1st gen 3sgte w 2nd gen wiring

gt42fast

if i plan on running the aem system with my 1st gen motor, cant i just use the 2nd gen harness and ecu, instead of worrying about a jumper harness. maybe I am over thinking my situation, just want to make sure I am. LOL thanks for any help.

UtahSleeper

From what I understand there are quite a few differences between the 2 harnesses (shape and pin layout).

Whats wrong with the harness converters that make a first gen connect to a second get harness? Pretty sure I have seen them on here from time to time.

gt42fast

I have been searching for 3 days so far and I havent seen any one that offers a pre-made harness. I would have bought it already. But really what I want is to just use all 185 electrical since I am going to be running a full stand alone. The reason being is that the newer aem systems have no real compatibility with the 165 harness, this is from aem themselves. but their systems are compatible with the 185. I guess i wanted to know has anyone done this or the cons to why hasn't anyone just ran the complete newer harness and ecu as opposed to re-pinning.

I was a honda guy and the thing with jumper harness in those applications is really just to get the car to read obd1 or you want to retain the vtec in the system.

i am going complete standalone and so with everything that I have read my theory is that i can just use 185 wiring with aem and I should be good. thanks for help

UtahSleeper

The harness people, like Dr. Tweak and a few other, take your original harness and plugs/second harness and make it into one harness based on what you want.

I can't remember the usernames, but there is atleast one person who was/is running an AEM on the 185.

Personnally I am hesitant to mess with mmy 165 harness cause I don't fully understand yet what I can remove from it and how it all interacts with gauges, interior crap.