Megasquirt FAQ, writeup (Updated 30/10/09)

Talk EMS and Computer related performance

Postby tw2 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:34 am

Thank you. I understand that. I think the problem is everyone takes a pic of their crank at whatever position it ended up at when they shut the engine off so it cannot be used as a guide to work it out.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Thomas, JDM 90 185, 06 350z
tw2
Established Member

Postby Quark » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:30 pm

Yes it is position one! If I was you, I would throw away the edis module, run ms2extra and use 2 vb921 to run the coils.. Alot of instruction on msefi.com

If you chose to keep the EDIS you can not use launch control og traction control, and you can only cut rpm by fuel... It suck in my opinion. It a very little effort to make the ms2 run the coils.
Quark
Club Member

Postby pit_celica » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:37 pm

why cant we use launh control or RPM ignition cut with an EDIS4 system?!?!

MSII send the SAW signal (this signal is the timing degree info) to the EDIS. The EDIS take this saw signal and trigger the coils at the good time, isn't it?

So, launch control is retarding timing, right? So, MSII retard timing and send the value to the EDIS module via the SAW signal. Same thing for RPM ignition cut.

Please explain why it isn't possible to use launch control and RPM ignition cut with EDIS module, because I really don't see why.

Thanks

Sam
1991 Toyota Celica GT-S ST184 with 3SGTE gen4 ST215 swap, Megasquirt 3 + MS3X, t3/t4 turbo, 3" full exhaust, front mount intercooler and more for fun !!!!!
pit_celica
Club Member

Postby tw2 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:24 pm

I have no problems having fuel cut only to retain rpm if that is true. I will certainly not personally be bouncing off the limiter with each shift.

Why would I need traction control? our cars are awd, its pretty easy not to lose traction. You can always use your accelerator pedal if you do happen to accidentially drop the clutch at 7000 in the wet with a puck/twin plate clutch.
tw2
Established Member

Postby Quark » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:49 am

Because EDIS will fire at 10 degress if it doesnt recive a SAW command.
EDIS will always fire a spark as long as it has power, and the engine is spinning.

If you use launch control you will need to cut by ignition and not fuel. The fuel let in the exhaust makes the turbo spin.

It a BAD idea to cut rpm by fuel... You will lean out the mixture, the rest is logic.
Quark
Club Member

Postby Quark » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:50 am

And launch control is not retarding timing, its cutting timing.
Quark
Club Member

Re: ....

Postby tw2 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:03 am

Quark25 wrote:If you use launch control you will need to cut by ignition and not fuel. The fuel let in the exhaust makes the turbo spin.

How?

Quark25 wrote:It a BAD idea to cut rpm by fuel... You will lean out the mixture, the rest is logic.

Why would it "lean out"? There will be no fuel at all so it wont be a lean mixture, it wont be a mixture at all. I can't see how this would be any different to the unused spark of every wasted spark ignition system.

I am not attacking you, I really do want to know the answers to these questions. I will use EDIS anyway since I have it, know how to use it and my car will be a moderate power daily driver where I have no need or want for launch control etc anyway.
tw2
Established Member

Postby pit_celica » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:33 pm

Ok, I was thinking that launch control was retarding timing, so, EDIS would be ok with this because it could receive a SAW signal with retarded timing info. The same apply to RPM ignition cut.

Thanks for the info

Sam
1991 Toyota Celica GT-S ST184 with 3SGTE gen4 ST215 swap, Megasquirt 3 + MS3X, t3/t4 turbo, 3" full exhaust, front mount intercooler and more for fun !!!!!
pit_celica
Club Member

Postby Quark » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:37 pm

The fuel in the burning hot exhaust will ignite. Look at people running open wastegates, the flames comes from launch control letting fuel into the manifold. Exploding fuel creates extra flow from expansion.

True about the mixture, it wont let any fuel at all. But before you cut it, you will lean it out, its not an ideal way of cutting rmp. Imagine bounching on the limiter with a fuel cut. If its a daily driver then I wouldnt care either.

I had a supra running on EDIS6 but changed it over to direct coil firing. All you need are 2 drivers to make i work.

Some pictures of my project.
Kreider moped 36 tooth wheel.

Mounted on car

First attemt... Hihi dont put it there, no room.

Ms boks PnP

Quark
Club Member

Postby tw2 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:27 pm

Thank you for the pictures, quite helpful. Feel free to post as many as you like if you have more useful stuff. The way I see megasquirt is a cheapish solution to those without a whole pile of money to blow on a plug and play standalone. I just assume that anyone racing will have enough money to buy the proper system that matches exactly what they want to do.

Which bolts did you use to mount your sensor? It looks like one is a lower timing cover bolt and maybe one below that aswell?
tw2
Established Member

Postby Quark » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:22 am

I used the oilepump bolt, but its not strong enough so I have to make a support to one more bolt one of these days.

I did actualy order a AEM from MCS, but i never arrived. Reasons where that i had to use the car every day, now that I dont have to use it everyday I can play around with ms.

Only downside to MS2extra compared to AEM EMS is running of the injectors which is not sekventiel.

To make HP doesnt need to cost a fortune :-D

Pictures of the mounting and wiring will be up doing the week.

And yes we need to help and support each other with this system. I am in the progess of finding the right setup for the Idle valve

Dont worry about the OEM toyota water sensor, its so close to the GM in calibration that it is not worth worring about.

Sorry if I misspell words, I dont write english that much.
Quark
Club Member

Postby tw2 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:32 am

What board are you using? The 3.0 can and the 3.57 does have the ability to run our stock idle up valve apparently. I have posted up the latest wiring diagrams on page one. Any extra, missing or incorrect info, just let me know and I can add stuff.

Haha not a problem, I can't speak any other languages. sekventiel= sequential I assume, yeah batch fire isn't the best option but it gets the job done.
tw2
Established Member

Postby Quark » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:31 am

I use the v3 board, but you still need to do this upgrade.
http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/General ... M_Idle.JPG

It was more the software setting I was thinking about...

Jep write if it makes no sense what I am saying... :-D
Quark
Club Member

Postby tw2 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:23 pm

I will be using a 3.57 board which the PWM circuitry is already installed in. I know absolutely nothing about the software yet. I have downloaded it and had a small look but thats it.
tw2
Established Member

Postby tw2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:42 am

I got my camry V6 ecu to use the plug from for my patch harness to avoid chopping up the stock loom. Now I just need to work out the best way of removing it and wiring to it. I was thinking of chopping the board between each pin and desoldering it all to keep as much length as possible. I don't know how I will wire it to each pin though.

It looks like a lot of mid-80's to 90's ecu's probably have the same plug as the 3sgte. It even had the plug type printed on the top. 1vz is a crappy 2.0L V6.

ImageImage

Seems a bit of a waste destroying a whole working ecu for a plug but I guess these are everywhere and not worth anything. As you can see here vice grips are very useful for undoing a lot of the outside screws in the ecu case, they are done up very very tight. A 1/4" socket set with screwdriver fittings works very well for the 8 corner screws so you can really apply some pressure.

tw2
Established Member

PreviousNext

Return to EFI Corner