Need help identifying an ECU

Soup84

The part number is all scratched off and unreadable. I've been looking at all sorts of pinouts and I've come close, but then I match the part number to another pinout and it doesn't match. The engine was swapped with a JDM motor and I have all the paperwork, but it only says "owner supplied motor and transmission" so I have no idea which gen motor it actually has. The pins closely matches "JDM ST185 Gen II 1993" in the pic, but when I look up the pinout from ECU part numbers: 89661-2B280 or 2B310, they don't match.

Any help in IDing this would be great or maybe someone could recommend a good company to rebuild it. Thanks!

rsz_1rsz_20180219_190008.jpg

pinoutsfixed.jpg

underscore

89661-2B280 shows up as JDM 91 GTFour ECU. 89661-2B310 is a JDM 91 GTFour RC ECU. I see an EGW pin in your ECU, which is for the exhaust temp probe I believe, and I think that was a JDM only thing.

What exactly are you trying to do to it? If you just want the caps replaced the specs should be on the side of each cap.

FC Zach

underscore":1gj3lmkk said:
What exactly are you trying to do to it? If you just want the caps replaced the specs should be on the side of each cap.

Agreed, I that's what I did with mine. I got a bag of ten for a few bucks off ebay.
36062826360_f8bebf1ae6_n.jpg

36323206191_81138ca16e_n.jpg

36460406205_e659483b1a_n.jpg

36292022912_a1237e70c9_n.jpg

Here's a not so good picture I took a while ago of the pins on mine. . Looks the same, from what I can tell.
39663508234_d13a0e509e_c.jpg

Soup84

I'd love to just replace the cap, but my capacitor fluxed a bit too much. lol.
rsz_20180217_103730.jpg

That's a little too much damage for me to tackle, so I'm trying to find a good company to repair it. Unless I can match up the pins and get a new one.

Redrkt01

There is a guy in southern illinois that does it for pretty cheap. Has his own electronics shop. Goes thru the whole board.

Soup84

Update: I've shipped the ECU off for repair and was told they wouldn't fix it.

I took a detailed look at the ECU pins and what is actually pinned on the connector. No ECU pinouts I have looked at exactly match up. The closest I can get is an SW20 ECU part number -17390.
I've attached most of what I've been looking at including the my current pinout (my ECU on top and the connector just below)

Please... please... someone help me make sense of this!!!!

Attachments

• pinoutsfixed.jpg
    pinoutsfixed.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 3,758
  • Copy of 3SGTE_ECU_PINOUT-1.xls
    46.5 KB · Views: 185
  • rsz_20180421_141203_001.jpg
    rsz_20180421_141203_001.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 3,756

alltracman78

I don't know which one you have but I can give you some info so you can figure it out. I'm assuming you have a Gen II 3SGTE.

1-US Gen II 3SGTEs have a heater wire for the O2 sensor, JDM ones don't. So if you have a 1 wire O2 senor you have a JDM ECU. If you have a 4 wire, you probably have a US ECU, though it is possible to have a US harness with the heater wire connected to a JDM ECU.

2-92/93 ECUs have a second circuit board above the first. It's for more detailed diagnostics. So if you only have 1 circuit board you have a 90/91 ECU. I believe that goes to 91/92 and 92 - 95 for the MR2?

3-The RC ECU has a pin for the intercooler level sensor. It's an open spot on all non RC ECUs. I don't remember which connector off the top of my head, but look it up, and if you have it, you have an RC ECU [or very slightly possibly a CS or Grp A]. If not, you have a regular ECU.

4-JDM engines came with a EGT sensor after the catalytic converter. If you have one, you have a JDM engine.

The US and JDM ECUs are plug and play with each other as long as you have the same revision [90/91 or 92/93] with the exception that a US ECU will throw a O2 heater code with a JDM harness.

The RC ECU is plug and play with the 92/93 ECUs except for the intercooler level sensor.

IIRC the MR2 ECUs are also plug and play with the same revision Celica ECU, but I'm not positive on that. If not very close.

The 2 revisions are very similar wiring wise. only 5? wires are different between the connectors, and either will run either engine just fine.

That's all I can think of right now, hopefully that helps.

Soup84

Thanks so much for the help! Pretty sure it was a JDM motor with a US harness. Picked up a JDM ECU on eBay and she's running great again!!!

alltracman78":jgepk9hy said:
I don't know which one you have but I can give you some info so you can figure it out. I'm assuming you have a Gen II 3SGTE.

1-US Gen II 3SGTEs have a heater wire for the O2 sensor, JDM ones don't. So if you have a 1 wire O2 senor you have a JDM ECU. If you have a 4 wire, you probably have a US ECU, though it is possible to have a US harness with the heater wire connected to a JDM ECU.

2-92/93 ECUs have a second circuit board above the first. It's for more detailed diagnostics. So if you only have 1 circuit board you have a 90/91 ECU. I believe that goes to 91/92 and 92 - 95 for the MR2?

3-The RC ECU has a pin for the intercooler level sensor. It's an open spot on all non RC ECUs. I don't remember which connector off the top of my head, but look it up, and if you have it, you have an RC ECU [or very slightly possibly a CS or Grp A]. If not, you have a regular ECU.

4-JDM engines came with a EGT sensor after the catalytic converter. If you have one, you have a JDM engine.

The US and JDM ECUs are plug and play with each other as long as you have the same revision [90/91 or 92/93] with the exception that a US ECU will throw a O2 heater code with a JDM harness.

The RC ECU is plug and play with the 92/93 ECUs except for the intercooler level sensor.

IIRC the MR2 ECUs are also plug and play with the same revision Celica ECU, but I'm not positive on that. If not very close.

The 2 revisions are very similar wiring wise. only 5? wires are different between the connectors, and either will run either engine just fine.

That's all I can think of right now, hopefully that helps.