ST205 vs. SW20 Gen3 Power FC?

phattyduck

I tried searching around a bit and couldn't find an answer to my question.

What are the differences between the two gen3 3s-gte Power FC versions? Are there any real differences?

I know that the stock MR2 ECU controls the electric power steering pump and the stock ST205 ECU runs the intercooler pump (from different ECU pins that don't interfere with each other). I assume otherwise that they are programmed the same... Worst case, I can wire my intercooler pump to run constantly, which would not be a big deal to me. I would be using it on my ST205 swapped Camry and I want to keep the stock AWIC in there.

I can pretty easily get a brand new MR2 Power FC, but the ST205 one is a different story... and yes, they are supposedly both discontinued from what I hear.

I'd appreciate any info you guys have.

-Charlie

Kyoto

You pretty much nailed it. Speak to Chris Dittrick. I haven't looked at this board in ages but last i heard he was re-wiring an MR2 PFC for his alltrac (not sure if it was Gen3 or not though.

turbo4wd

One of the guys on the board here had put a 3rd gen ECU into his 2nd gen engine (with the proper sized injectors and sensors required) and used a 3rd gen PowerFC to control it. He had a SW20 3rd gen ECU, and the PowerFC for the ST205.

To be fair though, he didn't have the electric steering pump, or a WTA intercooler setup to worry about when it came to using that setup - but other than that, he had no issues using one with another..

phattyduck

I did a lot more searching over at GT4OC and found a few guys who put the MR2 Power FC on their ST205s, which means I should be fine. It just requires wiring the intercooler pump to run constantly.

Thanks for the help. :)

-Charlie

Wolf_Tm250

phattyduck":35o338xg said:
It just requires wiring the intercooler pump to run constantly.

Hi Charlie...

only this ?
Are you sure ??

A friend of mine has the MR2 3rd gen PFC on its ST205 engine/loom but the engine goes on three... an injector is not firing...

Could you please tell me the GT4OC members' names ?

Thanks !

phattyduck

Wolf_Tm":31xrbhqs said:
phattyduck":31xrbhqs said:

Hi Charlie...

only this ?
Are you sure ??

A friend of mine has the MR2 3rd gen PFC on its ST205 engine/loom but the engine goes on three... an injector is not firing...

Thanks !
If it is only a single injector not firing, it is a problem with the Power FC (or wiring). I am 100% sure that the injector pinouts are the same between the MR2 and ST205 gen3 ECUs.

Was the Power FC used previously? Maybe one of the injector drivers is burnt out. Also, check the injector balast resistor to make sure each injector is getting power (this power doesn't come from the ECU, but from external relays).

-Charlie

Wolf_Tm250

phattyduck":lp0pphxt said:
Wolf_Tm":lp0pphxt said:
phattyduck":lp0pphxt said:

Hi Charlie...

only this ?
Are you sure ??

Thanks !
If it is only a single injector not firing, it is a problem with the Power FC (or wiring). I am 100% sure that the injector pinouts are the same between the MR2 and ST205 gen3 ECUs.

Yes, I know it... I checked the 2 ecu pinouts many times before telling my friend to buy it....
I thought about a problem for the other not-corresponding pins... the TRC, or a +B1 that ST205 doesn't have...

But if you say that in UK have not problems to use it....

Was the Power FC used previously? Maybe one of the injector drivers is burnt out. Also, check the injector balast resistor to make sure each injector is getting power (this power doesn't come from the ECU, but from external relays).

-Charlie

The PFC is new... and with the stock ST205 ecu is perfectly running...

phattyduck

Wolf_Tm":117kkzhr said:
Yes, I know it... I checked the 2 ecu pinouts many times before telling my friend to buy it....
I thought about a problem for the other not-corresponding pins... the TRC, or a +B1 that ST205 doesn't have...

Good info.

I believe TRC is for the optional gen3 traction control on the MR2 (not available on the ST205).

+B1 and most of the other power supply pins should be connected internally on the Power FC anyway. You may have to return the Power FC as defective, since the car runs fine on the stock ECU.

-Charlie

Wolf_Tm250

phattyduck":5jtr4lau said:
Wolf_Tm":5jtr4lau said:

Good info.

I believe TRC is for the optional gen3 traction control on the MR2 (not available on the ST205).

Exactly...

+B1 and most of the other power supply pins should be connected internally on the Power FC anyway. You may have to return the Power FC as defective, since the car runs fine on the stock ECU.

-Charlie

If you are saying that they are using it with no problem and no rewiring, then I suppose you're right...

Thank you.

phattyduck

Wolf_Tm":2luh25y7 said:
If you are saying that they are using it with no problem and no rewiring, then I suppose you're right...

Thank you.
Exactly. The car should start, idle and rev just like normal. The intercooler pump will need to be wired to run constantly or an air-to-air intercooler installed.

-Charlie