Megasquirt FAQ, writeup (Updated 30/10/09)

Talk EMS and Computer related performance

Postby ___Scott___ » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:10 am

If you want to remove the connector without damaging the pins, you can use a heat gun to melt the solder all at once. The connector will drop out, possibly with a little persuasion.

If you are not trying to preserve the pins on the connector, just use small snips and clip each pin near the PCB. Bend the first row up so you can get to the second row.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Scott
Colorado Springs, CO - USA
SONY
Opera - The better browser
___Scott___
Established Member

Postby Quark » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi Tw2.. I just looked up the PWM circuit. The 3.57 doesnt have that update, just for you not to burn that part down.

http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Ext ... .htm#Fidle
Quark
Club Member

Postby tw2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:09 pm

Now I am confused. This is from the diyautotune faq...
A) the addition of a PWM capable idle control transistor allowing control of a PWM idle valve or a standard on/off type FIDLE valve without need for modification. This was a common modification applied to the v3.0 board and is no longer needed on the v3.57.

But you are correct, the ms2extra manual says something completely different. Sorry I am not sure what you mean by this?
Quark25 wrote: just for you not to burn that part down

One more dumb question- MS2extra is only a software/code upgrade right? It doesn't require any hardware changes?
Thomas, JDM 90 185, 06 350z
tw2
Established Member

Postby tw2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:55 pm

I sent diyautotune an email to which they replied immediately.

While the TIP120 is a heavier duty transistor than the one on the V3.57, we have found the transistor that comes on the V3.57 is more than adequate for driving a PWM IAC valve without upgrading. We've used the standard transistor in the V3.57 to drive PWM IAC valves on several cars, one of which has been Megasquirted for over two years, and not had any problems. And we haven't had any V3.57s sent back to us with the transistor having burnt out (we'd replace it for free under warranty if such a thing were to happen). We don't believe that it is necessary to upgrade the stock IAC transistor to a TIP120

Just received my 1st order from diyautotune. They ship internationally very quickly (8 days to New Zealand) and that loom is very high quality. You can see all the wires are labeled with the various MS codes. I ordered a wideband bung for my downpipe since I cannot afford a wideband kit at the moment but I really need to take my DP off and fix it up and re-heat wrap it.
All in all I thoroughly recommend these guys for megasquirt stuff and they have full technical support.
tw2
Established Member

Postby tw2 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:12 am

Those two holes in the pulley are M8x1.25 I found with my tap and die set after gouging all the dirt and crap out of the threads. So.... if you got a big enough trigger wheel around 5.5" that it clears the edges of the pulley then the cheapest crappiest way possible to mount your wheel is to simply use two M8 bolts to hold it in. Locktite would be a good idea since you don't want to put so much tension on the trigger wheel that is starts to warp. You can see the two holes in the slots of my 4" wheel here.

I think I will do something similar except as I want mine mounted around 10mm from the face of the pulley I will make some spacers to hold it out that far. The tec3 alluminium adaptor way of doing it is nice but a little over the top.
tw2
Established Member

Postby tw2 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:21 am

Pulley measurements for a stock gen 2 pulley are:

The whole overall diameter is 135.10mm (5.32")
The inner sunken diameter is 84.10mm (3.31")
The crank bolt diameter as sitting at the surface of the pulley is 46.50mm (1.83") but beware it curves up to that point.

The two M8x1.25 bolt holes for a pulley puller are approximately 6.1cm apart.
The height of the pulley from the middle to the top of the closest wall is 25.40mm (1")
tw2
Established Member

Postby Quark » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:47 am

ahh New zealand. I know 1 guy and 2 girls there.

Okay.. That nice with the PWM valve, strange that they tell you to upgrade it in the ms2extra manuel.

I just didnt want you to burn down a circuit.. that all. From not upgrading the PWM transistor.
Quark
Club Member

Postby pit_celica » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:04 am

yes, those 2 M8 bolts are the easiest way of doing it. I suggest you to use some spacers (aluminium cylinder with 8.5-9.0mm diameter hole). The lenght of those spacers should place the trigger wheel something like 3-4mm from the crank pulley edge. Why? Because the trigger sensor is a magnetic sensor, the crank pulley is magnetic. You do not want the sensor to be attracted by the crank pulley, you want it to be attracted by the trigger wheel only.

I'm saying this, because your trigger is smaller than the crank pulley.

Sam
1991 Toyota Celica GT-S ST184 with 3SGTE gen4 ST215 swap, Megasquirt 3 + MS3X, t3/t4 turbo, 3" full exhaust, front mount intercooler and more for fun !!!!!
pit_celica
Club Member

Postby tw2 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:34 pm

Quark25 wrote:Okay.. That nice with the PWM valve, strange that they tell you to upgrade it in the ms2extra manuel.

Thanks, they make it sound like it is recommended to upgrade as it isn't designed to deal with the load but it works perfectly fine anyway.

pit_celica wrote:I'm saying this, because your trigger is smaller than the crank pulley.

I figured that would be a good idea. Unfortunately I only have 7mm slots in the trigger wheel so I might make a M8/M7 hybrid. Should be interesting.
tw2
Established Member

Postby Quark » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:51 pm

Cranked my car over today. Everything is fine, tomorrow I will atach the coils and see if it starts..

I have a msq if you would like to se it..

Supra coils

MStune is going to be running all the time on this 2xdin screen. It a touch screen, but no output for pc, so I need some other device to navigate in mstune

Just a little tease picture of the turbo on a mark up engine..
Quark
Club Member

Postby pit_celica » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:37 pm

Please, post your .msq file, your software version and tell me if you are running MSII or MSI. Please explain all the hardware modifications that are needed on a V3.0 board to run 4 direct coils (like you are doing).

Tell me how much did you paid for your 7" touchscreen. I'm doing a car-pc with an old laptop and the only missing component is the screen. I'm still undecided if I want a toucscreen or a standard one.

Please, send us more info about your setup!

Sam
1991 Toyota Celica GT-S ST184 with 3SGTE gen4 ST215 swap, Megasquirt 3 + MS3X, t3/t4 turbo, 3" full exhaust, front mount intercooler and more for fun !!!!!
pit_celica
Club Member

Postby Quark » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:12 pm

http://www.msextra.com/download/file.php?id=9458 => Msq

Pwm setting are not done, and VE/Ignition are worthless.

that 7 inch screen is a radio/mp3 player/navigation/telefone all in one. It costs 450 dollars appx.

I am running ms2extra code.
Buy 2 sets of vb921 at DYIautotune, and connect them to d14 and d16. Run + to your coils and fire the - for the vb921´s.
The vb921 cost something like 5 dollars... I toke the + from my originale coil and feed the coilpacks with.

You just put the 36-1 wheel into ms (or what ever wheel you have 60-2 for exsample) Tell ms2 that you have 36 teeths and one missing, and the tell ms the angle of the missing tooth at tdc. Also select wasted spark, and spark output on A on D14. Spark B will come by it self on D16.
Quark
Club Member

Postby tw2 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:16 pm

Looks like a fun car once its finished.

I have a stupid question. Do you guys run in closed loop at all? It seems pointless when you can create perfect maps for no/low load with appropriate AFR's.
tw2
Established Member

Postby pit_celica » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:31 pm

for my part, I'm using an AEM UEGO wideband and I'm not running closed loop. I tried one time, but the AFR was cycling high an low, trying to reach a targeted value. For sure, my EGO settings weren't ok, but I didn't look at it further.

The trick to tune a fuel table (VE table) with a wideband sensor hooked up to the MS is the following :

-create an AFR target map (AFR vary by RPM (x-axis) and load (y axis))
-load a base map that you are sure isn't too lean (richer is safer in anyways)(with a safe timing map obviously)
-roll with this map at various speed, RPM, loads for a good 5-10 mins
-datalog this run
-open megalogviewer and use VE analysis
-save this new fuel table to a new .msq file
-do it again and again until you are near the perfect AFR values

The VE analysis is a program that analyse your run and the datalogged AFR values. It compares the datalogged values with the targeted values (AFR map). It will upgrade the fuel map to a value near the targeted one.

It's a very useful program. I can tune any fuel table within +/- 1-2 VE points in a matter of 5-6 datalogged runs.

But, to use this, you must be sure that your MS installation is ok, no ghost problem.

I may try to hook up EGO control this summer, but with a properly tuned VE table, you will be ok for sure.
pit_celica
Club Member

Postby tw2 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:41 am

How do you create your target AFR map? I could probably make one up ranging from 11.8 full boost to 16 when idling or low load but I have no idea if it would be safe and how to range the values.

Do you have any idea where to get a base map for the 3sgte? what did you use? I imagine you can just scale all the values depending on the size of your injectors.
tw2
Established Member

PreviousNext

Return to EFI Corner