Year of this ECU?

Talk EMS and Computer related performance

Year of this ECU?

Postby Boo_Guy » Fri May 20, 2011 4:51 am

Can anyone tell what year ECU this is? It doesnt seem to have a toyota sticker on it :shrug:

The people selling it only know it came from an 'early' MR2.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Boo_Guy
Club Member

Re: Year of this ECU?

Postby jonnyboygt4 » Fri May 20, 2011 12:02 pm

thats the same blitz tuned ecu as ive got in my 91...heres a pic of mine..works like a charm...but i dont know if theres any differences for a ecu thats made for a mr2.... :shrug:
Attachments
blitz ecu vs stock.jpg
(33.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
91 JDM ST185
"just a little 4-banger"
jonnyboygt4
Club Member

Postby Boo_Guy » Fri May 20, 2011 12:21 pm

jonnyboygt4 wrote:thats the same blitz tuned ecu as ive got in my 91...heres a pic of mine..works like a charm...but i dont know if theres any differences for a ecu thats made for a mr2.... :shrug:

Im just a n00b around these cars / engines but I think the ecu's are pretty much the same between both cars. I know that for the 205s that the MR2 ECU doesnt run the pump for the WTA intercooler.

Ive also read that the 90-91 ECUs are different than the 92-93 so id like to make sure I get a 92-93 ecu. I think either will work, possibly with some minor tinkering. :shrug:
Boo_Guy
Club Member

Postby jonnyboygt4 » Fri May 20, 2011 1:11 pm

when i got mine everything plugged in to it just fine...the only difference was the way it mounts back in...I had to modify the bracket to make it work because the blitz unit seems fatter in size...for whatever reason...there was a bit of cursing a swearing involved...lol i had my all my seats out at the time which makes getting in there alot easier...
91 JDM ST185
"just a little 4-banger"
jonnyboygt4
Club Member

Postby athousandleaves » Sat May 21, 2011 7:31 am

MR2 & Alltrac ECU's are not simple plug & play upgrades.

Assuming this is for an early Japanese MR2 you will have to repin your harness to be compatible but still risk losing random things and getting bizarre errors.

Also, be prepared to buy top premium gas all the time + octane boosters as that ECU may have been tuned for a higher pump octane not available here.
1992 Red GT-FOUR RC 626•1800
1992 White turbo4WD
athousandleaves
Established Member

Postby Boo_Guy » Sat May 21, 2011 10:33 am

Japan measures octane levels different than we do, so we certainly do have the fuel here to run it.

98 oct there is about 93 here, 100 is 95.

I can get 95 easily in my town so its nothing to worry about.

NA measures octane by AKI, most other places use RON;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rat ... ne_ratings

Either way Im gunning for a known 92+ aftermarket ECU so that I dont have to repin it as they did change between 91 to 92;
http://gt4.mwp.id.au/Electrical/All%203 ... iagram.png
Boo_Guy
Club Member

Postby jonnyboygt4 » Sat May 21, 2011 12:14 pm

i know mine is a 91...but i did not have to do anything besides plug it in....no repin at all....good luck in trying to find one man! I really like how it transformed the car....its able to rev alot higher before hitting the rev limiter....althogh im not running any higher boost nor have I tested to see if the speed limiter is removed...lol the last time i checked on the stock ecu i cut out at 232km/hr on gps...thats a little too fast for my likings...lol
91 JDM ST185
"just a little 4-banger"
jonnyboygt4
Club Member

Postby athousandleaves » Sat May 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Having lived in Guelph for a while I'm curious as to where you can get 95 from at the pump, other than that place on the way to kitchner that sells E85.

Also have you thought about the 10% ethanol added to our gas?

On a side note, were you that goof that tried to sell yr trac on kijiji a while ago with a canoe on it?
1992 Red GT-FOUR RC 626•1800
1992 White turbo4WD
athousandleaves
Established Member

Postby Boo_Guy » Sat May 21, 2011 5:42 pm

I got it from what used to be the sunoco on the corner of paisley and imperial road, I think its 95, might be 94.

Yea, ultra 94. Petro owns it now but they still have it. I think all the grades have up to 10% ethanol mixed in. I dont think ultra had ethanol mixed in until a short time ago, why what is there to think about? I know e85 could older eat older fuel systems but Ive never used it.

:P Im a goof, but not the one you saw trying to sell the all-trac canoe edition.

I bought my all-trac late last summer from a guy near St. Jaccobs, then drove it home and its been garaged since then. I'll be getting it plated in the next few weeks. 8)
Boo_Guy
Club Member

Return to EFI Corner