quasi-emergency...HELP!

HaPpYfAcE

ok...so this isn't really a big emergency, so i'm just gonna post it here. i have a car to drive while the Trac sits.

here's the scenario.

before i left my house at 1130 i was messing with the idle adjustment screw and the TPS. i unscrewed the top screw to the TPS and was moving it that way. then found the idle adj screw and took my idle from 1400 to ~800. i used a digital tach hooked up to the IG- port next to the diagnostic connecter in the engine bay.

i left the house, got gas, went to best buy and around 1220, as i was pulling into a bank, the car stalled. it was a right turn into the bank...the road rises kinda sharply right there, so it was a decent bump...

i thought at first that there might be a fuel cut-off switch, but i can't find anything in my Chilton's manual about one. (aside from a cut-off valve in the fuel tank).

for those of you that haven't seen my thread on the MBC i installed, i've been having problems with the car already. this is all_trac_power's celica alltrac that he was selling in supposed excellent condition...if anyone happens to know a better way to get in touch with him aside from his cell phone, please p.m. me or hit me up on a messenger.

ok...back on topic.

please read the other thread...here's the link...

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5789

let me know what you guys think...

it's getting spark from the igniter to the distributor. i was pulling one of my spark plug wires and it broke inside the plug cylinder, but it still plugs into the plug itself. maybe it's the plug wires.

i can smell gas when i try to crank it, though. if i give it more gas, it still doesn't start. i can hear the exhaust popping every once in a while...almost like a backfire, but not really.

that's all i can think of right now. i'm not really gonna have much time to look at the car until thursday, so i appreciate everything in advance and i will try my best to answer any info questions you have.

Griffin

My guess would be that it might have been some bad gas or water in the gas you got - pull the plugs, dry them, crank the engine over a few times with them out and the fuel pump unplugged or circuit opening relay pulled, put some dry gas in the tank, put the plugs back in, pop a vacuum line off, and spray carb clean or starter fluid in and see if she lights up. If she does put the hose back, disconnect the fuel line - pump about a gallon worth into a bucket - reconnect, and try to start again.

HaPpYfAcE

i still need help with this....when i crank the engine over i can smell gas in the muffler...i don't see anything disconnected...that includes wires or vacuum lines. there was this alarm, if you can call it that, installed on the car and i took that out today, thinking it may be something to do with that...it wasn't. car still won't start

i'm gonna replace the spark plug wires, too, regardless, because they're looking pretty crappy. i'm gonna check the plugs for spark, too, as soon as i get new ones.

anyone else have any idea as to whether the alltrac had a fuel cut off switch or not?

JOSH

I bought an alltrac and right away took the whole thing apart and redid it all. I didnt really drive it first. when I put it back together i could not get the thing to start. I checked everything several times and everything seemed to be in order. I finally realized sometimes i would get spark sometimes not, It was just a bad connector, found that out by wiggling connectors and bangin stuff. Thought i had it figured out but it still wouldnt start. Took apart the interior to get to the ECU took apart the connectors and cleaned the daylights out of them pugged it back in and started right up.

Now your car seemed to run and you didnt have anything apart but checking all your connections would be a good idea and any other stupid little things.

Also checkin your gas as stated above is a good idea, have seen cars get gas and drive for about 100 yards and die, so if you havent done it I would.

Good Luck

Josh
Pa st185

HaPpYfAcE

yeah, so....i found the problem...enjoy.

DSC00487.JPG

DSC00488.JPG

DSC00489.JPG

DSC00491.JPG

BraveUlysses

Woah. Looks like time to get a new dizzy anyway since you can see oil inside it. Look up the part number in the FAQ section and order from partznet for waaaaaaaay cheap pricing on it.

HaPpYfAcE

i'm starting to hate this car...after putting everything back together and finally figuring out that the chilton manual had the cylinders numbered wrong, the car idles fine now... it starts, idles, but when i rev it, it's real shaky and doesn't boost. sounds like it just has an intake on there...no turbo or somethin. when i drive it, feels like crap. no boost, barely spools the turbo.

i really don't know what the problem is. i'm gonna check the throttle position sensor voltage, but other than that, i'm not sure what else i was fuckin with that would cause it to have this problem. i'll be doin some research on the board, as well..just to see if anything like this has happened to someone else.

Sifu

Check for any engine codes. Sounds like it could be a bad knock sensor. Could also be a loose hose (vacuum hose, loose connector to something, afm issues). Double check all hoses again. I know it's a pain. At least your POS drives! I haven't even been abled to drive my Alltrac EVER!!!

GOOD LORD LOOK AT THAT DISTRIBUTOR!!!