Anyone use LINKPLUS ECUs?

Sleeka_89

I'm running a St185 in my st162 and problems arosed with the computer so im just gonna rip the whole thing out and put in a stand alone. I've just been lookin and i came across the LinkPlus which looked really good with heaps of feature. i was just wondering if any1 uses it, and if any1 has anyother suggestions. After getting a quote for a MOTEC im willing to listen to any1. :shock:

THANKS

furpo

we are using one in our drift car. it is an ok unit but does have its limitations.

not having ignition trims you are always going to be down on power compared to a motec. this ecu does not have a wide band input so if you want to tune it yourself you need to go spend $500 us on the likes of an LM1 wideband logger. the tuning softwere is crap. it takes a lot of learning to get it right. the knock sensor function also is crap, we turned it off. listen for knock with some other knock gaurd system.

the launch controller works very well. we even use it for drifting in the rain. the boost controller also works well if you use a motec solinod which is cheaper than the crap link unit.

at the end of the day this is a very good value for money ecu and is 300 times better than the toyota ecu. it drives very well, when tuned it is very good on fuel and it will make as much power out there as any other ecu that does not have ignition or fuel trims.

have you thought about waiting for the new links to come out? these are suppost to me much nicer units with revised tuning softwere.

roger

Sleeka_89

Yeah i heard that a new link was coming out soon which was meant to be heaps better, but i dont when its coming out and i need a computer pretty much now. My celica is my daily driver and its not going atm and i need to get it working asap. MOTEC is the best option but i dont want to pour that much money into a stand alone, so i was tossing up between a mircotech and the link. The only reason i'm thinking about the link is because it was on a high octane movie and they hooked it up to an mr2 with good result. I wouldnt be using the plug-in-play system cause i did a conversion so no matter wat computer i choose i'll have to wire it in, which is another reason i was thinking the link cause it only has 7 sensors...apparently. So has the link caused u much trouble? How much extra was the motec solinod? Wat else do you have to buy to make it a boost controller aswell? Way did you do to fix the knock sensor?

Thanks for your help

Steve

furpo

i would go for the microtec over the link. the microtech does not have a boost control function however. the link and microtec are very similar in performance so get what suits you and your tuner.

the boost control solinoid was $80nz. nothing else needed to be brought, only the solinoid needed to be wired in and plumbed up. if you are using the link make sure you use a combination of tps and map for the load scale, it works a lot better. we had trouble with burning coils out on the rb20. it was more that we did not earth the coils properly than a fault with the ecu. the instruction book did not say we had to do this but after talking to andre at speedtech we did it and we have had no more trouble. we fixed the knock sensor by putting it in my spud gun and fireing as far as 1/2 L of nitro methanie would fire it. i listen for knock with a head set now.

this car is a race car so we do not use things like idle control or worry about fuel economy. this engine makes as much power as it would with any other ecu that does not control fuel or ignition trims. the only other problem with the link plus is it does not support a wide band o2 sensor so you really need to have the engine dyno tuned or buy a wide band o2 sensor like the LM-1 which is what i use.

roger

ruffneck

from what i understand the microtech's are geared towards straight-line performance...you can get a good result out of them powerwise but little driveability compared to other ecu's available...once again i would recommend the wolf 3d...available as a plugin for the st185...i'm having some minor issues with mine, but the car runs great, and for street level/mild race it has some great features.

Sleeka_89

furpo":23fdnwo0 said:
we fixed the knock sensor by putting it in my spud gun and fireing as far as 1/2 L of nitro methanie would fire it. i listen for knock with a head set now.
HAHHAHAH :lol:
Kool, thanks for you help, i placed an order for a mircotech and hopefully get it in the mail shortly. I bought the hand contoller that holds 4 maps on it so that should be some fun. I'll just be glad when its back on the road.... thanks again :D

furpo

no worries. always glad to help.

ruffneck, the microtec can deliver a very good daily driver. i have driven a few lt8s equiped cars and they where great. it is the same with all ecu's, tuning, tuning, tuning. i have driven so called tuned motec equiped cars that where sacks of shit untill someone who knew what they where doing tuned them. while i agree the wolf is a very good ecu the microtec is also very good so the difference between the two should not be noticed in terms of drivability.

one tip with the microtec. save the start up map onto the hand controller and do not delete it. if everything fails you can go back to it. the microtec has some random information that you need that will be lost if shit happens.

roger