JDM Power Folding Mirror wiring (for future reference)

Disco Dan

Ok I just finished this and I'm pretty much too tired to label all of it, but here's the gist of it:

For those that have the set, just match up your colors to the diagram. This diagram, of course, assumes you're using ST185 mirrors, and also assumes you have the relay, the kind with 11 wires. The top cluster is your switch, the bottom middle cluster is your relay, the right cluster is the mirror (wire harnes & mirror wire colors), and the left cluster is the left mirror. It's right. It works. Save this in an archive so anyone else who asks can be done with it. I'll add any explanations when I get back into town. Enjoy.

mirrorwiring.jpg

D

P.S. I know little to nothing about electrical wiring or diagrams except what I've learned from this and other forums, so I apologize if this diagram isn't up to electrician spec, or whatever.

smoothray

Hey, thanks for the diagram....i just got my hands on some jdm folding mirrors today off a 1992 JDM Celica, and it came with the relay and such, so this is a big help!

Thanks, GaryMD

A

Anonymous

Another recent discovery:

If you notice, the set up requires two positive inputs (grey & blue/yellow) and one ground (white/black). I've found that if you pop out the middle vent piece, you'll notice that there are four wires going to the clock. One is green. Forget that one. The other three, however, are white/black (ground), grey (15A Cig/radio), and blue/yellow (20A dome). The grey you don't have to worry about since that's coming from the switch, which is already wired in the USDM cars. But for the white/black and blue/yellow, the clock is a great place to splice the connections to the relay. If you get some of those wire tap-ins available at radioshack just splice from the blue/yellow and white/black wires on the rear of the clock and you can probably also stick the relay back there. There's enough space for it. I haven't actually done this myself, since I haven't had the time to get it all done, and because I want to have the wires going from the mirror into the door harness to go through the wire loom, so it's not a big homemade-wiring-job mess.

I think what I'm going to do for that is take the stock 3-hole terminal cover off of the harness end of the mirror wires, and put the three wire terminals into the 7-hole jdm terminal cover. Then leave the outer 4 (2 on each side) wires coming from the jdm terminal cover, and try and run those through the existing loom, but the space in the loom is already pretty tight, so I'm not sure how I'm going to do that exactly.

Once the wires are through the loom and under the dash, there are 4 empty holes in the blue connector (IC1) which I'll use to keep everything neat. From there, run to the relay behind the dash. This all seems to make sense in my head and on paper, but we'll see how it plays out in reality. I mean, it'll be functional, but as far as fitting everything and making it look pretty, that part's still up in the air... or on the floor of my basement as the case may be.

D

maroon_185

Ok i got some mirrors for Christmas today and that diagram is right for my mirrors but my retract control and switch have different number of wires and colors, So I am posting some pictures of the switch and box to show how i did the diagram I will also post.

f0ec8368.jpg

f0ec8228.jpg

f0ec810a.jpg

SuperWhite92

are those pictures of your stock mirror wiring, or the stuff you just got? I'm wondering, because I have the same problem, although it may be opposite of you.

maroon_185

It looks nothing like that one, it goes stright in and uses flat pins instead of round like the JDM switch I have. here is a picture

f0e3d8ab.jpg

edit: can someone look up this part # and tell me if I have the right retract control 85964-20020

Disco Dan

Hey can you post a picture of the switch itself? That connector is really strange. I'm wondering if someone got you the 4th gen or 6th gen set up. That would explain the differences. Very strange.

SuperWhite92

maroon_185":3s5pxiz7 said:
the switch looks exaclty like the stock one except with the retract button off to side

My current JDM switch looks like yours, although the last set of folders I owned had a switch that exactly resembled your stock one. Basically, we need to know the pinouts of the flat style switch, and we can do another diagram.

Attempt to post pinout without having to send pictures
I have electrical books for both 90 celica and 90 alltrac, here is
what both have for stock remote control mirror

Switch

1..2.....tab......3

SW-1=GR (goes to 15A cig&radio in fuse block)
SW-2=LG-R (spliced and goes to pin 2 of both mirrors)
SW-3=W-B (earth,ground)
SW-4=not used
SW-5=LG-B (to RH mirror, pin 3)
SW-6=LG (to RH mirror, pin 1)
SW-7=BR-Y (to LH mirror, pin 3)
SW-8=BR-W (to LH mirror, pin 1)

maroon_185

no mine doesn't use pin 4, you have to look at the connector from the other side

can someone else post a picture of their retract control box.

maroon_185

Ok, I have the relay hooked up and it operates the mirros except that the mirros go past where they should stop, any ideas on what to so about this?

Toxygene

Is it worth it to get the relay? I have the mirrors and the switch but I've been told this can all be accomplished using a radio shack type relay.

Has anyone been able to do this and can they post what wires went where?

If anyone wants I can post pictures of the switch and the part of the harness that is still attached to it.

maroon_185

i can't get anythign out of the people that have tried the relay, I got it to move the mirrors in and out but no luck getting them to stop. :-(