Rom Tune vs Piggy Back vs Standalone Injector/Engine Mgmt -

MixMaster

I have 550 injectors and a Supra TT fuel pump. I still have the stock turbo setup and stock internals. I'm finalizing my list for the car and have read 1k posts, mostly older, on what to use to run the car properly and in the future. Looking for experienced opinions on this. I've searched and read for a couple of hours and nothing seems to be the clear cut "BEST" choice. Apparently the APC piggy back blows motors <<is about all I've seen repeatedly.

Thanks!

MixMaster

I just found the section on the site that this is discussed a little more in depth BUT, my goals are a street driveable car with 300-350+ HP. I think I've found a couple of local tuners and am trying to find what systems they handle now.
Much like everyone else, I say I want to get to one point but then I'm sure the power bug will strike and I'll keep trying to add.
I guess at this point, I just want to know what systems to AVOID.

Simba

If you want a reliable solution you can trust, get an EMS. If you don't care if the car breaks/blows up occasionally, save some money and go with a tune/piggyback.

MixMaster

The AEM seems to be the consensus. This may be a dumb question but will ANY version of the AEM PnP EMS work? I found several on ebay-here's one:

http://tinyurl.com/5slfds

(I put in the tiny url, as the eBay url was messing up page format -RedCelicaTRD)

vip09

NO. You need AEM EMS 1121 for the '92-93 Alltrac & '93+ MR2 Turbo. You can use the 1120 unit like I did, but you will have to repin your wiring harness.

lumbercis

I don't want to ruin the party, but AEM has known quality control issues. Do a search on Supraforums for more info.

Despite Simba's experiences, I think you should at least consider ATS' TD06/Rom tune combo kits. They are by far the easiest and cheapest way to the power level you are seeking. However, they aren't upgradable, so if you are sure you will eventually want more power, you should go ahead and invest in the EMS now.

If you aren't fond of ROM tunes, the Hydra nemesis should be available with a PnP harness and they have good customer support if there is a problem.

HKS's EMS is good if you have an authorized tuner near you (not user tunable).

Autronic and Motec are good but somewhat expensive choices (moreso for the motec).

Good luck.

J.

tissimo

Yea, aem doesn't have the best quality control but dont be scared by that. I havn't had any issues with any of my aem ems systems (I've owned 2), nor has anyone I known (5 people off the top of my head).

RedCelicaTRD

The main people who I see have problems with AEM are the MKIV people. Everyone else in the automotive world seems to get them to work just fine. I don't know if it is the construction of that box that causes problems or if they are trying to do something the box is not capable of. It also seems like the same 4-5 people bad mouth the AEM on SupraForums and the others follow their lead without any first hand knowledge. Now, I don't seek out all the good/bad reviews of the AEM, since I really don't care, but I do know that Evolution owners are very happy with their AEM units. I have one of the very first AEM units available for the Celica/MR2 and have not had a problem with mine (that wasn't caused by me) in my four to five years of ownership.

And as far as customer service, no one beats AEM in my experience. I could tell a nice tale about a member who got zero support from Hydra, but I will let that member talk about it if they would like to.

In closing, all of the EMS options for the Celica are good ones, each with their pros and cons. The best thing to do would be to find a good tuner in your area and see which brand they like best. Then let them do the work on it.

MixMaster

I can get an SAFC 2 for $200 here local with the full harness and manual. Should I go with this until I get the rest of my setup inline, then sell the SAFC and get the AEM with the rest of the goodies?

What do you guys think about the SAFC II ?

toayoztan

MixMaster":399yxzyb said:
I can get an SAFC 2 for $200 here local with the full harness and manual. Should I go with this until I get the rest of my setup inline, then sell the SAFC and get the AEM with the rest of the goodies?

What do you guys think about the SAFC II ?

Be cautious with those as they manipulate timing, and the obvious that the unit won't allow you to independently adjust your timing.

Bryan

gt4tified

Simba":3k4sttmb said:
If you want a reliable solution you can trust, get an EMS. If you don't care if the car breaks/blows up occasionally, save some money and go with a tune/piggyback.

Aww, come on Simba, I don't think that's an entirely accurate statement. There are many ppl that I know who run rom tunes and piggybacks with great success.

I think the problem is that when you've gotten a perfect tune and then the speed bug bites again and you go doing mods without re-tuning, then that will probably end in disaster.

I think the cheapest bang for buck is still a piggyback, like the Emanage Ultimate BUT the determining factor is getting a proper tune for mods and the cars intended use.