Possible injector discrepancy or something else.

seabrook71

So I overhauled the first gen engine in my 165 and 3000 miles later the head cracked between the number 3 plug hole and the center cast port. First gen heads suck and I wont be making that mistake again. I just so happened to have a usdm 2nd gen head laying around. Since the bottom end was still fresh I rebuilt the 2nd gen head and assembled it on the 1st gen block. I used the 1st gen intake manifold. The timing belt lined up perfectly and I could find no problems with any other components. I'm using the twin entry 2nd gen ct26 and manifold. The car fired up and ran fine, except... At over 5 lbs of boost it starts to break up and can not go higher. It also does a weird thing when at highway cruise if you let off the gas and then roll back into it it gets a pulsating hesitation that clears up quickly with more throttle. Sometimes it gets an afterfire with rapid throttle input, but this is random and intentionally unrepeatable. The engine is using the 185 fuel rail and injectors from a 1990 engine, the 165 pressure regulator, the 165 harness and ecu. The timing is right on. I have not yet checked the impedence between the 165 injectors and the 185 injectors due to time constraints, but I'm pretty sure they are both 440cc injectors. The only other changes that were made during the swap was that I went to a front mount air to air intercooler with a greddy bov being recirculated back into the intake. Other than this issue the car runs great with normal throttle inputs. It's only when throttle inputs are aggressive that the problem arises. It's possible that it could be something else that's unrelated and coincidental. I'm suspicious of the afm. Any thought?

seabrook71

Disregard. Turns out high resistance 7mm plug wires got packaged into the low resistance 5mm plug wire box when I bought plug wires. Parts warehouses should require high school diplomas for employment. Half of my problems stem from parts warehouse incompetence. Now the car runs great. So I guess it is possible to frankenstien a gen 2 head onto a gen1 block.

88gt4DE

I'm most likely going to have to do this myself. Anything you would have done different ? I made it 7k on fresh rebuild ... lol ... Almost same story but I think my problem is with the camshafts ...