Megasquirt FAQ, writeup (Updated 30/10/09)

Please, post your .msq file, your software version and tell me if you are running MSII or MSI. Please explain all the hardware modifications that are needed on a V3.0 board to run 4 direct coils (like you are doing).

Tell me how much did you paid for your 7" touchscreen. I'm doing a car-pc with an old laptop and the only missing component is the screen. I'm still undecided if I want a toucscreen or a standard one.

Please, send us more info about your setup!

Sam

Quark

http://www.msextra.com/download/file.php?id=9458 => Msq

Pwm setting are not done, and VE/Ignition are worthless.

that 7 inch screen is a radio/mp3 player/navigation/telefone all in one. It costs 450 dollars appx.

I am running ms2extra code.
Buy 2 sets of vb921 at DYIautotune, and connect them to d14 and d16. Run + to your coils and fire the - for the vb921´s.
The vb921 cost something like 5 dollars... I toke the + from my originale coil and feed the coilpacks with.

You just put the 36-1 wheel into ms (or what ever wheel you have 60-2 for exsample) Tell ms2 that you have 36 teeths and one missing, and the tell ms the angle of the missing tooth at tdc. Also select wasted spark, and spark output on A on D14. Spark B will come by it self on D16.

tw2

Looks like a fun car once its finished.

I have a stupid question. Do you guys run in closed loop at all? It seems pointless when you can create perfect maps for no/low load with appropriate AFR's.

for my part, I'm using an AEM UEGO wideband and I'm not running closed loop. I tried one time, but the AFR was cycling high an low, trying to reach a targeted value. For sure, my EGO settings weren't ok, but I didn't look at it further.

The trick to tune a fuel table (VE table) with a wideband sensor hooked up to the MS is the following :

-create an AFR target map (AFR vary by RPM (x-axis) and load (y axis))
-load a base map that you are sure isn't too lean (richer is safer in anyways)(with a safe timing map obviously)
-roll with this map at various speed, RPM, loads for a good 5-10 mins
-datalog this run
-open megalogviewer and use VE analysis
-save this new fuel table to a new .msq file
-do it again and again until you are near the perfect AFR values

The VE analysis is a program that analyse your run and the datalogged AFR values. It compares the datalogged values with the targeted values (AFR map). It will upgrade the fuel map to a value near the targeted one.

It's a very useful program. I can tune any fuel table within +/- 1-2 VE points in a matter of 5-6 datalogged runs.

But, to use this, you must be sure that your MS installation is ok, no ghost problem.

I may try to hook up EGO control this summer, but with a properly tuned VE table, you will be ok for sure.

tw2

How do you create your target AFR map? I could probably make one up ranging from 11.8 full boost to 16 when idling or low load but I have no idea if it would be safe and how to range the values.

Do you have any idea where to get a base map for the 3sgte? what did you use? I imagine you can just scale all the values depending on the size of your injectors.

here is my AFR map. These AFR map are something universal :

ScreenHunter_13Jan271847.jpg

For the fuel map, use the VE table generator in the fuel map option. This will genrerate a base map dependign of your injector size, hp and torque number. This table will be too rich for sure, but this will be a nice starting point.

tw2

Thanks for the target table. I have read up a little more. The VE table has the "injector values" for MS to use, the AFR tables has the target values which never change and the ignition table is all about guessing.

Would you be willing to post your ignition table at all? It would be nice to start off with if you don't mind. I know it isn't fully tuned but it would be easier than starting from scratch for most of us.

Do you pretend that you have high impedence injectors when configuring MS? since we have injector resistors already built in for our low impedence?

Some of those fuel and cranking settings seem pretty complicated :|

Ok, here is my ignition table :

ScreenHunter_14Jan271848.jpg

Please, do not comment about the 10 and 0 values on the upper right part of the table. This is just for security. Anyway, I will never go past 6500 RPM and 12-13 psi until I have a kind of "knock listeners". I will try the "det cans" trick this summer (google it).

For my part, the stock ST215 injectors are top-feed, high impedance 540cc. For low impedance injectors, read about it in the Meagamanual, it's covered.

tw2

Some of those 0 cells you could not possibly get to with a t3/t4 anyway. Thanks for that. There are some excellent instructions on det headphones on mr2oc and also some diy instructions on autospeed using a jaycar micrphone amplifier designed for deaf people. I can find both of them if you need me to. They should allow you to street tune your ignition with someone else in the car.

tw2

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=242341 This is to the autospeed article via a link in the 1st post. I found this by accident just then on mr2oc.

Sorry I cannot find the other one from mr2oc, I cannot remember how I found it. It is basically some earmuffs with brass fittings drilled and taped into them, vac hoses going to a brass fitting which is bolted to the block. It looked pretty good and is very very cheap.

Quark

Hi guys.. I did something smart.. Or I think so :-D

I toke the ignition map from the AEM Alltrac EMS setup and made a ms sparkmap out of it...

Look here, I think that you dont find a better starting point then this.
ignmap.jpg

Quark

It is much more agressive than the other one that is posted here, but I think this is much closer to the original.

Watch out! All of the AEM users remove 3-4 degrees across the whole map before starting with the AEM base map. Please do the same. You would prefer to be in the safe side!

Ask some AEM users over MR2OC, they will told you that the AEM base map is too agressive.

Quark

3-4 degress is not enough to be a problem. Only at max load it can be a problem.. Never heard of it, maybe it true, dont know.. Will look into it on mr2oc.com

Quark

Got my MS2Extra up and running now, had a problem with one of the Vb921, but now its running. Still needs a tuning.... :-D

All this done without cutting any wires... :-D

Quark

Finally I got it running like its suposed to. A small problem with resistor from daugther board to vb/bip. Now its running strong.

Pit_celica> Do you have a problem keeping the idle down? Mine will idle at 1200-1250 with idlescrew shut and Pwm valve off.

The problem with our IAC valve is that it is normally open. So, even if you have set your PWM at off, the idle valve is open. I suggest you to plug the vaccum line of your IAC. This way, no air will enter by the IAC valve and your idle RPM will be set by the idle screw on the throttle body.

Further, when the engine will be nicely tuned, you will need to tune your PWM valve. You will remove the plug in your IAC vaccuum line, you will set your PWM to 100% (fully closed) at normal coolant temp. You will make a table (PWM idle % talbe) that ramp from 100% at normal operational coolant temp (180°F in my case) to 0% at -40°F.

This way, the valve will be wide open at -40°F and completely closed when the engine reach his operational temp.

As I said earlier, would you post your tuned .msq file, I wanna see it!

Good luck for your future tuning!

Sam

Quark

I will upload it a little later..

Ms2 extra have the function of inverting the PWM valve, so that not a problem, the problem is, that when its at 0% pw, it still lets air in. It operates fine at low temp.