Any way to get rid of the MAF?

FWD-3SGTE

Is there any way to get rid of that big annoying MAF sensor in the engine bay (I think thats what its called) - I wanna clear up sum room but not ready to go stand alone! any ideas would be awesome!!

thanx

Gary

Convert to speed density system.
You can use ST205 ECU (need wiring) or HKS VPC or goes stand alone.
Do the search, we have discussed this before.

___Scott___

FWD-3SGTE":aawc918y said:
Is there any way to get rid of that big annoying MAF sensor in the engine bay
You are in luck! The AllTrac doesn't have a MAF.

Maybe you are referring to the Air Flow Meter?

Gary

Yeh it's a common mistake when people call the AFM as MAF.
They are doing the same job but they are 2 different things.

___Scott___

I did a little research into developing an interface to replace the AFM with a MAF. I got into it just deep enough to figure out that they are fundamentally different animals. The MAF measures air MASS and the AFM measures air FLOW. These are not the same thing, unfortunately. Efforts to fool the stock ECU into thinking that a tweaked MAF signal is really an AFM signal will undoubtedly give sub-par results. This is tied to the fueling algorithms in the ECU, which I can't change (yet.)

There are better ways to get rid of the AFM, so I abandoned the idea.

furpo

there is the map-ecu. i have herd bad things about this though like problems with the throtle enrichment.

what do you hope to achive by getting rid of it? have you ever thought about the megasquirt?

roger

ruffneck

Forget about all those...go the Wolf 3D...plugs in. drives just as smooth as stock, more pwer, and complete control over EVERYTHING ( i have just discovered individual cylinder trim) . And NO AFM. cheap too..

ruffneck

well, it depends on your definition of cheap...for a full standalone EMS it is cheap...compared to a piggyback like on safc it's not...but buy a couple of those devices and you have paid for an ems anyway...prime example is my avcr boost controller that cost me $1000 au a couple of years ago...could have bought a wolf that will control boost sooo much better as well as do everything else for only a couple hundred more plus tuning...just seems to me if your'e going to keep the car for a couple of years and really want to get rid of the afm, don't f*&k around, do it right the first time.

Gary

I totally agree that stand alone is a best way to do it.
But it's not for everyone.
The thread starter originally asked if there is any other way to do it without going stand alone.

FWD-3SGTE":1c3mjhjr said:
Is there any way to get rid of that big annoying MAF sensor in the engine bay (I think thats what its called) - I wanna clear up sum room but not ready to go stand alone! any ideas would be awesome!!

thanx

ruffneck

The thread starter originally asked if there is any other way to do it without going stand alone.
Yeah that's true, sorry didn't read message closely enough I guess. Was just trying to change his mind lol.

OlyST185

my solution: Megasquirt, full standalone fully programmable, 350$

continuous advance is technology, its a DIY open source so a lot of person are sharing their experience and addon they made themself.
it can contro first of all timing, fuel then boost, nitrous, co2, water injection,etc...
all you need is : O2 sensor (wide band or narrow band), air temp sensor, water temp sensor, throttle position sensor and knock sensor for safety.

so get rid of that huge, going to everywhere, ugly harness and AFM.
all those sensors can be monitored with a laptop, so no dyno is needed.
many programs are available for free.
theres some extra outputs and inputs to set other stuff such nitrous etc...
cheer for that
my 2 cents

enzytebob

furpo":1s8hpinb said:
there is the map-ecu. i have herd bad things about this though like problems with the throtle enrichment.

what do you hope to achive by getting rid of it? have you ever thought about the megasquirt?

roger

Here's info about map-ecu but it looks like it's for MAF-based systems. You can check if this can replace AFM-based system.

http://www.suprastore.com/mapecu.html

OlyST185":1s8hpinb said:
yes im in canada and the change currency is damn good these times

Hehe.. touche.. US dollar sucks right now. :cry:

CodingParadox

Wow, 900$ for that.

I'm working on a MAP conversion kit as we speak. Not sure how long it'll be before it's ready, but it will probably be in the 100$ range, not the 1000$ range. Jesus.

___Scott___

OK, by a show of hands, who ISN'T working on a conversion kit of some kind? :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink:

(Looks around)

That's what I thought. Everyone is working on a conversion kit. :shock: