What is the purpose of a Fual Cut Dispencer?

celicat93

Fuel Cut Defeat (or Defender or Defencer, but not really a word). It's part of a method used to raise your stock boost level by altering the signal going to your ECU. Fuel cut is what your car does to prevent overboost, which will cause your pistons to melt by leaning out the air-fuel mixture too much. The FCD tells your ECU that your boost is at a lower level than what it really is so that it can continue being fed fuel at a higher boost level. You also need a boost controller to prevent the wastegate from opening and bleeding off boost pressure. It is said that our cars can actually be safely boosted up to about 15 psi with the stock turbo, intercooler and fuel system. The reason the factory sets it lower (about 9-10 psi stock) is for better fuel economy and reliability.

celigts

So then it is beneficial to have one? And if I do not have a boost controller then itll cut at stock boost or am I wrong? Cuz it kicks in at 10 creeping to 11psi.

I have a controller under the hood but not connected yet. I don't know what lines to use for it as well. It's an hks knob controller.

celicat93

It's only beneficial if you have a boost controller to keep the waste gate from opening at 10 psi. You can buy a manual boost controller for about $30 shipped or make one yourself, just search for it on Google and you'll find instructions. Then you need a mechanical boost gauge to accurately see where your boost is. Sounds like you might already have an aftermarket gauge though if you know where it's boosting to. Do some searching, there's instructions for everything you're asking about on this site and other places online. These mods are basically the same on all turbocharged cars. See if you can find someone local to help you out.

celigts

Thanks for the help!

So just to make it clear the fuel cut is when max boost setting is hit right? Prevents damage to the motor and turbo?
Yes I do have a boost Guage slash vacuum gauge.

I appreciate the help alot tho and I love the alltrac owners for the help on this forum. It's very helpful for a new alltrac owner like me. I'll look into connecting my controller back up and put boost up to around 12 maybe 14. I'll see how safe I feel at 14.

Corey

celigts":2l6r2s4q said:
So just to make it clear the fuel cut is when max boost setting is hit right? Prevents damage to the motor and turbo?

Yep. The ECU enters limp mode and the engine must be shutdown and restarted in order to return to normal operation.

I have a controller under the hood but not connected yet. I don't know what lines to use for it as well. It's an hks knob controller.

Meurz has a write up on his website: http://www.turbocelica.nl/howto-boostcontroller.htm explaining how to install a boost controller.

Cheers

celigts

Hey I was wondering if the problem with my boost creep could be from the wastegate gasket issue I've red about. Think this could be a problem.