165 with 165 motor with 185 harness and 205 ecu?

warmachine

i tried searching, found a lot of info but not for this, kinda backwards i know but if i missed something lmk

so hear me out. i have a 165 with a factory 165 motor that has an old, nasty, cracking, oily harness. and at one time i had a mouse in the house...
it seems ok for now but has definitely had some shorts in the past and im worried about future problems. as most of you know these are not the easiest engine harnesses to get out, so id like to replace it before i put my engine back in...

a friend of mine is building a 185 and running stand alone but his car currently has a great harness with a piggybacked 205 ecu.
soooooo my big question is how much (if any) modification would i have to go through to make this harness (and possibly ecu) work in a 165? the harness would be free if i take it out, ecu not so much. im thinking maybe use this harness and a factory 185 ecu? or a factory 205 ecu?

thoughts/ ideas/ but mostly experience greatly appreciated

___Scott___

It's been a while since I've said this, so it's probably time to repeat it. The only engine it makes sense to run with a 205 ecu is a stock 205 engine.

I understand the desire to use a harness that's in good condition, but either repin the ecu end of the harness to work with the ST165 ecu or just use the ST185 ecu. Or, better yet, go with a programmable ecu.

warmachine

i was afraid someone would say that. its kinda what i figured to be honest. maybe ill just try like hell to get the emanage for a good price.

anybody have any experience with the emanage? is it worth while or should i just go full stand alone myself?

warmachine

well i got the stuff. dont have the emanage yet but im going to soon. im going for it on the basis of no flapper door afm and great tune-ability for future mods. Scott i completely understand that the only thing a 205 ecu should be running is a 205 motor, but there is a good chance i will be getting one of those soon as well. so now i basically need to figure out how to wire in a 185 harness into a 165 chassis(and motor) and i should be good for almost anything i do to my car in the future.

any other recommendations/tricks/ shortcuts for this kinda wiring adventure?

monkey8oi

you are not going to be able to use the st205 ecu with the st165.. for one, the st165 uses 440cc injectors and the st205 use 540cc injectors.. i think u should use the st165 ecu and just repin the st185 harness to work with it... or rebuild your current st165 harness while it's out of the car...

warmachine

thanks for the heads up guys,
im going to be using the emanage on this too. i shoud be able to dail up the pulse width to make up for the difference in injectors right? maybe with a upgraded fuel pump (i have) and a fuel pressure regulator?

as far as the electronics go does everything need to be replaced? i could see major things like tps for sure but what about coolant temp sensors and such?