autronic sm(c/2/4) vs. haltech E6X

cozmic512

hey all,
just wondering if anyone has done either of these ems systems for comparison. It seems the autronic is preferred by most here but anyone have comments on the haltech?
it seems the smc and the e6x are pretty similar in specs
http://www.haltech.com.au/e6x.htm
http://www.autronic.com/page_files/smc_kit.htm

after I got the jspec motor running with a jdm stock ecu it made me realize its time for ems. so just trying to do my homework so I dont have to look back and say I shoulda got the other one. one thing the smc has is the autotune ability and launch control :D
haltech it seems doesnt have this.
anyway, TIA

cozmic512

hey,
I think youre asking who I am going to bring it to to install it. and the only tuner who ever touches my car. Me :shock:

but seriously, after getting bitten by not 1(toyota) not 2(paisley) but 3 so called tuners anywhere in the vicinity of LI, NY nobody touches my car. I have had only good results with a bit of a learning curve, but thats fine by me. it wastes a bit of money here and there but I gain knowledge of this car that no one around here seems to have. Its a complex car, and there is a lot to it, but I like working on it. not as much as driving it of course,

really, paisley did ok by me but they didnt do anything I couldnt do. it just takes a while to learn. so Ive been reading dennis' site and his autronic, and about the shuttle and it seems he does pretty well with his. is the haltech too new for anyone to have tested with it on our cars?
sorry this is long winded, I was thinking about it and I will call paisley and see what they recommend too.

thanks,
Cory

Gary

What James meant is the guy who is going to tune your EMS, not the installer. Are you going to tune it by yourself?

cozmic512

hey,

oh my bad. I hope that came across the right way. not like I think Im some sort of super mechanic or something.

alright enough of that. yes I am going to tune myself. I have assisted in tuning motecs before but never on a turbo car. so I know there are some differences but Im hoping I can use my previous knowledge. Either one I choose will be getting a start up map as well as a "tuned map" for a similar setup to mine. So I would be using those as well as my GTech and some track time.
at least it will be fun right :wink:

thanks again

Zeus

autronic is very user friendly to tune... ive been tunning mine myself..

however neither of the ems you quote are plug and play... going with a plug and play would save you lots of headaches and would be much easier if you ever deiced to take it out and go back to the stock ecu... something to think about

acylon

Is the nemisis plug and play for an ST185? I don't know 'cause I have a 165 loom and it had to be custom wired into my loom by Ricky B.
I have heard good things about AEM. BTW Horsepowerfreaks sells these.

I think both the AEM and Nemisis are plug and play for st185. They both come with base maps too.

I have had good results with the Nemisis. BTW KOracing sells these.

cozmic512

hey,

both the aem and the nemesis are plug and play for the 185. am def looking into these now. they seem to have most of the same basic functions.
BLAKE : you seem to like working with the autronic. any real headaches or foul ups. is the tuning process really tedious or are you having some fun at least figuring it out. I am really leaning toward this one. it seems to have the best menu of options and can really control big injectors for idling. plus I have heard MOSTLY good things about it from all who have them.