Tuning and Build help.

Talk EMS and Computer related performance

Tuning and Build help.

Postby jensenni1 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:37 am

Looking at getting a hydra ems and wondering if anyone out there has a few pointers on tuning. Ill be doing it myself because i really want to learn it. As for build help i want to get a stable 600-650 out of my 92 3sgte and was wondering if anyone could advise me as to what parts id be looking at needing. Optimum i think would be an 800whp setup and tune it down so im not running everything at 100% and frying it every few thousand miles. But hey who knows thats why im posting see if anyones got better ideas :)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
jensenni1
Club Member

Re: Tuning and Build help.

Postby 4rsnduction » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:47 am

Wow 800hp from a 3sgte.....fun times indeed.
First things that comes to mind is epic cam lift duration, 40psi with E85 fuel and a borg warner EFR turbo.
Maybe upload a pic of your deep pockets :lol:
Just out of curiosity why not get an AEM ECU ?
4rsnduction
Club Member

Postby jensenni1 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:58 am

4rsnduction wrote:Wow 800hp from a 3sgte.....fun times indeed.
First things that comes to mind is epic cam lift duration, 40psi with E85 fuel and a borg warner EFR turbo.
Maybe upload a pic of your deep pockets :lol:
Just out of curiosity why not get an AEM ECU ?

Deep pockets? Noooo just after playing with this engine ive learned to quite love it :) 40psi? SHittt ATS has a 650 hp mr2 running 20 something psi if im not mistaken. I was thinking optimum overbore and tune it off that. Maybe a twin ct27 turbo setup? the prospects are interesting...I would also eventually love to pick up and alltrac and throw the motor in there because im not too excited having 600hp going to a fwd gts....not a happy thought on tranny rebuild.
jensenni1
Club Member

Postby Corey » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:09 am

If you haven't seen Pat's or Trevor's builds yet, these will give you a good idea of what you're looking at.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=21126

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=25459

A twin turbo setup would certainly be interesting to see. I don't think anyone has tried that before?

Corey
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby jensenni1 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:21 am

Corey Darling wrote:If you haven't seen Pat's or Trevor's builds yet, these will give you a good idea of what you're looking at.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=21126

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=25459

A twin turbo setup would certainly be interesting to see. I don't think anyone has tried that before?

Corey

Im not sure if ive seen one either..i was thinking about mounting them close to side walls and running cones directly behind side intake vents to feed the beasts. Relocating the radiator and putting a fmic in its place to hopefully reduce turbo lag. :P Anybody use a Venom intake from a eclipse yet? Those things are badass and i think i might try a custom adapter to fit to the 3s engine...hmm the prospects.
jensenni1
Club Member

Postby klue » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:45 pm

Tuning is not like doing an oil change
facebook.com/xiiimotorsports
#xiiimotorsports ON instagram
klue
GTFour God

Postby jensenni1 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:41 pm

klue wrote:Tuning is not like doing an oil change

I thought that was rather obvious...
jensenni1
Club Member

Postby klue » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:14 am

jensenni1 wrote:

If your asking for pointers then its not that obvious.

Its probably better if you just pay someone to do it properly on the dyno.
facebook.com/xiiimotorsports
#xiiimotorsports ON instagram
klue
GTFour God

Postby jensenni1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:30 am

klue wrote:
jensenni1 wrote:

If your asking for pointers then its not that obvious.

Its probably better if you just pay someone to do it properly on the dyno.

Well i thought pointers was the reasons forums existed? i could probably figure it out on my own i was simple looking for a few tips or tricks for first timers. Its not like i was looking for a how-to on tuning, :p I know all software and hardware has quirks so it helps to know that when setting item A to the X value its usually best to not allow item C to go above Y value or w/e. Thats all :p
jensenni1
Club Member

Postby 4rsnduction » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:08 am

jensenni1 wrote:Well i thought pointers was the reasons forums existed? i could probably figure it out on my own i was simple looking for a few tips or tricks for first timers. Its not like i was looking for a how-to on tuning, :p I know all software and hardware has quirks so it helps to know that when setting item A to the X value its usually best to not allow item C to go above Y value or w/e. Thats all :p

Each engine is different, so each tune is different.
One person may use a certain value for cold start injection on/off point compared to how your engine likes it, or possibly you might need more or less fuel trim compared to other people when hitting the high HP numbers.
One person may say dont ever take your ignition timing past X* but you may find that you can go higher or in fact cant and must sit lower..
Tuning isn't something i would personally f*** around with...rather pay a pro to do it...and have the blood on there hands if it goes sour.
Think about how much time and money Toyota paid there top level computer engineers to design an ecu that can control the engine safely under all operating conditions....now try and do the same on your first time....
4rsnduction
Club Member

Postby tubasteve » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:09 am

^ agree

But things you do need.... 2wd makes the 600 range a little better.

If your going to try to tune,i would have...

1) Extra motors and parts for the motors

2) a working daily diver

3) moneyz

4) Trans

Also, those high hp guys are using 5$ Camry blocks to handle the boost, not your run of the mill either.

Some ideas/pointers.

-jr
feb. 1990 alltrac red one: fun machine http://tinyurl.com/Tubasteve
5x114 conversion: http://tinyurl.com/nu3qnez
tubasteve
Established Member

Postby Mafix » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:18 pm

what parts are you planning on using to obtain 800whp in an awd car? this is the list i'm more interested in seeing as opposed to trying to learn and use a hydra. which i have done and can give plenty of pointers. but i don't think you are certain what you are talking about. 800 awhp will be at or over 1Khp on the motor.
Mafix
Gold Member

Postby tubasteve » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:42 pm

Stock pistons can do that right?:shock:

Rofl

Jk
feb. 1990 alltrac red one: fun machine http://tinyurl.com/Tubasteve
5x114 conversion: http://tinyurl.com/nu3qnez
tubasteve
Established Member

Postby monkey8oi » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:29 pm

did i hear this correctly? you want 650whp on a fwd celica? wow.. won't you be spinning wheels thru third gear?

might help if you list your current mods to see what's needed to hit your hp goals.. don't think you realize the time and $$$ involved in reaching your goals.. and after spending the $$$ required to support that goal, doubt you'd want to risk blowing your motor by "learning" to tune... not to mention the dyno rental time needed for you to do the tuning... things that you might want to consider before you just up n try to tune your own car without experience..
monkey8oi
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Postby jensenni1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Maybe i should be a bit clearer. Right now as far as i remember i have, jun crankshaft, acr bearings, eagle rods, piston rings, ct27 with td04 wheel, new valves, stock pistons (if im not stupid they were rated at 650hp? so due to budget i neglected it...bad decision). My plans are to tune this build as is and run with it for a while. Then down the road when i have moneyz to take the car down and redo the engine in all aspects. New everything, complete cleaning and rebuild, the works. Thats where the goal of 650+ comes in. At that point id be having someone come tune it and traveling to a proper dyno.
jensenni1
Club Member

Next

Return to EFI Corner