is knock control and issue with the e6k?

MIG407

i posted the following question about knock control on the efi101 haltech forum. :
or lack of...since its not a feature should one invest in a J&S Safeguard ?
is it required/necesary? i had a tuner tell me he wouldnt tune my haltech unless i had a j&s safeguard...i had another tuner tell me its not necesary as i long as i run conservative timing...mixed responses...not sure which way to go...
rotorhead says:
Probably tuned 200 Haltech cars and never used any knock safeguards, and never had any problem. If you have been to 101 course you would have learned how to apply the correct timing to your engine. The Haltech has quite fine timing controls (32 load points per 500 RPM) so you shoud be able to tune perfectly for all situations. The key is to start conservatively (ie rich and retarded) and work your way up (The same with any aftermarket ECU). Once you have got good fuel maps with conservative timing you can run through watching for max torque. When you get to power run stages, go up one or 2 degrees at a time and watch torque (u can use the datalog to see what load points the computer is using during a power run). When it gets to the point where you stop making more, you have gone too far and back it off a bit. The 2 tools I use to detect knock are my ears and also the power graphs a DD produces. if you have a nice smooth curve with no 'hiccups' you know you are on the right track. Just remem ber you need the least amount of timing at the point of max torque!
I like the second guy, the first sounds like a bit of a cowboy!

Cheers!

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

Knock sensor control, as has been said, is a nice to have feature.

I agree with everything in this post.

If tuned properly, you will never have any problems with knock. But in the same sense, you wouldn't have any safegaurds if you ran some bad fuel.

If i were to go the E6K route, i would invest in a J&S. But in the same sense. If im going to go that far, i might as well buy an EMS with knock sensor feature built in.

geladen

Very interesting, I'm actually in th eprocess of installing a Haltech on an ST 165 and at first I wondered why Haltech never bothered with the knock sensors. Thinking about it though I came to the same conclusion, as long as you tune it properly, knock should not be an issues once set. The only time where it would be nice to have , is if you get some bad fuel, but I would think that you would notice right away.
BTW, who is the tuner you talked to? I'm in south Florida but if this guy is good and has a 4 wheel dyno, I will take up to Orlando. I have a buddy that lives up there anyway.
Cheers