Are 165 and 185 tranny intercahngable

gt4ever

I am sorry for even posting this, I am 90% sure they are, but I know someone on here will know for sure. Are 185 and 165 tranny interechangable. I need a new tranny for my 185 and someone offered me a 165 tranny for $80 in good condition.
Also does anyone know off the top of their head what the difference in gear ratio will be between the two trannies?

thanks in advance.
Brier B.
1991 st185

gt4ever

Sup chris, long time no talk,
Yea, looks like I might actually get a 205 trans!!!! Hey man, what is so special about them compaired to the other trannies?

Let me know man, and hows ur 4?

Aight, catch you around,
Brier B

Gary

gt4ever":29flffzk said:
what is so special about them compaired to the other trannies?
E150F (ST185) 3.384 1.913 1.333 0.972 0.731
E154F (ST205) 3.384 1.913 1.258 0.918 0.731
E154F also has dual cone synchros, but no FWD selector.

killer_siller

FWD selector? ST185 had a FWD selector?

also...

LSD is in back, so it wouldn't make a difference; you could use the rear end out of your ST185.

that is unless your talking the viscous-coupling center differential, that i haven't a clue about (seems to be my trend on this board).

i wanna know why you would have a FWD selector, for christ sake, your carrying all that extra weight, might as well put it to use...

Gary

killer_siller":1n7su6ii said:
FWD selector? ST185 had a FWD selector?

also...

LSD is in back, so it wouldn't make a difference; you could use the rear end out of your ST185.

that is unless your talking the viscous-coupling center differential, that i haven't a clue about (seems to be my trend on this board).

i wanna know why you would have a FWD selector, for christ sake, your carrying all that extra weight, might as well put it to use...

FWD mode is not intended to be used on street. For testing only.
You can read more on Bill's site:
(The infamous FWD jpegs!)
http://home.covad.net/~billprice/Cars/

And viscous-coupling center diff is also considered an LSD type diff.