to get the most reliable system it is best to go with port injection. This site has what I think to be the best system and info on water injection. http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/waterinjection.html

brophats

well the gen3 wrc engines have a single spray nozzle where the cold start injector is on the gen 2's i would think if it didn't work well the rally cars wouldn't put it there.

004.jpg

klue

Water injection works very well once it is used correctly and efficiently. The idea is not to inject a liquid, but to get the water into a VAPOR with even distribution into all cylinders. The benifits to a "port" water injection system are minimal as compared to a throttle body injection system. TBI allows more time for the water to cool the charge before entering the combustion chamber, and leans the prevention on to the "pre ignition side". I have found good results by using very high pressures 100psi +, and if you budget premits, using 4 individual smaller injectors at the top of the intake runner is nice aswell.

Fourplay

klue":9ftps86m said:
TBI allows more time for the water to cool the charge before entering the combustion chamber

Correct. General concensus on jet placement if you are only running one is immediately after IC outlet. However, provided you run a high pressure
system and the water is very well atomized you can even run pre turbo jets.

Many years ago I even had beneficial results from crude low pressure systems, not pre compressor of course :wink:

gt4tified

Water Injection should always be a consideration for turbocharged engines of age or modded engines. While not entirely necessary, it will save you the cost of running a lot of race gas to prevent detonation...water = cheap! And I doubt you'll be doing 20psi on pump gas expecting your engine to outlive you right?

toayoztan

I say go for it (for the reasons listed above). As long as it's properly set up and safety/fail-safe is worked in, you should be good.

Bryan

Gary

Don't tune your car using water injection.
Your car should be able to run reliably without one (at what boost you normally run & with gas you normally use).
Then, you can add it for an extra oomph similar to N2O, IC spray bar, and other secondary mods.

gtfourever

I'm gonna go for it, I've got $6,000 into the motor I guess another $300.00 would not be a bad idea. Thanks for all the helpful input...