Map Sensor Question

jprine01

Basically I have a st205 WRC intake, in the stock water injector spot (same exact bolt patern and gasket as cold start injector) I put a GM temp sensor.. And i have a AEM 3.5bar map sensor to mount. The map sensor has a 1/8" NPT thread on the end, and is round clyinder type in shape.

My plan is to buy a M16x1.5 to 1/8" NPT adapter and thread it right into the manifold where the stock air temp sensor was. But im wondering.. How sensitive are these things, seems like the stock one has a inline filter going to it to keep crap out of the sensor. Being mounted directly into the manifold am i risking messing up the sensor over time with the junk that goes though there? (by junk i mean all the stuff that makes the insides of those manifolds black, although i have no EGR now).

Alternative is to run a vacume line to the sensor and somehow mount it somewhere, I'd really rather have it right in the manifold, seems like it would get a better reading even.

___Scott___

Tests have been run on other speed-density systems where the MAP sensor was connected with 30 feet of vacuum hose. There was no measurable difference in response time of the sensor (which is in the neighborhood of 1ms.) Also, the vibration of being mounted directly to the engine may generate error in the readings.

I doubt the sensor would be happy with the heat either. The MAP sensors I have data for are rated for -40C to +125C (257F).

jprine01

Hrmm ok thats interesting to know. Mine is actually rated for -40 to 105c, but i think ill put it on the firewall then. stick a bolt in that hole.