Dyno tuned igniton timing (on my friends VW)

BADNEWS

Well I just helped my friend tune his 2001 VW Jetta. It has the 1.8 turbo motor and has been HEAVILY modified. Just listing a couple main things are stroked to a 2.0 or 2.1 liter, big port head, aftermarket intake manifold, custom made tubular exhasut manifold, GT3582R turbo, and everything else that normally is done at this level. FMIC, cams, fuel pump, 160lb/hr injectors, etc. etc.

Ok this car has been dynoed tune and here is the final ignition table for 93 octane pump gas:

godacpumpgastiming.jpg

As you can see he is not going to run more than 20psi (240kpa) on 93 octane and here is the results on the dyno:

godac20psidyno.jpg

Now for 110 octane race gas, here is the tuned out timing chart:

godacracegastiming.jpg

Here is the dyno results, note the map sensor on this pull was fluctuating between 315kpa and 305 kpa which is 30 psi:

godac30psidyno.jpg

Just thought I would post this for people that are interested. Everyone does stuff different but this is how we did his car.

gearhead313

I'd swap turbine housings... that car has to suck to drive on the street. You can easily get the spool time back a little without sacrificing your top end, which wouldnt hurt ANYTHING based on what it looks like that head flows. Where the cambers bowled and flowed? I'd also guess you could run a longer intake manifold runner also... I just know how crappy it is to have your big number for less than 500 rpm :(

BADNEWS

gearhead313":o5262jrc said:
I'd swap turbine housings... that car has to suck to drive on the street. You can easily get the spool time back a little without sacrificing your top end, which wouldnt hurt ANYTHING based on what it looks like that head flows. Where the cambers bowled and flowed? I'd also guess you could run a longer intake manifold runner also... I just know how crappy it is to have your big number for less than 500 rpm :(

He used to have the .63 exhaust housing on there but with it being FWD the wheel spin was horrible. Not that at the 600 whp level it's better but in the 400's the slower spool helps with his traction. The .63 was just too much of a snapping shock to the tires.

Not sure about the head. I think he just polished everything up himself. But there was no porting done at all. But I'm not 100% sure on that. I feel like I more like 90% on that. lol

l0ch0w

That curve is yucky.... Cant say Im a fan...

A buddy of mine's bigger precision 6766 had much earlier spool and torque on an oversquare 5sgte... (2.1L) Only 24 psi too... He'd have been right at 900 if he was pushing full boost (~40 psi)
6766-1.png

Mafix

you did see that he is posting numbers for a 1.8l vw motor right? (i see that it is heavily modified)

lets us also note that all of the graphs here are using the max smoothing. and they are both different corrected numbers.
also just to note we are not talking about how said apple looks compared to said orange. he is only showing his ability to tune a higher hp build in the ignition area.

OP, good job on your work.

l0ch0w

Never thought to ask since your avatar says you live in Maryland... And I live near Kansas City... To me that is quite far... If you do happen to live closer, we should definitely meet up!

Now, ive always considered ignition tuning to be tertiary to first selecting the appropriate hardware components as well as fuel mapping... While the OP has done a very nice job with setting up and tuning these ignition tables, my comment was geared more towards the engine builder. Seeing that the motor is somewhere between 2.0 and 2.1L now that its been modified, I thought I would show a dyno from a much less technically advanced engine of roughly the same size to show that whomever selected the VE modifying components for this motor did not do a very good job of getting them to mesh well with eachother... Mainly I dont think his motor revs high enough for his powerband to be very useful. If hes got better valve springs / supporting mods, then I dont see why he doesnt push it to 8500 or 9000 rpm honestly....

Remember, this is the internet, and everyone is entitled to muck up threads with hate speech and their own stupid opinions of stuff :|

P.S.
There isnt any smoothing on my graphs? You talking about the OP's?

BADNEWS

Here it is with the same smoothing and correction, just for fun. Also this was in 3rd gear. 4th gear gives it about 300-400rpm faster spool on the dunno.

stdcorrection.jpg

RedCelicaTRD

The larger A/R is an old school way to deal with tire spin, but I fully endorse it. More power and less spin? Yes, please! And I personally don't see a problem with that map. A relativity flat torque for around 3k rpm sounds good to me. This isn't a v8.

And when it really come down to it, if the owner likes it that's all that matters.

l0ch0w

Mafix":3v298ayk said:
andrew: you need to make the dragon meets. i'm at those. it's a nice halfway point

Ive been planning on making the trip in 2013, but my alltrac needs to be ready first. I really really hope to have it finished soon...