Ecu question

MD. Celica

Are the 89661-20750 and 89661-20751 ecu's the same hp? Or is the 89661-20751 ecu 240hp or are they both 225hp? Please let me know! Thanks Nate

AvivB

rrain3288":27pi345o said:
They should both be jdm 225hp ecu's

"should" is the key word here... :)
Why to create 2 different ECUs (different p/n) for the same engine with the same spec for the same car?

89661-20750 ST185 - 10/1989-03/1990
89661-20751 ST185 - 03/1990-08/1991

MD. Celica

Thanks for the info.... That is pretty stupid why they repin for the same engine! Got to live Toyota.... I guess like their moto is; moving forward! LOL

BriinumsBo

follow up of the discussion here: http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... ht=#329563 (i personally think it`s in the wrong forum)

i have ST185 1990 european model (151f/Torsen)
my original ECU is european part. 89661-20770

so I got a 89661-20751 ECU from a friend (JDM st185) 1990. its plug'n'play. the weird thing - it didn`t throw out any error codes, but my speedo isnt working, so it should show something? it does on my original ECU.

well I didn`t feel anything on the butt dyno. maybe a bit crazy fast boost/power/rpm kick from 8psi to 13psi (I have HKS EVC, so maybe its not related). i will get an iphone with dynolicious software and test out both ecus several times to see if there is a difference in power output.

1) i`m searching for ECU pinout for my stock ecu 89661-20770, but have had no luck. can anyone help me out?
2) whats up with the speedo error not showing up?
3) how is the EGR controlled, does ECU control this or just monitors?
4) what is different in the JDM ECU? is there any point in swapping them in? are the fuel or ignition maps different?

AvivB

BriinumsBo":28v7ohye said:
follow up of the discussion here: http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... ht=#329563 (i personally think it`s in the wrong forum)

i have ST185 1990 european model (151f/Torsen)
my original ECU is european part. 89661-20770

so I got a 89661-20751 ECU from a friend (JDM st185) 1990. its plug'n'play. the weird thing - it didn`t throw out any error codes, but my speedo isnt working, so it should show something? it does on my original ECU.

well I didn`t feel anything on the butt dyno. maybe a bit crazy fast boost/power/rpm kick from 8psi to 13psi (I have HKS EVC, so maybe its not related). i will get an iphone with dynolicious software and test out both ecus several times to see if there is a difference in power output.

1) i`m searching for ECU pinout for my stock ecu 89661-20770, but have had no luck. can anyone help me out?
2) whats up with the speedo error not showing up?
3) how is the EGR controlled, does ECU control this or just monitors?
4) what is different in the JDM ECU? is there any point in swapping them in? are the fuel or ignition maps different?

1. http://www.ts-ogn.no/files/3sgte-ecu-pinout.htm
2. Dono... I still cannot understand why the ECU care about it at all... (JDM ones need it to limit the top speed).
3. ECU with the EGR VSV... (but I'm not sure about your model, I'm sure for newer ones).
4. Fuel map and ignition timings is a bit different to fit different quality of petrol (JDM ECU assumes better quality of petrol).

BriinumsBo

thanks for quick reply.

1) there is no pinout on your given URL for ECU 89661-20770 (the car originally was sold in Switzerland)
2) ok, but still, while my car has mechanical speedo and ecu reports problem if there is no speedo input for 8 seconds when in higher revs. jdm has electric speedo adapter for ECU. whatever..
3) so by swapping the ECU my car will run without EGR functioning? can it mess up something so I`d better block off the EGR, or I can leave it as is?
4) any further provement that it has different maps? for the fuel, I dont know, I use north-european 98 (no idea if its RON/PON/MON)

AvivB

1. sorry... didn't notice it doesn't there...
Switzerland is same as UK and UK spec is the same as JDM spec AFAIK.
This means that just find the closest JDM one... in this case is 89661-20750 or 89661-20751...
(89661-20770 = ST185 10/1989 - 08/1991)

2. It just meter from where the signal is coming from...
Mechanical speedometer - there is a mechanical cable running from the gearbox to the speedometer dial (mechanical dial) and there is a sensor behind the speedometer dial that generate the signal for the ECU.
Electrical speedometer - there is an electrical sensor on the gearbox that feeds both the ECU and the speedometer dial (electrical dial).
AFAIK, both signals are the same...
(I'm using JDM ECU that used to work with electrical gearbox sensor that now feeds from the speedometer dial sensor and it behave the same).

3. Blocking the EGR is always good... :)
But I'm not sure it will not work since I also found JDM RC engines/ECU that this signal is active and working... (like my JDM ECU).

4. Not sure, but ppl from US are swapping from JDM ECUs to USDM ECUs just for the reason it tuned to work with lower petrol quality.
(less power of course... )