proven good stand alones

toyotatuner

I am curious with who all has gone standalone and which system they are using. Also which engine you have and if you have done the 3sgte swap into a 5th gen body. thanks

oh yeah your thoughts on the system ur using too :D

Griffin

I'm running an AEM EMS with no problems. I love it. I have a ST185 with a moderately built 3S-GTE (injectors, cams, built bottom end, build head, P&P, 8500 rpm redline - that kinda stuff).

alltrac27

im running the AEM, its a very good affordable and user friendly unit.

a lot of the alltracs here in florida run haltech e6k. and of course you can never go wrong with motec.

GT4times2

I have an SDS EMS on the blue Alltrac. I also have a Microtech LTX8, and no car to install it in yet. Next project car will get it, I guess. :shrug:

AWDios

From talking to MR2 guys, I'm pretty sold on the Nemesis. Sounds like they have the best all around thing going on.

Griffin

GT4times2":2st7jqek said:
I'd like to see how well the AEM works on the ST185. Experiences on the EVos have not been the greatest. Not saying that AEM is crap or anything, just not the best experiences. Installation of course couldn't be simpler though. One of the Evos (MY04) now runs a Motec M880. It's overkill for any street car or even most race cars, but it runs flawlessly. The other EVo (MY03) is still running the AEM, and still has lots of tuning to go through. The AEM processor seems to be so slow compared to the Motec even SDS. I love the self tune feature the Motec has. Simple. Make sure you have your wide band installed, and use the "Q" button :D . I'd like to get more feedback from you Dave. Thanks.

You should switch to 2D mapping on your AEM - makes tuning go a LOT faster for the air fuel.

Anyways it works great on my car, and on the MR2 I tuned. Also have a friend with a supra and another with a S2000 that are both running it with no problems. I think a lot of people get intimidated by all the options, but honestly its easier to tune than any other system I've come across. You just hook up the wideband, make a nice 25 mph - redline logged pass in 3rd and then 4th, make corrections and repeat. Tune your A/F curve off the wideband and your timing off the knock signal.

MIG407

man lets be real there are alot of good ems systems out there. i guess it all falls on what you favor to tune or what your tuner can tune. in puerto rico they just use the f10 to control fuel and just set the ignition with an msd box. to me its a proven ems. that being said some well repected people here on the alltrac and mr2 boards as well as in my area have their preferences.
for example:
-ben strader: autotronic
-chrisk: autotronic
-noshoes: electromotive
-atsaron: motec
-rickyb: nemesis
-rolo from cft:microtec
-jamasco: sds
-alltrac101: haltech
-rosado racing: haltech
-psi racing: haltech
theres also the fast and aem systems....
now all of these people know their stuff. i consider them all very good in their chosen field, experts even. but who is runs 10's or less? whos pumping 500-600hp+? frantz help me out here. your from the same state.what do all the high hp 3sgte/3tc/3rze motors here in florida and PR have in common?

furpo

yes there are a lot of very good ems out there so i would go with something that is local to you and is used a lot by your local guys. since you are in melborne the obvious is motec or autronic but these come at a price.

another option is the link or link plus. my brother is using the link plus on his rb20det and it is a very nice ems. for $2000 new zealand with boost control, hand controller, pc cable you are getting very good value for money. i am looking at using this on my st185 with mitsi coil packs.

roger

Griffin

MIG407":3kcw0gx0 said:
now all of these people know their stuff. i consider them all very good in their chosen field, experts even. but who is runs 10's or less? whos pumping 500-600hp+? frantz help me out here. your from the same state.what do all the high hp 3sgte/3tc/3rze motors here in florida and PR have in common?

To be fair - most of those cars have been around a while - some of the slicker units are new and are on cars (like mine) that are freshly built and haven't had time (or $$$) to grow into beasts yet. In another couple years there will be a fair amount of 500-600 HP AEM controlled cars out there. Lord knows they make power onenough other cars (like Supras).

tweekgt4

i was running the electromotive tec3. the car ran great. the coil pack was beautiful. but i wanted an easier way to run sequential (i didn't have the resources to get the cam sensor installed) and going with the nemesis have me 32x32 maps, sequential, and i'm still running direct fire.

so, i'm using the nemesis right now.

rallytrac

Has anyone used the HKS piggyback system or any other HKS product that works with or as stand alone. I have some credit @ HKS and wanted to use it towards a new ECU or add on product. Any advice on that would help. & Dave who does the work on your celica as you are close by and I am looking into getting my motor freshened up soon.

aus jd 2703

hey guys im a little confused
im pretty much set on a microtech lt8
but i read the manual and it didnt mention or explain the oxygen sensor.
i know i want wide band, does the lt8 do wide band?
also i wanna run an auto meter a\f gauge and it uses a bosh sensor same as most ecus my question do i need two sensors or can i run it off one sensor?
please explain i know these are probably dead obvious questions but im trying to learn

ST185pinjo

You only need a wideband for the mapping in most cases.
I run my EMS without one, only need one for making the maps. I just have an external one for safety.

Most EMS's don't use the O2 sensor like on the stock ecu.

Hic

Used Autronic SMC, then SM2, then SM4.

Now I use Vipec...PNP for all alltrac cars, and I love it.

I really wish only one of board members want to try it....it will be a great thing to hear someone's else opinion.

ST185pinjo

@ HIC

Is the tuning of the Autronic's about the same as the Vipec?

I mean Gert van Bloemendaal (I think you know him) tuned my SM4, so should he also be able to tune Vipec or are they completely different to work with?